Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:25:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Tarpon 120 Front Hatch leak  (Read 16126 times)

AdMan

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2009
2009 Tarpon 120

Looks like the front hatch is letting a decent amount of water inside the kayak. To be fair this is usually during those outings that I take a few waves over the front.

Anyone else have this problem? Solutions?

AdMan

• Salmon
  • View Profile
FYI,

I have read that this front hatch leak is quite common and there currently isnt a fix provided by the Mfg. The front hatch seal is made poorly and will eventually start to let water in like mine has.

If your going to purchase a Tarpon ask about the hatch and what you've read here before buying.

AdMan

• Salmon
  • View Profile
65 views.  :smt044

FWIW - here is a link from Wilderness Systems own website. This is customer feedback on the exact same issue I am having.

http://wildernesssystems.ning.com/forum/topics/leaking-tarpon-120?id=3144570%3ATopic%3A14262&page=1

« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 01:06:08 PM by AdMan »

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
What a drag. I only have an older tarpon 140, from 2005 I think, with the "tupperware" style hatches.
Until today I always figured the locking style hatches were an upgrade.

These are popular hulls & I'll be interested to see what the outcome is.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

AdMan

• Salmon
  • View Profile
What a drag. I only have an older tarpon 140, from 2005 I think, with the "tupperware" style hatches.
Until today I always figured the locking style hatches were an upgrade.

These are popular hulls & I'll be interested to see what the outcome is.

First time I saw the new Tarpon I was very impressed by the hatches. Obviously a bummer from a personal standpoint today but to read others have had the same issue is telling.

When you look at the design of the hatches it makes sense why they would leak. It's basically just a foam seal with the locking mechs to smash it down. That foam seal starts to move or warp  :smt012...... There is also a 1/4" gap where the seal doesnt meet up. It's like the seal was made to a smaller spec. I've tried gooping that area and water still gets in from other areas of the hatch.

Lots of Marine Goop around the whole hatch and a towel inside the hull is what kept water from reaching my center hatch last time out. The towel was wet but nowhere near the amount of water had I not gooped the seal. Hopefully they figure it out.

CGN-38

• Del Valle Storm Trooper
  • Sea Lion
  • Survivor Del Valle FnC 09'
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
 :smt006

I don't have one of those, but can kind of picture it, is there no way to say reinforce the seal with some weatherstriping?  Maybe attach the weatherstripping to the hatch or the hull? (Whichever surface doesn't have the seal)

Member/survivor STORM TROOPER Brigade

AdMan

• Salmon
  • View Profile
:smt006

I don't have one of those, but can kind of picture it, is there no way to say reinforce the seal with some weatherstriping?  Maybe attach the weatherstripping to the hatch or the hull? (Whichever surface doesn't have the seal)

MarineGoop is about the most I can get on this plastic to stick and fill the seal groove.

I've asked about this to the Mfg. directly and was just ignored.

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
do you think the old KZ "frog butt" hatch seal upgrade would help? I don't quite get what is causing the leak through your descriptions, is it the gasket?  without pictures its difficult to visualize.

My old cobra marauder used to leak through the hatches until I did the frog butt upgrade.  after that not a thing.

here's a link to that thread from back in 2006.  It may help you or it may not.

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,5204.0.html

AdMan

• Salmon
  • View Profile
do you think the old KZ "frog butt" hatch seal upgrade would help? I don't quite get what is causing the leak through your descriptions, is it the gasket?  without pictures its difficult to visualize.

My old cobra marauder used to leak through the hatches until I did the frog butt upgrade.  after that not a thing.

here's a link to that thread from back in 2006.  It may help you or it may not.

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,5204.0.html

The hatch has a gasket just like that one and uses the locking clamps of the "door" to secure the hatch tightly on the gasket. The first issue is that the gasket is missing about 1/4" between it where it doesnt meet up. Beyond that the clamps on the door do not put enough pressure on the gasket to keep it water tight. I noticed the gasket had wear grooves in it from where the hatch had settled over time. I tried flipping the seal over to take advantage of that nice flat even surface and just as much water got in. The door clamps simply dont close it tight enough. In order to "build" on that gasket to create pressure I applied marine goop on the door where it meets the gasket. This applied enough pressure to keep a good deal of the water out but it still was enough to soak a beach towel.

I'll def. look into this foam material and see if it helps. At .55 a foot, it's worth a try.  :smt003

Thank you for the link.

Abdiver

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2007
I'll def. look into this foam material and see if it helps. At .55 a foot, it's worth a try.

I used the Santoprene foam on my cobra hatches several years ago and it is still bone dry after each use. The trick is after each use release the hatch to allow the foam to regain its original shape. Also during the install of the foam don't just butt the end edges up but instead cut each at a 45 deg angle to eliminate  any leakage.
Ocean Kayak Pro Staff
Johnson Outdoors

tiny

• Striper
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2009
I have a .tarpon 140 mine leaks when I poor a bucket of water on the front hatch.It seems that the hinge leaks.I'm going to look into waterproofing.Thanks for posting.Let me know if you come up with something.I will do the same

tiny
A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve,not by the desire to beat others-Ayn Rand

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 urban camo
RTM Abaco orange and black   HELL YEAH

AdMan

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I'll def. look into this foam material and see if it helps. At .55 a foot, it's worth a try.

I used the Santoprene foam on my cobra hatches several years ago and it is still bone dry after each use. The trick is after each use release the hatch to allow the foam to regain its original shape. Also during the install of the foam don't just butt the end edges up but instead cut each at a 45 deg angle to eliminate  any leakage.

Thank you for the tip. That will be useful!

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
hope it works out for you, get back to us if it works!  you can try to imitate the ocean coming over your bow with a hose.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I found about 2 gallons of water inside my 2009 T140 last Friday.
It was stored on it's side, with the open-side (port) of the front hatch facing upward...outside in the rain. I've found a cup or two inside the hull after rough days on the ocean...but I never felt too concerned about it. Well, I am rethinking my casual concern; this may be a serious issue. Obviously, I was very disappointed to find so much water in the hull after leaving it outside in the rain. I have stored it like this in the past w/out issues. So I have a feeling the hatch seal is failing. I've owned the yak for about 18 months and it has been used in the ocean only like 20-25 times. Funny...while I was trying to remember when I bought it, I did a search and found this: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,18666.0.html

I am going to do a proper inspection this week or the upcoming wknd to see where the water is coming from and try to fix it. In the meantime, please redact all the wonderful things I've said about WS yaks lol...
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Just as a comparison (since this topic of leaking hatches came up yesterday during a 'rodeo"-style paddle near MBK, I paddled my 2005 with the old style tupperware lid. I took a number of good greenishwind waves over the bow and was pretty sure I had water in the hull, but back on the beach not a drop. Old girl is still seaworthy as ever.

These boats are fundamentally solid, and it really bothers me that such a great hull design can be compromised by a "gee-gaw" like these new hatches. I think this is a real problem & really want to see WS address it for us ocean paddlers. I love this yak, but I would buy another brand of yak these days if I were in the market.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

anything