Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:47:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Poll

Based on Shark Shield's advertising, do you believe that proper usage of a Shark Shield keeps you safe from shark attack?

Yes.
17 (27%)
No.
12 (19%)
Unsure.  But having one can't hurt.
34 (54%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 11:04:35 AM

Topic: Shark Shield - Yay or Nay  (Read 8677 times)

I Zod Out

• I think(?) I got a bite!
  • Salmon
  • A Shark is already in the boat
  • View Profile I Zod Out
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
A couple of friends recently went on a drift down the coast from Via Creek (Ab Farm) to Cayucos. The both were towing a shark shield. The only fish they caught were dog fish. Doesn''t exactly instill confidence in the units?

I Zod Out
Our world was NOT deeded to us by our forefathers... it was loaned to us by our children.

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
A couple of friends recently went on a drift down the coast from Via Creek (Ab Farm) to Cayucos. The both were towing a shark shield. The only fish they caught were dog fish. Doesn''t exactly instill confidence in the units?

I Zod Out
Why, because they didn't catch anything good or because all they caught were dogfish?  The Shark Shield only protects a limited distance so catching dogfish down deeper than the range of the SS would be no fault of the unit.

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile

I Zod Out

I dive with one all the time and it doesn't bother fish.  Swim right through schools and they are not bothered. 
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

P-Sherman

• Sea Lion
  • I'm a p-sherman. Born to pish, porced to work.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013

I Zod Out
I've been fishing with the SS the last few months and never got skunked.

I got skunked last Saturday at the Delta fishing for stripers and I didn't have the SS on my kayak.  :smt044
John da P-Sherman
2015 Hobie Revolution 13 - Blue
Hurricane Skimmer 140 - Red

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007

I Zod Out

I had a great day catching both school fish and Lings when P-Sherman let me borrow his SS.  Now I own one. :smt004

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=67452.msg759668#msg759668
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

I Zod Out

• I think(?) I got a bite!
  • Salmon
  • A Shark is already in the boat
  • View Profile I Zod Out
Dog fish in my book ARE sharks! Admittedly, they are shallow water versions i.e.; brown smooth hound, gray smooth hounds, leopard sharks, and shovel nose guitarfish. The guys that caught these varieties in 30 to 40 feet of water over sandy bottoms with Shark Shields deployed were those mentioned above.. How come these sharks weren't warned to shy away?

I just offer this as a discussion item.

I Zod Out
Our world was NOT deeded to us by our forefathers... it was loaned to us by our children.

FishingForTheCure

• Manatee
  • View Profile
Because the effective range of a SS is a few meters with optimal in the 1m or less range; close contact.

SeaWeed

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
I don't think all sharks have the receptors for bio electrical movement. Mainly the large predators have those but I'm not sure.   
SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!

Formerdiver

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Dog fish in my book ARE sharks! Admittedly, they are shallow water versions i.e.; brown smooth hound, gray smooth hounds, leopard sharks, and shovel nose guitarfish. The guys that caught these varieties in 30 to 40 feet of water over sandy bottoms with Shark Shields deployed were those mentioned above.. How come these sharks weren't warned to shy away?

I just offer this as a discussion item.

I Zod Out

This is a great question and it has been mentioned here in a few posts but I'll try and sum it up from my understanding of Shark Shield and reading through the studies a bit.  Believe me, I am a freediver and hate drag and even more so getting shocked....few bad tasing incidents  :smt002 so I really wanted to make sure this thing was worth wearing.

Dogfish do in fact possess Ampullae of Lorenzini which is the sensory organ that shark shield targets. On some sharks that are either bottom feeders it may exist under the snout of the shark or in certain breeds such as seven gill or nurse shark the ampullae is diminished and the shark shield is not as much of a deterrent. 

Shark Shield is designed to target Great Whites, Tigers, Zambezi (Bull), Mako, Oceanic, Hammerhead sharks which are all extreme predators and have an extremely strong Amullae of Lorenzini.  As some other noted the range of the shark shield is strongest at 1M which is really when predatory sharks use there electrical receptors to detect prey.

I could write a bunch more but hopefully this helps somewhat.  Send me a pm if you have more in depth questions that I can take to Shark Shield and post the results here. I know this year has seen a lot more sharks than usual for most of us water folk up north  and in the  south and I think it is something that will continue to happen.   

I am a fan of anything that helps us exist with the sharks in a safe way and isn't something that just gives us piece of mind.  Believe me I feel the same way as most of you do......in Hawaii, Florida Gulf shark shield is a no brainer with bulls and tigers but the breaching white is obviously the scariest thing to think about and none of us are really sure if anything would deter that.

I talked at great length with Scott from Shark Shield when he visited and we have had many multiple email exchanges about it since and I feel they don't believe in it because it is their item but  because of the independent tests it has been through.  Here is a video that  did make me feel better though, Matt:

SeaWeed

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
Yes that Video is a great tool.
SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I am gonna try mine out at the Sonoma Coast this weekend.  Heard of some GWS activity at Tomales Point and Salmon Creek. 

FishingForTheCure

• Manatee
  • View Profile
I am gonna try mine out at the Sonoma Coast this weekend.  Heard of some GWS activity at Tomales Point and Salmon Creek.
So you're going to go do some 'product testing' for us, right? :smt002

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
So you're going to go do some 'product testing' for us, right? :smt002

YEah Baby!!  There's a few swimming around at Tomales Point according to topp.org.  I am going to be north of there.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 02:01:53 PM by FishingAddict »

anything