Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:29:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: New Model - Hobie Mirage Compass - $1950 MSRP  (Read 4629 times)

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Way to go Hobie on introducing a new entry level kayak.  These lower price points for pedal drives are definitely the way to introduce more people to pedal kayaking and fishing.  Seems like a decent kayak for the price point with the right specs.  Definitely bare bones but that gives people the opportunity to customize.  Not everyone needs a big front hatch.  Doesn't come stock with the 180 but that's not necessary for everyone.

https://www.hobie.com/kayaks/mirage-compass/

SPECIFICATIONS *
Crew: 1
Length: 12’ / 3.66 m
Width: 34” / 0.75 m
Capacity: 400 lbs / 181 kg
Fitted Hull Weight: 68 lbs / 31 kg *
Fully Rigged Weight: 87 lbs / 39 kg *
Hull Construction: Rotomolded Polyethylene

Click on pic to embiggen

« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 10:52:31 AM by bmb »

ljparton

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
I was hoping to see a Revo that was slightly wider 30-32", with more storage.

Cool option though, but I think I'll get the Outback. I've realized as fast and light as my Revo is, I want an outback. Mainly for storage and standing, and due to the fact that I don't go offshore nearly as much as I wish I did.

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
I was hoping to see a Revo that was slightly wider 30-32", with more storage.

Cool option though, but I think I'll get the Outback. I've realized as fast and light as my Revo is, I want an outback. Mainly for storage and standing, and due to the fact that I don't go offshore nearly as much as I wish I did.
I think we're at the beginning of a trend back towards more manageable entry level style kayaks without the huge weight and price increase, and that's a huge plus to me.  I would have liked them to use some nice side handles for cartopping.  I don't like the molded in ones.  Lots of manufacturers are getting away from them these days but I find kayaks to be very difficult to lift/shoulder carry without side handles.

I think we'll start to see more kayaks like this and hopefully prices coming back down.  The Perception Pilot is on sale almost everywhere for under $1600 right now.  I can imagine models from Jackson and OT/OK coming in around the 1700 price point once they're done building out their high ends. 

Wldrnshntr

• Sea Lion
  • Work hard play hard
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
I like the design except for pictured with pedals but no rudder
http://wall-acepainting.com/index.html
What we learn to do, we learn by doing- Aristotle   We few, we happy few, we
band of brothers. - Shakespeare
2009 Stump yard sale 1st place
Clear lake stormtrooper 2010
Del Valle How stormtrooper 2011
RBCII  2011 3rd place Big Fish

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
According to their specs, they have a drop down/skeg style rudder.  I didn't see how it deploys in the video, but this picture shows it sort of.  I don't know how well it will perform for "maneuverability". 

Quote from: Hobie
Easy Steering System
When you want to paddle or need to transport your Compass on shore, the spring-loaded rudder folds flush. Automatically kicks up if you hit something. Easy grip rudder handle provides fingertip steering.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 11:08:49 AM by bmb »

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Doesn't seem to come with side handles. 
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I think we're at the beginning of a trend back towards more manageable entry level style kayaks without the huge weight and price increase, ...

What do you consider a "huge weight"? At 87 pounds, I think this one should come with a hernia belt.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
I think we're at the beginning of a trend back towards more manageable entry level style kayaks without the huge weight and price increase, ...

What do you consider a "huge weight"? At 87 pounds, I think this one should come with a hernia belt.
anything above 75lbs non rigged weight is too heavy-for me, to cartop.  this one at 68lbs is fine.  I don't count fully rigged weight in kayaks as I remove seats and drives before cartopping.  85-100lbs on cart is OK.

I doubt I'll buy a compass as I'm happy with the kayaks I have, especially my MR12 which I think is a better overall fishing kayak than this one, but love that these choices are becoming available.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 01:13:27 PM by bmb »

Chadrock

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
If you want to thank a Vet, be a person worth fighting for.

1st place Red Barn Classic 2010

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
Doesn't seem to come with side handles.
No, but it does appear to have the "inside" molded handles like the Perception pilot does. 

SOMA

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013

The rudder issue peaked my interest.  I called Headwaters in Redding.  It has a rudder similar to the Pro Angler underneath with a handle on the left side. 

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
$2k?

That's a bargain for a new Hobie. I've heard that the Hobie sticker itself, with no kayak attached, goes for more than $1k...

But seriously, you can buy a new Outback or Revo 13 (or even a good quality used AI) for $2500, so I'm not sure this is such a good deal.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

Salty.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Very interesting. Weighs 13lbs less than an Outback with very close to the same dimensions. Says there's plenty of flat space to stand in the cockpit. Looking forward to getting a better look at the rudder system and the bottom of the hull.

Doing away with the rear 8" hatch was definitely worth the weight savings. I never use my rear hatch for anything so it's absence is no loss. For that matter if I could eliminate 10lbs the loss of the forward hatch would be worth it also. I think this might be a winner. Now the colors......not so much.

garyjwebb

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile

But seriously, you can buy a new Outback or Revo 13 (or even a good quality used AI) for $2500, so I'm not sure this is such a good deal.
Meh, if I was a beginner I'd not want to spend the $500 (+tax) more for features I don't need.  The primary difference between this hull and the Revo is that it's wider, and ostensibly more stable due to its design.  If you ever want to fish standing up, you'd not do it in a Revo.   Other than that, the Revo has a large front hatch that you need to open to access, a 8" rear hatch, two gear pockets, and a MD180.  None of those things are necessary for people.  Trade off is it has a smaller rear tankwell for crates.

The Outback is an additional 15lbs in weight, and only adds some flat mounting spots in addition to the stuff mentioned for the Revo. 

What I'm saying is we should be supporting manufacturers for trimming down the required hatches and options that cost money, and letting people make their own decisions of what they want to pay for.  $500 is over a 25% increase in price from the Compass, and used Hobie prices aren't holding their value as much as they used to due to the number of them out there.

Hopefully we see more and more of these options from all the kayak manufacturers which should lead in overall downward pressure in pricing.  I've been a little negative about the things Hobie has been doing recently due to the large cost increases over the past five years, and they're finally making steps in the right direction.  More kayak fishermen = better.  Cheaper prices means more money to spend on the true necessities like safety gear.  Now if they could only do something about the ridiculous markups on their accessories (especially the rebranded stuff) then we'd be talking.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 07:30:29 AM by bmb »

anything