Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:15:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:08:36 PM]

[Today at 06:06:38 PM]

[Today at 04:50:16 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Inside HMB jetty?  (Read 843 times)

simplycook

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2014
I'm working in Half Moon Bay this week and was thinking of taking my kayak with me to work.  I want to try paddling out in the afternoons, maybe drop crab traps and fish around the jetty. 

My question is if anyone has experience catching lings or RF inside the jetty.  I see many jetty fishermen catch RF and lings on south jetty facing outside, but what about inwards towards the harbor?  I'm not too comfortable roaming in open ocean by myself, except in areas I've been guided many times. 

Any advice would help.  Plan on heading out Tuesday afternoon.  Maybe every afternoon this week if the weather is good.

Thanks,
Kevin

Da Bruddah

• Salmon
  • Da Bruddah with my son Gabe, Whitefish, Montana
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013
Hi Kevin,
Most of the NCKA'ers fish for rockfish and lings farther out past the green buoy, sort of south West, maybe a mile out?
Most kayakers don't fish inside the jetty as there is very little underwater structure and bait around. Also, if there are some bigger swells, it can be a little rough right at the mouth of the jetty as you head out to sea,
If you have the right safety equipment, good life jacket, wet suit, VHF radio, there are NCKA'ers always going out of HMB.
I would suggest that you hook with bunch of guys and tag along, just to feel comfortable out in the open ocean.
My fishing buddy Lingading and I have not been going out HMB recently as there seems to be a big change in the bait and fish count. seems like there has not been a lot of fish around, maybe El Nino/warmer waters have changed the food supply to deeper waters/ I don't know.
Any way, you are most welcome to join us, next time we go out. It's a lot safer and more fun going out with other NCKA Bruddahs!!!!!
Whether you catch any fish or not, HMB is a very beautiful paddle out!!!
Keep in touch,
Aloha,
Da Bruddah (Michael Y., Oakland, CA
Enjoy this slide show that were taken today:
Link to Point San Pablo Yacht Harbor-7/15/17 NCKA Fishing Tournament:

Link to 7-15-17 Striper?Hali Tournament Slideshow:

http://play.smilebox.com/SpreadMoreHappy/4e4455314d6a51344e7a5a384d5441304f4445324e7a63780d0a

2016 Hobie Revo 13
2014 Hobie Oasis Tandem

simplycook

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2014
Thanks Michael for the tips.  I'm not new to kayak fishing but I'm still not super comfortable in open ocean yet, especially a mile or two off shore.  I frequent the Bay a lot, San Rafael, Paradise, Berkeley flats, and Richmond, but those areas are easy launches and the fishing areas are close to shore.

Weather is beautiful right now.  Looks like I'm going to head to Linda Mar and drop some crab pots then drift for stripers or surf fish for perch. 

Will have a report at the end of the day.

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
if you decide to do HMB, I would love a report on the area. I'm heading over there middle of July for our annual golf trip to Half Moon Bay Golf links. Staying Friday to Sunday so debating on bringing the kayak to do some fishing before it or after :D thanks