Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:28:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Big Rig Promo Video. Is Bigger Better? You decide  (Read 3732 times)

Paddleboy84

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Headwaters Kayak Shop
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
The debate has been raging lately in the kayak business about "Is bigger better?" Many companies are focusing a lot of money and effort building the new ear of bigger feature rich stand up stable fishing kayaks. The Pro Angler, Jackson Cuda and Tuna, Nucanoe Frontier, Oldtown Predator, and the list goes on. Each boat is coming more and more rigged up and with features rigged up for anglers, but all these trick features come with a hefty burden when trying to move your kayak from place to place. The new Jackson Big Rig seems to be the antipathies of this new era of fishing kayaks. Abet 53lbs lighter than its pedal drive counterpart, the Big Rig is still beast at 85lbs. With that being said I'm excited for Jackson to be making a kayak to service this market. It think the stock features are going to be ahead of what most other brands are doing, and having paddled most all of these big boy boats, I can confidently say it paddles better than most. But I'm also really hoping the kayak industry starts focusing on lighter sleeker fishing kayaks for those of us that have been doing this a while and appreciate speed, performance, sea worthy boat. At Headwaters we are working to bring that change about, by stocking ultra light fishing kayaks by Eddyline and Stealth. We will also continue to stock and sell as many brand of stand up stable fishing kayaks as possible. Like Malibu, Jackson, Oldtown, and NuCanoe.

So what are you thoughts on this new "Big Rig"?

http://jacksonkayak.com/jk-kayaks/kayak-fishing/big-rig/big-rig-specs-pricing/

Headwaters Kayak Shop Lodi CA, ran by paddlers for paddlers
Headwater Fishing Team Member

http://headwatersfishing.blogspot.com/

fishkraft

• Come to the "light".
  • Sea Lion
  • Stealth, Ducati and Lotus, light makes right.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
Stealth Kayaks Pro Staff

NoSoupForU

• @paradisepescador on IG
  • Sea Lion
  • "If I'm not fishing, I'm sure thinking about it."
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
85 lbs?????  Are you sure they didn't design the BigRig for BigJim?

RawYak

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
As a small guy, I've never felt the need for a larger boat.  I actually like what eddyline is doing with the lighter boat because I am one of the people who want more speed.  Portability is a huge issue for me as I usually load/unload by myself, and like I said, I'm small.  If I had room for more boats I would like to get one that I could stand up and bass fish from, which the big rig looks perfect for.  Just my two cents. 

I don't know about "stealth" kayaks, so thanks for that. 

Pacifico

• Oye! Que Vida!
  • Sea Lion
  • 12 seconds! That's all I need!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I typed out a response but the site swallowed it...  :smt013

Anyway, it pretty much said...
1) some super yak features are nice
2) I went with the eddyline because of the weight, I'm getting older and my body hurts
3) I'll probably end up having to buy a super yak to dive from
4) The bad part, for me, is that some who buy the super yaks are also going to end up buying trailers...at SWS, TC, and other places with limited parking that really sucks
Rub-cifico

Paddleboy84

• Sea Lion
As a small guy, I've never felt the need for a larger boat.  I actually like what eddyline is doing with the lighter boat because I am one of the people who want more speed.  Portability is a huge issue for me as I usually load/unload by myself, and like I said, I'm small.  If I had room for more boats I would like to get one that I could stand up and bass fish from, which the big rig looks perfect for.  Just my two cents. 

I don't know about "stealth" kayaks, so thanks for that.

A little more info on Stealth. I will have my website updated soon with ft and lbs instead of Meters and KG. http://www.stealthpp.co.za/products/fishing/

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Does the Big Rig have a "terminal velocity" like the other big kayaks? You paddle to get to a decent speed, then you want to kick it in just a bit more, and there is nothing left no matter how much harder you dig. 
http://WildernessSystems.com      http://ATPaddles.com
http://ShastaTackle.com               http://MacksLure.com

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff           Heroes on the Water Coordinator
Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2017 ARW Halibut 3rd Place
2017 Berryessa Salmon Slam MBF winner
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars 1st Place--- Teamed w/ATD
2014 AOTY 3rd Place-Again
2013 AOTY 3rd Place
2012 Berryessa Salmon Slam  1st Place
2012 Sonoma Slam 1st Place---Teamed w/ATD
2012 TRW 2 1st Place----Teamed w/ATD
2012 PIF Big Salmon Winner
2012 Fresh Kats Series Champion
2012-13-14 Team NCKA Kayak Wars 1st Place Team Overall

fishkraft

• Come to the "light".
  • Sea Lion
  • Stealth, Ducati and Lotus, light makes right.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
Wait for it....

Damn, I cant take it anymore... this is what is know in journalism as "burying the lead".

At Headwaters we are working to bring that change about, by stocking ultra light fishing kayaks by Eddyline and Stealth.

Headwaters has landed the first US dealership of STEALTH KAYAKS!

Now maybe I'm a little biased but I think this is the BIG deal.

Congrats to Dan, Headwaters and Stealth you guys are gonna make a great team.

ruben
Stealth Kayaks Pro Staff

• View Profile
With all due respect to Jackson and all the other makers of these "new big boats" as I call them lol, They are not something I would buy. There are already "big boats" that have been on the market for years out there. I don't want to sound ignorant but to me they are just making new versions of boats like the prowler big game that has been around a long time and still 16lbs. lighter. To me the big game was a great "beginner" boat but most will learn and out grow them. Especially if you are going to be doing much fishing on big blue! For a guy like me that weights a buck sixty soaking wet with all my gear  :smt003 Bigger is not better! They can be a slug on the water and that can be a liability more than an asset at times. Just my opinion. No kayak manufacturer has ever asked me for my opinion so you now know what it's worth  :smt044 different strokes for different folks!   
2010 MBK Tournament Winner and new T-13 owner

Paddleboy84

• Sea Lion
Does the Big Rig have a "terminal velocity" like the other big kayaks? You paddle to get to a decent speed, then you want to kick it in just a bit more, and there is nothing left no matter how much harder you dig.

Yes for sure Rob. Pretty much any big plastic sit on top is going to push a bow wake. This is what makes paddling 10-12' boats, and boats over 28" wide so much work. They basically go 2-3 mph before they start surfing their own wake. Also poly (rotomolded) boats just don't offer much glide. It makes you feel like you're constantly pushing your boat through the water as oppose to cutting through the water and gliding. You can make up for that with length, but then your kayak gets heavy. That is what makes Eddyline so appealing to those who use them. For the effort you put in you get almost twice the glide of a comparable 12' or 14' poly boat. I'm not blowing smoke, ask an Eddyline owner and they will tell you. Many kayak anglers don't go fast enough to care, or stability is more important than speed. In my experience the more people paddle the more they are drawn to lighter, longer, and narrower kayaks. They offer less initial stability but they cut so much nicer through the water, and once you get your feel for kayaking, you realize stability it all relative. The boat you find tippy today will feel rock solid after a few trips. Again this is why I preach demoing. See for yourself what features are most important in a kayak as oppose to reading someone else opinion (including mine).

Wait for it....

Damn, I cant take it anymore... this is what is know in journalism as "burying the lead".

At Headwaters we are working to bring that change about, by stocking ultra light fishing kayaks by Eddyline and Stealth.

Headwaters has landed the first US dealership of STEALTH KAYAKS!

Now maybe I'm a little biased but I think this is the BIG deal.

Congrats to Dan, Headwaters and Stealth you guys are gonna make a great team.

ruben

Container should arrive in Lodi sometime in the middle of January. Pretty damn exciting if I do say so myself. We have 30 boats in the container and around 8 of them are spoken for. I will start a new thread on this as soon as I get an arrival date. We will be looking to build a Nor Cal team for 2014.

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
  • View Profile
That is why I love my 16' boats. A lot less effort, and they are very stable as you know Dan.
http://WildernessSystems.com      http://ATPaddles.com
http://ShastaTackle.com               http://MacksLure.com

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff           Heroes on the Water Coordinator
Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2017 ARW Halibut 3rd Place
2017 Berryessa Salmon Slam MBF winner
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars 1st Place--- Teamed w/ATD
2014 AOTY 3rd Place-Again
2013 AOTY 3rd Place
2012 Berryessa Salmon Slam  1st Place
2012 Sonoma Slam 1st Place---Teamed w/ATD
2012 TRW 2 1st Place----Teamed w/ATD
2012 PIF Big Salmon Winner
2012 Fresh Kats Series Champion
2012-13-14 Team NCKA Kayak Wars 1st Place Team Overall

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Kayaking takes it's toll on the body. Back problems are the most common followed by shoulder problems. Eventually almost everyone get's back problems. There are a few ways to get a kayak on a roof using reasonable ergonomics but most of the time I see people bend over and bench press press them. Over time this is not good thing. Yeah you can get a trailer, but then you might as well get a boat.

So in my opinion, for the older and less burly, weight is an important factor in yak selection. I was crabbing today at a surf launch location with my Eddyline and it just makes everything easier and you feel less beat up at the end of the day. Really nimble in the surf too. Bigger heavier boats are less nimble in the surf and on rivers.
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

rockfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Sure, you could go BigRig...but why not buy a bass boat... 2c

Several years ago I looked into having a profisha shipped here, and now that I'm broke they arrive!!!  THANKS DAN, those look SO AWESOME!
Less Mental than before, Still savage AF tho <3

IG: she_savagly_gardens

Ariel Sea

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Dan

Can't wait to demo that Jackson and the whole Stealth line up. Was on their website this morning and drooling over their kayaks. Which models are you getting?

Next time I come to Lodi I will bring the cargo bike. We should see how many kayaks we can stack on each bike and race around the block for fun.

Ariel
2019 Hobie Outback Camo
2019 Hobie Adventure Island
2019 Stealth Kayaks 555
2019 Stealth Powerfisha 16
2020 Solo Skiff

Paddleboy84

• Sea Lion
Dan

Can't wait to demo that Jackson and the whole Stealth line up. Was on their website this morning and drooling over their kayaks. Which models are you getting?

Next time I come to Lodi I will bring the cargo bike. We should see how many kayaks we can stack on each bike and race around the block for fun.

Ariel

We have all the Evo series including the tandem, the whole Pro Fisha Range with the majority being the 525 and then the Splash range. The Splash is under $2k and has a nice rod pod but is more geared toward recreational paddlers (ie wider more stable).