Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:55:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:31:56 PM]

[Today at 04:31:01 PM]

by &
[Today at 04:22:40 PM]

[Today at 01:09:18 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 08:56:12 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: New Jackson Kilroy Walkthrough  (Read 7769 times)

stringaLing

• Sand Dab
  • Don't tell my wife...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
You're gonna need to pack a bilge pump and paddle float if you ever want to take that thing out to the Salt. 

Paddleboy84

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Headwaters Kayak Shop
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
No not a salt boat even on a good day. This is a lake river delta flat water kayak. Easy to stand in and easy to paddle. I have used it a bunch thisnpast week and really enjoy it. Faster than a Cuda 12 but much more comfortable. If someone is looking for a comfortable stable kayak for freshwater use I would say you can't get a much better kayak.

Scale 1-5
Stability: 5 high or low
stand up stability: 4
Comfort: 5+
Speed: 3
Stock rigging: 3
Ease of rigging: 4.5

I'm doing a video review of the boat now and will post it after a few more trips.

I was a sceptic at first but the boat really impressed me.
Headwaters Kayak Shop Lodi CA, ran by paddlers for paddlers
Headwater Fishing Team Member

http://headwatersfishing.blogspot.com/

WipEouT

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Appreciate everyone's perspective.  I really think its a neat kayak - was curios about the salt; but agree with everyone's assessment. 

Dan, looking forward to the video.
Kenny

Paddleboy84

• Sea Lion

WipEouT

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Very nice Dan - wish the timing was right - I'd like to give this rig a go.
Kenny

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
The Kilroy was designed with an eye toward fishability and features. In other words, the designers at Jackson wanted anglers to feel like they were sitting in the Cadillac of fishing ‘yaks. It’s 12 feet, 4 inches long, 31 inches wide and weighs a scant 69 pounds with seat (64 without). It’ll hold 375 pounds of you and your gear. It’s also built sturdy enough for anyone to stand and fish.

Jackson always had great marketing skills...     They say imitation is the best form of flattery.   I see a lot of the same features I  designed into into my Raptor employed in this model.   
   Forgive my skepticism here, but you say    On a scale of 1-5   you give it a 5 for stability.      That's pretty high.    Can you flip that kayak while seated if you tried?      Because so far the Raptor Sit In is the only kayak I know of that nobody has been able to flip.   
    I'd love to do a comparison between the two.     Maybe even roll it to perform a self rescue to see how it handles that important task... or can it?   Are there any video's of a self rescue ?

Nothing new here.  This very much resembles  the Ascend kayak sold at Bass Pro, only it's priced about 650 bucks more.

Sometimes the fish isn't the only prize.
2nd place  Simply Fishing 2013
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

You must pass through the valley of stupidity to ascend the mountain of knowledge.

Paddleboy84

• Sea Lion
The Kilroy was designed with an eye toward fishability and features. In other words, the designers at Jackson wanted anglers to feel like they were sitting in the Cadillac of fishing ‘yaks. It’s 12 feet, 4 inches long, 31 inches wide and weighs a scant 69 pounds with seat (64 without). It’ll hold 375 pounds of you and your gear. It’s also built sturdy enough for anyone to stand and fish.

Jackson always had great marketing skills...     They say imitation is the best form of flattery.   I see a lot of the same features I  designed into into my Raptor employed in this model.   
   Forgive my skepticism here, but you say    On a scale of 1-5   you give it a 5 for stability.      That's pretty high.    Can you flip that kayak while seated if you tried?      Because so far the Raptor Sit In is the only kayak I know of that nobody has been able to flip.   
    I'd love to do a comparison between the two.     Maybe even roll it to perform a self rescue to see how it handles that important task... or can it?   Are there any video's of a self rescue ?

Nothing new here.  This very much resembles  the Ascend kayak sold at Bass Pro, only it's priced about 650 bucks more.

Jim, Thanks for your ignorant rant of frustration. If the Kilroy is rated a 5 for stability, the Raptor would be a 7 out of 5. I have had 350lb guys standing up fishing out of the boat within five minutes. Every single person has been able to use the high seat strait away. Is it as stable as the raptor? Who cares! It's almost impossible to flip and it paddles great.  Also its important to note that they are not trying to sell it as a salt water sit inside. It's the best platform I sell for stand up fishing in flat water lakes river, delta, and class 1 current. I when I get some more time I'm happy to demonstrate a self rescue in it.

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
    "  Ignorant Rant of Frustration? "      :smt009

Really ?     Why so defensive  Dan ?    Air conditioning go out?        I take it that by your somewhat hostile response you're not so keen on a comparison.   

Sometimes the fish isn't the only prize.
2nd place  Simply Fishing 2013
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

You must pass through the valley of stupidity to ascend the mountain of knowledge.

Paddleboy84

• Sea Lion
    "  Ignorant Rant of Frustration? "      :smt009

Really ?     Why so defensive  Dan ?    Air conditioning go out?        I take it that by your somewhat hostile response you're not so keen on a comparison.   

Compare away Jim. My boats are available for all NCKA Members to demo for free, even you.  :smt008

Rockroach

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Great writeup Dan.
I look forward to paddling it soon.
My old man just retired and showed a little interest in paddling/fishing our local lakes. He has no desire to paddle the big blue so this kayak might work for him. 
Thanks
~MarcosM~

Paddleboy84

• Sea Lion
I was screwing around at a demo day a few weeks ago and we shot this quick iphone video. As you can see you basically have to learn all your body weight over the side of the boat to get it to flip. Also this was all filmed in the high position. Amazing little kayak. Check it out.

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
When are you going to show us the stability part?
http://WildernessSystems.com      http://ATPaddles.com
http://ShastaTackle.com               http://MacksLure.com

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff           Heroes on the Water Coordinator
Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2017 ARW Halibut 3rd Place
2017 Berryessa Salmon Slam MBF winner
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars 1st Place--- Teamed w/ATD
2014 AOTY 3rd Place-Again
2013 AOTY 3rd Place
2012 Berryessa Salmon Slam  1st Place
2012 Sonoma Slam 1st Place---Teamed w/ATD
2012 TRW 2 1st Place----Teamed w/ATD
2012 PIF Big Salmon Winner
2012 Fresh Kats Series Champion
2012-13-14 Team NCKA Kayak Wars 1st Place Team Overall

Bonafide

• Fish On!
  • Salmon
  • Fish On!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
Good video Dan, pretty sweet kayak as well
Lowland Jackson Kilroy- [Standup Bar] [Yakattack Blakpak] [Lowrance Elite-4] [Ram Transducer Arm]
Ascend FS12T Angular Kayak- [Anchor Trolley Kit] [Slide Tracks]

shakedown

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2013
My son just won one of these at the Fly Fishing Film Festival ,donated by the Redding Headwaters store, and loves it.  Super stable for an 11y/o fly fisher.  He has no problem moving it through water even with strong head winds.  Granted he isn't full grown so center of gravity is in his favor. 

anything