Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:51:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Shark Shield Questions ???  (Read 3230 times)

JamesM

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2016
Thanks for sharing your stories guys. Will get one.
2020 Hobie Outback (sold)
2018 Hobie Oasis (sold)
2017 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie AI
2016 Hobie Outfitter (sold)
2014 Hobie AI (sold)

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Sorry, for the naïve question, but have you wondered if having an activated shield, possibly scares away the fish you're trying to catch ?
I don't think that fish have the sensors that the shark shield targets...
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Sorry, for the naïve question, but have you wondered if having an activated shield, possibly scares away the fish you're trying to catch ?

the field generated by the lead creates basically a sphere of influence about 12-14ft in diameter. I do notice fish are zapped by the field at the surface, but deeper than 12 feet they don't notice it as it is too weak at that distance to impact them.
With big lings or halibut, the electrical zap stuns them a bit and actually makes them easier to get on the clip at boatside.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011

Sharks and rays have special sensing organ for electric fields:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampullae_of_Lorenzini

Bony fish don't have such organs, so they will not be affected---they'd have to get close enough to actually get shocked by the shark shield, but that range is very small, like a few inches.

Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

I Zod Out

• I think(?) I got a bite!
  • Salmon
  • A Shark is already in the boat
  • View Profile I Zod Out
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
...the field generated by the lead creates basically a sphere of influence about 12-14ft in diameter. I do notice fish are zapped by the field at the surface, but deeper than 12 feet they don't notice it as it is too weak at that distance to impact them.
With big lings or halibut, the electrical zap stuns them a bit and actually makes them easier to get on the clip at boatside.

Is this empirical data?

references?

I Zod Out
Our world was NOT deeded to us by our forefathers... it was loaned to us by our children.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
...the field generated by the lead creates basically a sphere of influence about 12-14ft in diameter. I do notice fish are zapped by the field at the surface, but deeper than 12 feet they don't notice it as it is too weak at that distance to impact them.

Is this empirical data?

references?

I Zod Out

This is from the FAQ at the shark shield website (https://sharkshield.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/14000051605-can-you-use-a-ocean-guardian-shark-shield-for-fishing-) and matches with my experience

--------------

Will Ocean Guardian (Shark Shield) scare away the fish I’m trying to catch?

By all accounts Shark Shield has no noticeable effect on the target fish species. Ocean Guardian has been developed to specifically take advantage of the highly sensitive electrical receptors called the "Ampullae of Lorenzini" present in a Sharks snout. As fish are without these receptors Ocean Guardian has negligible effect on them. Divers and Spear fishers also observe that fish are unaffected by their Ocean Guardians.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

nudling

• Sea Lion
  • I tend to drift when I fish
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009

I use to drift in an AI for many hours with the SS on and targeting wsb. It didn't seem to affect the bite -- the squid was fairly close to the boat but away from the SS max range.
hobie24 hobie08 rip