Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:41:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 09:51:22 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[Today at 07:24:38 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: not seeing fish on lowrance elite 4 chirp  (Read 9378 times)

jonesz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Ok, so I bought one of the new lowrance elite 4 chirp depth finders and I have yet to see any fish on it. I just got back from the klamath and never saw one salmon on it!  :smt013 I was listening to other guys in other boats saying they were seeing them. I've used it in the ocean and gone over obvious schools of blacks that ALWAYS show on my humminbirds. I've used it in manual mode and never seen an "arch" and never see anything in fish id mode. It shows bait great, the bottom etc. but no fish. Their simulator shows them. Is there a setting I may not have set up right? Pilot error? Their manual is about the poorest written manual I've ever seen. I love the bomb proof connections on it. Humminbird could learn a thing or two there... I've gone through several HB units in the past with several having some sort of connection issues. That's why I went with Lorance, but it's not much good if I can't see fish on it.... :smt009 Anyone with a similar experience, or anyone got a suggest for a remedy?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jinggo

• Sand Dab
  • " all the way Airborne"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Just got my lorance 4 chirp too and have same problem. I was thinking  its operator's error or settings. Demo shows everything. I adjusted some settings. I'll find out this weekend if problem fixed. Let me know  what s your findings too.
No ocean too deep, no tide too high, no weather too bad...Let’s go paddle around and have some fun! Fish on!

Ocean Kayak/ Big Game l
Hobie ProAngler 12

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
The word on the stream is that you are death on a kayak. Fish fear you and scatter at your very presence.
<=>

• Fishing is the perpetual series occasion of hope.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
The word on the stream is that you are death on a kayak. Fish fear you and scatter at your very presence.
:smt044 :smt044
Mine seems to have crap out too. I dont see structures all I see is changing dept on the top..
Live today for tomorrow's sake.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.

Buzzcut1

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2014
try putting the transponder in the water :smt044

then try the button that returns you to factory settings.  I was screwing around with my settings and fudged things up. reverting to factory settings  fixed everything.
never met a Dry Fly I didn't like

masterandahound

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
Never use the Fish ID mode. Its better than most on that model, but I'd rather interpret the info on the screen myself rather than having an algorithm do it.

Make sure you're not on the downscan only page. Fish will look like tiny dots, not arches in that setting.

Also, try changing the contrast(sensitivity) and the CHIRP setting. Higher contrast/CHIRP setting will reveal stronger arches, but will also reveal more clutter.

If you have a second, task a screenshot of your settings. That'll help diagnose the problem.
Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game

Mienboy

• there's two sides to every story
  • Sea Lion
  • America, if you don't love it leave it
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Sounds like fishinforthecure is needed again.next time just head the title "questions for fishinforthecure "might get a quicker response

But yes if your in down scan you will not see arches like you wound in regular sonar mode.but if your not seeing structure either then something went wrong with the transducer itself or your settings is all jacked up.

Only time when I use down imaging is when I'm looking for stucture
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 09:26:43 AM by Mienboy »
My biggest worry is that my wife(when I'm dead)will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

masterandahound

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
Sounds like fishinforthecure is needed again.next time just head the title "questions for fishinforthecure "might get a quicker response

But yes if your in down scan you will not see arches like you wound in regular sonar mode.but if your not seeing structure either then something went wrong with the transducer itself or your settings is all jacked up.

Only time when I use down imaging is when I'm looking for stucture
If you haven't already, try using it in sonar mode with the downtown overlay enabled. Mess around with the transparency of the downscan layer to suit your preference. You end up with great sonar arches as well as detailed structure info as well. Love that feature.
Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game

jonesz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Ok, I am using it in the sonar only mode. Hardly ever use down scan mode. Like I said. It shows balls of bait great, bottom fine, different color for different densities, just no fish arcs. I shoot through the hull, but that's never been a problem with every other finder I've used. Only difference is this is a lowrance and it doesn't show fish. In the fish id mode it shows a ton of debris as "fish" but not when I am actually over fish. Out in the ocean it's easy to find a wad of blacks over some shallow structure usually. Well they don't show on this unit. Very frustrating!! I'm trying to find out if others have the same problem, do I need to return it cause this one isn't working, or do they all fail to show fish marks, in which case I'll be returning it. I have used depth finders since Humminbird came out with the first LCR waaaay back and even that one showed the fish....

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
In the fish id mode it shows a ton of debris as "fish" but not when I am actually over fish.
At fishing shows during Lowrance unit demos, the reps always said not to use the Fish ID mode, perhaps for the very reason you stated.

Uminchu Naoaki

• Fisherman from Okinawa
  • Sea Lion
  • Uminchu
  • View Profile my YouTube
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
Did you guys update your software?
I'm sure Bill/Mike can chime in, but heard something to do with it...
Mine is working okay, but you gotta play w/ sensitivity depends on fishing often...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 05:14:34 PM by Uminchu Naoaki »

Mienboy

• there's two sides to every story
  • Sea Lion
  • America, if you don't love it leave it
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Fish I'd bounces back everything that's passing under you as a fish symbol.if your seeing every thing  else but no fish I'd give lowrance a call.i had an old elite 5 and most of the time it showed arches or small - - - lines like these when I was out rock fishing
My biggest worry is that my wife(when I'm dead)will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

MikeinFresno

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2010
I posted the same a couple of months ago about my Elite 7 chirp...I was told that these show great arches and I just don't have it adjusted right. I have not had time to mess with it since that time. Mine too shows great bait balls and the bottom.

Salty.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
What i found is it really matters what setting you have it selected to such as shallow, deep, freshwater, trolling, etc. I have struggled with mine but that selection seems to be what counts. Elite5 Chirp

Bill is probably still on the Playa.

WingShooter

• Sea Lion
  • I fish not to escape life but to live it.
  • View Profile Branson Baits
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
Hope I can help.

1. Updated the software! Download from the Lowrance site and read the book!
2. "Restore defaults" and then make sure all options are set for auto except sensitivity.
3. Make sure you've chosen the right transducer during setup. I'm so surprised how many people don't even choose the transducer that's in their boat!
4. MAKE SURE your ducer is installed correctly. Chirp models are sensitive to install angle. If your transducer angle/ install is not correct, you will have a hard time marking fish. This is general for all transducers. I personally have my transducer pointing slightly forward, maybe 3 - 5 degrees at most.
5. Play with it on demo mode, actually go through all the settings one by one in demo mode. You've paid good money for it, fully learn how to use it.

I'm using a chirp 7 on high and really like it. The higher the chirp setting, the arches seem to become more of a blobish arch. I have a much easier time determining the size of the fish and how many fish in the school, especially when I have the down scan window open to compare. If the water is clean I'll run just down scan, mostly because I know what I'm looking at and looking for.

I feel learning how to use the sensitivity option is very import. I've noticed with some newer users will try to remove all and any debris from the screen. No, don't do that. It's important to leave some, especially so you can see the thermocline. Also, if you're fishing dirty water, cleaning up the screen too much, you'll loose fish targets. This is a setting I play with on every trip.

If you've done all of these and you're still not marking fish, PM me or Bill.

Mike

« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 07:39:16 PM by WingShooter »
www.bransonbaits.com 

US Hobie Fishing Team Member
Lowrance Pro-Staff
EGO Pro-Staff
Lew's Pro-Staff
Diawa Pro-Staff

anything