Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:35:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: General Crabbing Tips  (Read 47596 times)

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
yep...drive to HMB and got for 'em there. WAY better crabbin up north. I wouldn't bother setting gear in SC
-Eric Berg

Howard

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2010
Thanks Eric, will do.
I AM A COMPLETE KOOK

9erfan

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2010
Outdoor proshop in Rohnert Park just got all there crabbing gear in. Traps as low as $20  and a kit that has rope, buoy with flag for $15. I was going to pull the trigger but already had $50 worth or stuff in my hand.
1st place 2011 Red Barn Classic
2019 Hobie Outback

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I only know of 1 yakker who can get dungies in SC area on a consistent basis. So, they're out there if ya spend the time looking & trying. But it ain't easy. 
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Howard,

I used my crab ring a fair amount last year in the Capitola/Pleasure Point area and never got one dungie...

Got some nice fat rock crabs though in the kelp potholes, and it was pretty fun to drop the ring, fish for a while and then come back and pull it up and see what I got!

Good luck!

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
yep...drive to HMB and got for 'em there. WAY better crabbin up north. I wouldn't bother setting gear in SC
by "north" do you mean Bodega Bay?  Where?  Is it that much "WAY better"?  just asking cause I don't know any better. 
Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
No, just HMB. I suppose the the more north the better (less fishing pressure) others can chime in on bodega and places north. In SC you will get NO DUNGIES and maybe a few rock crab. In HMB you will be able to limit on dungies. May take you a few set's but you'll get 'em
-Eric Berg

KV

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Up here in Bodega Bay it is looking good for the dungies.  I dropped 2 rings about a week ago and was just doing circuits between them.  Being out there for maybe 2hrs @ the most i threw back @ least 8 or 9 FAT dungies, one had to be about 9" across.  I am going out @ midnight on the opener fully expecting to limit quickly.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Much harder to beat a salmon head

I hear the furbags love salmon and tend to tear up crab traps. Any truth to this?

mako1

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I once had a juicy salmon head in a pot, in 15' of water. It was attracting lots of crabs. Damn harbor seal eventually stuck it's head in the one-way gait and stole the whole head. I saw the birds afterwards and it didn't immediately register. It must have been the Houdini of seals.
Lesson learned? Yeah, don't turn your back on pots with salmon in them. Crabs love them, but so do the seals!
If you don't know where you're headed, any road could get you there.

9erfan

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2010
I was planing on going crabbing at Doran beach for the opener. It will be my first time crabbing period. I plan on launching from the beach near the jetty. I know I will figure out what not to do, but tips from people who have been there will be greatly appreciated.
1st place 2011 Red Barn Classic
2019 Hobie Outback

bwodun

only tip i can give for doran would be get away from the jetty, or you will have alot of rock crab, but other than that just watch out for boat traffic and drop just about anywhere, ill be there monday, gotta work all weekend, good luck, cameron

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
In addition to the crab setup, I bought a prawn trap at OPS.  I hear I can just stack the prawn trap on top of the promar (with zipties?) and it'll work fine.  Can anyone provide some advice on this?

Hamachijohn
Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

nudling

• Sea Lion
  • I tend to drift when I fish
  • View Profile
Sounds like it should work John - as long as you can pull it up w/out interference?  How deep do you plan on dropping it?  I recall that they tend to be >150ft.

As for tips for first time - make sure that your trap doesn't walk and keep track of where you placed them if you don't mark it w/GPS.  No, I didn't lose my promars on my first trip.  :smt005
hobie24 hobie08 rip

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
YIKES !! 150ft to 200ft depth to catch shrimp??  I think I'll return the shrimp trap, as I'm only expecting to be in 50-75 feet of water while crabbing.... unless someone else also plans on doing some shrimping.

Sounds like it should work John - as long as you can pull it up w/out interference?  How deep do you plan on dropping it?  I recall that they tend to be >150ft.
Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

anything