Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:54:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: General Crabbing Tips  (Read 47599 times)

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
So my question is...the article was written in 07, are you guys still using the same crab traps that are posted in the pics??? I have a t13...what kind of crab traps work best and what do you guys perfer???
I still use the same modifed Promar TR102 traps I've been using for years.  The only difference is that Promar now sells the TR102W which already come legal with the required escape rings.  I hear that the Outdoor Pro Shop is Oakland and Santa Rosa sells them for around $20 each which is an excellent price.
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

Jeffo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I'm definatily gonna be doing some crabbing this season.  But I've got a couple questions first.  Ive got the Promar 102W's and they come with a Bait Holder net thing in them.  Do most of you use a rigid bait box instead of the net that comes with it?  And what kind of rope do you use?  Is the Yellow nylon stuff good enough? 
Oversize Sturgeon Club
Weekday Warrior

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
I'm definatily gonna be doing some crabbing this season.  But I've got a couple questions first.  Ive got the Promar 102W's and they come with a Bait Holder net thing in them.  Do most of you use a rigid bait box instead of the net that comes with it?  And what kind of rope do you use?  Is the Yellow nylon stuff good enough? 

bags work fine. I try and have all my bait in bags or boxes so the re bait is a simple swap out. as for line. I used the yellow stuff but it was a pain. chuck asked me to pull a couple of his pots and he used the smaller para cord type line and it was so much nicer. I swapped all mine over this summer to his set up. I also have 50 foot on each trap and have some 25 foot sections that i can add if I am in deeper water. all my sets in HMB were in 40 - 60 feet. so I went that route this year.
-Eric Berg

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I use paracord for my anchor, why not try it for crab pots??  Yeah, now that you mention it, I didn't like having the 1/4 yellow all over the place when hauling up pots.  Was kinda discouraging really, got sea sick first couple times out messing with the lines.  Sounds like I should try some 550 paracod?  I remember seeing lots of bulk buy of it on Ebay if anyone wants to group buy or something. 
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Oh, and I've been hording takeout containters and other things like peanut containers to fill with bait and drill some holes all over them and join them to the trap with bailing wire.  I just toss them in the trash when im done ;)
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

novofish

• Wear your PFD - every time OTW
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Dang, I haven't crabbed since I was a kid in the 60's at Lawsons landing pier!
Got to try it this year from the yak.
I remember it kinda bugged me to pick them up :smt001
Nice idea with the throw away bait holders Al!
I got 1 ring bought at the Berkeley pier to bring up pier caught fish - you guys think it'll do to get some?

novofish
AOTY 2011 - 9th
AOTY 2012 - 16th
AOTY 2013 - 6th
FAOTY 2014 - 4th
AOTY 2015 - 5th
AOTY 2016 - 56th
AOTY 2017 - 37th

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Dang, I haven't crabbed since I was a kid in the 60's at Lawsons landing pier!
Got to try it this year from the yak.
I remember it kinda bugged me to pick them up :smt001
Nice idea with the throw away bait holders Al!
I got 1 ring bought at the Berkeley pier to bring up pier caught fish - you guys think it'll do to get some?

novofish

rings work just fine
-Eric Berg

Jeffo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I dont have any fish carcasses and I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to get out to HMB and get some Mackeral for Crab bait.  So what do you guys suggest I buy to use for bait?
Oversize Sturgeon Club
Weekday Warrior

hiltxan

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I've tried different types of bait, squid, fish carcass etc. and I find that chicken drumsticks or quarter size chicken legs are the best. They're cheap and best of all, it takes a while for crabs to eat them because it's tough to rip apart.

Whenever I use squid and pull up the cages, I see the crabs eating viciously away my squid. Squid is just easy to rip apart and eat while its in the cages whereas chicken provides the same attraction but harder to get to for the crabs.

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
i's say just about any damn thing you got in the freezer meat wise will do just fine. if I use non seafood I toss some squid in there. its like spinkles on ice cream
-Eric Berg

Captwiggy

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Has anyone seen mink in the bait shops? I used on an Oregon trip in Sept. and caught a S!@# load of crab including an 8-1/2" Dungeness. I would like to try it down here if it is available and legal.

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
I thought Mink was to keep the furbags away
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

jonesz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
For my bait wraps I just use the square 1/2" galvi wire mesh from the hardware store. I cut a suitable size and then wrap the bait like a burrito, and then just ziptie it to the trap. Cheap quick and easy.

mako1

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
When using rings in shallow water, 10 to 20 feet, I like the heavy mesh bags for my bait. They're easy to dump more bait into, especially big pieces like fish heads. For the hard plastic containers I like to use squid or sardines. They both fit well into these containers. I like to lay a string of 3 or more rings, and after the last one is dropped it is time to check the first one. Repeat.
It is hard to beat a fish carcass. Much harder to beat a salmon head. If I've got chicken I'll stay home and cook it.
If you don't know where you're headed, any road could get you there.

Howard

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2010
I am new to fishing and have lobster hoops that I want to utilize to go after dungeness crab when it opens.  The geography of their expected early-season habitat interests me. 

I've heard a unverified rumor that in Santa Cruz County, you need to be several miles offshore. 

Any input or offer of hookups welcome.
I AM A COMPLETE KOOK

anything