Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:24:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Powerboater gets sued after plowing over smaller fishing boat  (Read 2999 times)

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Watching the video makes me cringe. A few years my buddy almost got hit by a boat at HMB while salmon fishing outside the harbor.  The area was packed with kayakers and boaters.  The boat operator was in the back setting gear with a child and had the boat on auto pilot.  I yelled at my buddy on the radio to watch for out for the idiot and get out the way which he luckily did. 
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

LilRiverMan

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
He was sitting down. Sitting long enough to cover enough water that it was beyond his range of vision ? Sitting and going so fast it raises the bow of your boat, blocking your forward vision ? The video background looks like it's close to a harbor. High speed in a high traffic area?
Reminds me of that Grizzly Bear video that's going round. That Bear covered a lot of ground in a heartbeat before the hunter had to shoot it. That boat was going FAST.
Winner, 2012 Fisherman's Warehouse, Tiki Lagoon - Stripers.

Proud paddler - Pay it Forward Paddle 2010 / 2011 / 2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018

In the game of biggest fish, if you can't enjoy routinely gettin' your ass handed to you, by great fishermen, then you don't belong in the NCKA.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
He was sitting down. Sitting long enough to cover enough water that it was beyond his range of vision ? Sitting and going so fast it raises the bow of your boat, blocking your forward vision ? The video background looks like it's close to a harbor. High speed in a high traffic area?
Reminds me of that Grizzly Bear video that's going round. That Bear covered a lot of ground in a heartbeat before the hunter had to shoot it. That boat was going FAST.

It’s buoy 10 at the height of chinook season, near Astoria on the Columbia River.  Probably the most crowded fishery in the PNW.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
He was sitting down. Sitting long enough to cover enough water that it was beyond his range of vision...

The article says the guy is 75 and uses a power scooter to get around on land. He never should have been driving that boat.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

SOMA

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
He was sitting down. Sitting long enough to cover enough water that it was beyond his range of vision...

The article says the guy is 75 and uses a power scooter to get around on land. He never should have been driving that boat.

Wow!  Not defending the power boat operator, however, why are seats installed in boats if not for sitting on?  Just because he uses a power scooter on land is not a reason to ban him from sitting on a boat seat.  Clearly the boat operator was operating well beyond his ability to operate a boat safely.  (I have coffee most mornings with an individual in a power joystick controlled wheelchair, hence my semi-defense of the boat operator and a 75 year old who build and operates outboards that will do over 100 mph and partakes in the Parker 300.)     

piski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
I'd drop the lawsuit if he let me run him and his scooter over with my truck. 

Anybody else think the son in law aint too fond of the old geezer.....seems like he threw his ass under the bus real quick with the phone distraction comment.

Yes on both counts.

Quote from: NowhereMan on Today at 02:28:40 PM

Wow!  Not defending the power boat operator, however, why are seats installed in boats if not for sitting on?  Just because he uses a power scooter on land is not a reason to ban him from sitting on a boat seat.  Clearly the boat operator was operating well beyond his ability to operate a boat safely.  (I have coffee most mornings with an individual in a power joystick controlled wheelchair, hence my semi-defense of the boat operator and a 75 year old who build and operates outboards that will do over 100 mph and partakes in the Parker 300.)   

Have to agree with SOMA here; the guy's age and mobility issues aren't the problem. It's his f***ed up attitude and disregard for everyone else. 
Catch & Repeat

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I'd drop the lawsuit if he let me run him and his scooter over with my truck. 

Anybody else think the son in law aint too fond of the old geezer.....seems like he threw his ass under the bus real quick with the phone distraction comment.

Yes on both counts.

Quote from: NowhereMan on Today at 02:28:40 PM

Have to agree with SOMA here; the guy's age and mobility issues aren't the problem. It's his f***ed up attitude and disregard for everyone else.

OK, maybe should have said he should never have been driving that boat at that speed, 'cause from the video it sure looks like you'd have to be standing to see over the bow.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004

Different craft, if the operator has an obstructed view or the line of sight while on plane is angled well above the horizon while in a seated position then he should be standing to ensure safe operation. I rarely felt comfortable sitting in my 23' walk around, the bow rode high on plane and from the helm seat you couldn't see anything but the sky. You can sit in a bass boat (and likely your buddy's also) and do 70-100mph safely but thats whole different class of boat. Not saying anyone should be banned but if you can't operate safely it might be time to hand the wheel over.  I think this guy proved that he can't. 
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

Eric B

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
The stuff of nightmares. 

I do feel that we kayakers can paddle out of the way very quickly, IF we see it coming.  It happened so quickly.