Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:46:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:39:16 PM]

[Today at 05:17:28 PM]

[Today at 05:09:26 PM]

[Today at 04:31:01 PM]

by &
[Today at 04:22:40 PM]

[Today at 01:09:18 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: ghostfleet 10/19 & bayfarm 10/20  (Read 1886 times)

JTF..

• EastBaySlayer
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
A friend of Elric & I purchased Elrics spare kayak saturday morning so I thought I would break him in proper by taking him to martinez for a  paddle over to the fleet.  His name is Pat but he is known to many on numerous forums as PhisinPat.  A very tough newbie he was in his kayak about 10 minutes after arriving and paddleing towards the fleet.
We timed our arrival to his the last part of the incoming over to the fleet around 1100 am and we planned on coming back after the turn of the tide.  I misjudged the length of the paddle but Pat didn't seem to mind much as he was getting used to his new cruiser. We arrived at the fleet and started attempting to anchor up.  Wouldn't you know the tide started ripping only after we got there.  Pat had a little trouble at first but after a few minor adjustments he was able to anchor up.  The final tally for the day was 3 kingfish.  We waited until 5 and paddled back arriving in darkness back at the marina.  Pretty cool paddling with headlamps on.  About 10 minutes after we landed a hugh oil tanker bullied past.  We were sure glad we wern't out there when that thing passed by.Here is a shot of Pat watching the tanker go by :smt005.
A good day even though we spent most of it working out the bugs in the anchor setups.  So the next day I decided to head out to bayfarm in the afternoon.  I fished the clam bed in glassy conditions for a couple hours and saw 3 jumpers and then 1 huge sturgeon swim within 10 feet of my kayak, the beast nearly gave me a heartattack as I watched him come to the surface roll and then submerge again, pretty cool.  Guess you probabley know where I'll be fishing this thanksgiving weekend.  There was some eel grass in the water but after 30 to 40 minutes of tidal movement it became fishable.  There is alot of bait out there right now also.  The pelicans were diving the whole time I was there.  Not many people on the shore line. :smt002   As for my anchor setup, I'll post a pic tomorrow in the rigged kayaks section.  Worked like a charm, couple of 5/16 dia. 1" eye bolts  in line at the back of the yak with a quick release and my kayak hardly moved at all in the current.
2008 Elk Fiesta Survivor
2007 1st Place Elk Fiesta
2006 3rd Place Paddlefest Shark Derby
2006 Elk Fiesta Survivor
2005 Elk Fiesta 14th place
Mooch is OG

Hat Trick

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
thanks for the report, where did you launch to fish the mbf?
2006 AOTY STRIPERKING

JTF..

• EastBaySlayer
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
Hey Chris, we launched from the martinez marina.  Its free to launch if you dont have a trailer.  There is also a bait and tackle shop right there by the launch.  I'm pretty sure its the closest launch for the fleet.  There is one other option to launch nearby at the benicia side of the bridge but there are alot of breakins there.  Seen it happen before.  Oh yeah, mothball, thats what they call it :smt003  I was pretty tired when I made that post last night... I'm thinking about the same launch in the morning for a shot at ozol.  Depends on the tides.
2008 Elk Fiesta Survivor
2006 Elk Fiesta Survivor
Mooch is OG

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
Hey JTF... you're the only guy I know who's paddle to and fished the Mothball Fleet for sturgeon.  Right On!
A little persistence and it could pay off big especially around there.
How long did it take you to pedal/paddle from the Martinez marina?
I definitely want to try it.
Winner - 2023 ARW Halibut Derby "King of the Wall"
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

JTF..

• EastBaySlayer
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
Chuck, I believe it only took 30 to 40 minutes, I was with a guy who had never paddled before in a 9 foot yak and it seemed like about 45 minutes, I believe with the tide its doable in 30 minutes easy.  I'm gonna time my trek to ozol pier in the morning.  I'll post a report on that later tomorrow.  Ozol is the bomb when the sturgies are there and I know that spot well.  Ozol is the brick yard pier just north of martinez marina.
2008 Elk Fiesta Survivor
2006 Elk Fiesta Survivor
Mooch is OG

KZ

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Kunz's Reel Rods
Good work JTF... looks like you planned the tides correctly.  Wish there was somewhere closer to the fleet to launch.

I wonder how fishable the mothball fleet would be on a really big tide?  Ever been up there during a big winter tide?  I'd have to assume it would get pretty dicey.

Your report is getting me fired up for sturgeon season.  Hope to try some new spots this year too.  Look forward to your reports.

Erik
2006 Elk Tourney Champion
2006 Angler of the Year 3rd Place

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

phishinpat

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2005
Man, nice pics John. Caught me dozing off twice.
Gonna have to try to rerig my anchor system over the weekend, so I don't do 180 degree swings back and forth

Hat Trick

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
hey eric, we could ride the tide in and then out. we would be able to fish the  shallow water on the other side of the fleet. it would probably be too swift to fish the deep water.
2006 AOTY STRIPERKING