Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 10:06:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by JD
[Today at 09:39:00 PM]

[Today at 09:35:54 PM]

[Today at 09:13:54 PM]

[Today at 09:08:56 PM]

[Today at 08:43:02 PM]

[Today at 07:24:10 PM]

[Today at 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[Today at 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:57:35 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: any Alaska fishing trip pointers?  (Read 2139 times)

e2g

• Sea Lion
  • 53 lb seabass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
thinking about a bucket list kind of fishing trip to Alaska in May or June. Never been there. Anyone know of a good guide, location, time etc?

thanks
Eugene
Winner 2011 MBK Derby
Winner 2009 Fishermans Warehouse Santa Cruz Tournament
Winner 2008 MBK Derby

DRT Yakbah

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
Check out the charters at elfin cove, Alaska. It's outside of Juneau so an easy flight. Great salmon and halibut fishery

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
My father and I fished out of Sitka in June 2002. Had a great time. The charter/lodge took care of everything. I think it was Kingfisher Lodge. There's plenty of charters to choose from up there.

The wife and I will be heading to Alaska in late May. Plan to drive up there this time.

Have a good trip,
Al

ScottThornley

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Here's my first pointer:

May/June is EARLY in AK.

Second, what are your goals? Kayak fishing? DIY? Pure charter experience?

FWIW, I've fished out of Sitka, Seward, Whittier and Kodiak.

Kodiak beats the other 3 all hollow. But be prepared to not get in on schedule, nor leave on schedule; the Kodiak Rain Festival runs from January 1st through December 31st.

Scott

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I know you said Alaska, but you might also want to consider Rivers Inlet, BC. I’ve never been there, but it’s on MY bucket list...

Have fun wherever you end up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hooper

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
I hope this thread keeps going for awhile. I'd be interested in all the knowledge out there. Kayak fishing in Alaska is #4 on my bucket list too. I'm more of a 'fiscally efficient' kind of guy but also recognize that I'm not getting any younger. #5 on the my bucket list is to get a new bucket.

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
Eugene, Your post timing was perfect. I was going to ask for some Alaska advise too. Thank you for starting it.

Thank you Scott. I appreciate your pointers.

As I previously mentioned, the wife and I are planning to drive to Alaska. We'll leave a week after GS12 and return in time to clean up and head to Albion. We will take our Casita trailer and camp along the way.

I want to travel as light as possible (if possible). No kayak, no dog, no hunting gear. I will bring some fishing gear to use along the way. I'll rent and use charters for the ocean fishing.

Wasn't planning on going to Kodiak, but we might go as far as Homer. I'll look into Seward too. Depends on road conditions and how long it takes to drive there.

I would also appreciate suggestions from anyone that has made the drive. I pre-ordered the 2018 Milepost and it should arrive in March.

Thank you,
Al

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Many resorts are already all booked up in Prince of Wales (Craig area) and Northern Vancouver Island.  We tried booking some a couple months back and they were already full then.

That being said, I'm looking at 2019 if anyone wants to plan that far ahead.

-Allen

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Many resorts are already all booked up in Prince of Wales (Craig area) and Northern Vancouver Island.  We tried booking some a couple months back and they were already full then.

-Allen

You know I'm down.

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

polepole

• Administrator

-Allen

You know I'm down.

You know I know ...

-Allen

splashdown

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Here's my two cents worth for Alaska, since I have been there biannual since 2005.

I go out of the Kenai Peninsula and stay at Alaskan Fishing Lodge known as the Trophy Lodge in Soldotna. We, my group,  have an itinerary that has us up there for a week with six trips to go on. We get to ocean fish Homer and Seward, Salmon fish the Kenai and Kasiloff, fly out to catch some sockeyes, and an upper Kenai River trip to catch some nice trout. I usually tailor my trips to my liking so I don't do the flyout anymore.

We usually book our trip for mid July since all species are open plus the salmon runs for sockeye and the schooling up of silvers happen during that time. Also all species in the ocean are open.

In my years there last year was okay, but not as good as years past. The NOAA runs the halibut regulations now and the governor of Alaska is more commercial fishing friendly that others. Makes for some tough days to have fun catching and releasing fish.

We did do well with the salmon though with our party keeping 25 kings and releasing a few over 50 and one 86 pounder. Our average weight for the kings was 40 pounds. That made up for the sockeyes we couldn't get coming up the river and the small halibut we were forced to keep.
"bull riding came about when some redneck stated, "hold my beer and watch this!"

Dallas HOW Chapter Coordinator

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006

-Allen

I am interested if this is a trip similar to the Montague Island trip that we did.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

polepole

• Administrator

-Allen

I am interested if this is a trip similar to the Montague Island trip that we did.

I'm not actually looking into a kayak fishing trip.  I really want to do a resort style king salmon trip in the salt water.  I have a few resorts in mind, but if anyone has recommendations for this sort of trip in 2019, let me know.

I've been looking into the Craig AK area on Prince of Wales Island, Queen Charlotte Islands, and North Vancouver Island.

-Allen

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007

-Allen

I'm not actually looking into a kayak fishing trip.  I really want to do a resort style king salmon trip in the salt water.  I have a few resorts in mind, but if anyone has recommendations for this sort of trip in 2019, let me know.

I've been looking into the Craig AK area on Prince of Wales Island, Queen Charlotte Islands, and North Vancouver Island.

-Allen
I'm interested, depending on the dates. Long range trip is always in July.

RBark

• Shark Week every week I am OTW
  • Sea Lion
  • That Deaf Guy
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I was planning on making Prince of Wales reservations in May for a June 2019 trip.

In August 2018 I’m going to be fishing out of Port Hardy and Wknter Harbor (North Vancouver Island) over 7 days.
Thresher in avatar and Soupfin Shark in signature both caught and pic taken by me.
3rd place Kayak Connection Derby, 2014
45th place / 423 pts / 3 Species - AOTY 2014 (nowhere to go but up!)
30th place / 1132.25 pts / 7 Species - AOTY 2015 (moving up a little!)

Always looking for new people to fish with!

anything