Kayak Zone > Gearing Up and Rigging Up

Saddles for roof racks

(1/3) > >>

ganoderma:
I'm looking for feedback on saddles for a roof rack. I have used the Mako saddles for many years on a Subaru Outback and have always liked them. My 2014 Outback has crossbars that are much closer together than my old 2000 Outback. With the flexible Mako saddles, this causes the kayak to bounce up and down quite a bit, especially on rough roads or at freeway speeds. I'm looking to get a non-flexible saddle to use instead of the Mako. I have seen a few, but any feedback would be appreciated.

- Bill

Tote:
Thule Hullivator.
You'll never look back.

Da Bruddah:

Are you doing front and rear tie downs that are hook to the frame? I find that if you have a smaller car, the Yakima Mako Saddles will flex down with rear and front tie downs. Once I pull down the front and rear tie downs and use 2 straps to cinch up the kayak to the racks, my REVO 13 and Tandem Oasis (big kayak) are very sturdy and have gone 70+ mph on the freeway for long distances.
da Bruddah

LilRiverMan:
Not made any more but Ebay should have some - Landshark saddles. 2-3 straps over the top and you're set
Hope you are not using the factory crossbars on your Outback
or
Get a Hullivator if its in your budget.

JSchmidt:
I have the Yakima Sweet Roll on my Outback. I used it for my hobie pro angler before deciding to trailer it. They worked great for me, but I went to a trailer because it was too much time loading and unloading - something to consider when car topping your rig.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version