Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:29:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: GS4 - The MADNESS begins!!!!!!!  (Read 102730 times)

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I just confirmed with the Eureka DFG office that rockfish season opens from boats for both the north and north-central management areas on Saturday, May 15th, 2010.  On that day we will have either a formal or an informal kayakfishing tournament at Shelter Cove.  We call it "Gimme Shelter" and this will be the 4th annual.  The first year it was half a dozen of us fishing for salmon in early March - it was a little rough, windy and no salmon were caught.  We had a blast though.  The second year was to be on the rockfish opener - it was cancelled due to weather and high seas and winds - it was like a hurricane.  Last year, the third annual, we had great conditions and 45 kayaks on the water.  We had some great prizes and it was a no-entry-fee tournee.  Jedmo won it with a 56" Wolf Eel - took home a new GPS.  Rock Hopper/Dustin took second with a 34" ling and bagged the cush new yak-seat.  I took 3rd with a 32" ling and scored a nice new PFD.  We had prizes for those who placed up to 10th, and I think those were all lings over 30".  This year we'll hope for as good of conditions as last and maybe even more competitors.

One reason I'm starting up this thread is because Julie from The Tides Inn contacted me to let me know that we have 3 of her 8 rooms booked (Domenic, Danglin, and myself).  Last year we filled the place with NCKA and were able to have our potluck and awards ceremony on the patio above the beach there at The Tides - it was great. http://www.sheltercovetidesinn.com/ So I encourage folks to consider booking a room at The Tides - I think Julie will be extending the Winter Special again this year, so it'll be 3 nights for the price of 2.  We'll need to fill The Tides if we want to have the potluck there again.  Also, for those who wish to camp I'm sure the Shelter Cove Campground and Deli will be stoked to have us back - last year they gave us firewood, extra spots to party in and no hassles.

This get together is a feel-good event with a focus on friendship and adventure in a more remote spot than most people get to fish.  Shelter Cove has always been an awesome fishing destination and there's added allure because the last few years have seen shorter seasons and more restrictions, so there are more and bigger fish.  We also hope to have a salmon season happening while we're there, and the bonus fish last year was a 39" Pacific Halibut caught by Domenic the day before the tournee in 55' of water - the biggest AOTY halibut recorded over the years, btw...

Don't get this wrong - it could be rough, windy, raining, earthquakes...  Come prepared to salvage a good time from whatever Mother Nature offers and you will leave happy.

:smt001
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 02:16:49 PM by Black Ab »
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!  I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo EXCITED!!!!! :smt044  You bet I'll be there ;)
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Looking forward to it! (And judging by how early you posted up, I’m not the only one antsy to get up there haha!)
For all the Cove newbies, be forewarned: it’s wild up there. A day or two after GS3, this pod of orcas came in real close to shore to teach their pup how to kill. Wonder if they’d hit a Pencil Popper?

Edit: we actually had aspirations to catch salmon for GS2 (RF season wasn’t open yet). I remember because the DFG took emergency action to close the salmon season the following weekend…making GS2’s cancellation that much more bittersweet [it was our last chance for ocean salmon in (oh, what year is it now?) 3 years!]
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Fish N' Chips

• Salmon
  • Hobie Adventure
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Yes!  I can't wait.  Last year was a blast.  Ab diving, fishing and a good group!  Let the dreaming and trash talking begin  :smt001

Matt

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Yeeee Haaaa!!!  Should I start a count down? (j/k)  :smt003
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Jedmo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Please! Please! Please! Sign me up! I had such a blast last year. I can't wait to
hookup with the old gang and new ones of course. Now let see if I can get lucky
again and find one of those Wolfe Eal. :smt005 :smt005

Jedmo
1st place GS3 2009
7th place AOTY 2009

Fish Master1

• If it bleeds I can kill it.
  • Manatee
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Im not even bringing the yaks! Coming up in the Honda with dive gear and boogie boards! :smt044.. Can we have A spearfishing tourney? :smt006.....Cant F-In wait!!!!!!!!!
..........Sincerly A-Hull Muggle.

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Im not even bringing the yaks! Coming up in the Honda with dive gear and boogie boards! :smt044.. Can we have A spearfishing tourney? :smt006.....Cant F-In wait!!!!!!!!!

I'll join you spear fishing Andy  :smt006
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
The possibility of being able to fish for salmon is what I'll be fantasizing about...   :smt007
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Fish Master1

• If it bleeds I can kill it.
  • Manatee
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Eric in the first picture who is that Hillbilly second from right? You could have at least gave him A pair of socks!!!!! :smt044
..........Sincerly A-Hull Muggle.

Sledge

• GetSome!!!
  • Sea Lion
  • GetSome!!! Hell Yeah!!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Missed it last yr,  but this yr will be something else!!!  Sounds like a very good time...   :smt001 can't wait for that opener!!!
It's all about Today!!! Because who knows what tomorrow will bring... so Better get OTW n GetSome

DrHabanero

• Sea Lion
  • BigLipRipper
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
Awesome! I can't wait to head up there again. It was great fishing and is an awesome place to hang out. This year will be a lot better for myself since i was with my 2 month and 2 year old so I wasn't able to join much of the after partying but now they are all grown up 1 and 3 so it will great! Look forward to taking the title this year and hanging out with everyone. 
I'll rest when I'm dead!
2016 Ocean Kayak Predator
2014 Malibu X-Factor ,2014 Malibu Mini-X
2010 Malibu X-Factor ,2006  Ocean Kayak Drifter 
2011 Yakhopper Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7   Winner!
GS4 - 4th place

Andy1976

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Nice fish.  Sign me up for this one.  Andy
The world belongs to the energetic. 
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005

Look forward to taking the title this year...

Right on. That's the spirit!

I'm hoping to make it, but with a brand new baby boy coming a few weeks earlier it may be tough.

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

DrHabanero

• Sea Lion
  • BigLipRipper
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006

I'm hoping to make it, but with a brand new baby boy coming a few weeks earlier it may be tough.

I hear you there , I brought my newborn last year and found it a great place to hang out with the family.  My wife just loved hanging out next to the ocean with  our newborn. Congrats and hope to see you and your family up there.
I'll rest when I'm dead!
2016 Ocean Kayak Predator
2014 Malibu X-Factor ,2014 Malibu Mini-X
2010 Malibu X-Factor ,2006  Ocean Kayak Drifter 
2011 Yakhopper Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7   Winner!
GS4 - 4th place