Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:28:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Flush Mount Rod Holder Repair  (Read 6429 times)

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I have a repair question. The flush mount rod holder on my T-13 seems to have caught on something (probably while I was sliding it onto my roof rack) and been pried loose from the kayak. I called Ocean Kayak and they don't sell a repair kit.

What I need is the rubber insert that goes into the hole that the screw catches on. I can't reach the hole from the hatch so using a nut and washer on the other side is not an option.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!
Andrew
May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...

Abdiver

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2007
Its a standard well nut that you can find at just about any hardware store or boating store.
Ocean Kayak Pro Staff
Johnson Outdoors

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Yup, well nut.....but I'd remove them all and replace them with a klamptite rivet so it doesn't happen again.

..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Yup, well nut.....but I'd remove them all and replace them with a klamptite rivet so it doesn't happen again.

That would be a great idea,
However if it already had well nuts than the holes are to large for the rivits to work properly :smt009
As mentioned above ... hit your local hardware store and ask for some well nuts ... be sure to use some sealant around the flange and bolt holes so as not to have a water issue down the road :smt002

See Ya Soon,
Eric / Yakhopper
Hobie Outback (dune)

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thanks for the tip.
I'll get on it this week.
Andrew

KayakJames

• Sea Lion
  • Yes it is good
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2006
Where you located I got an unlimited supply of good rubber well nuts leme know and we can hook up and I'll pass them to ya
Where did he go george

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004

That would be a great idea,
However if it already had well nuts than the holes are to large for the rivits to work properly :smt009

Forgot about that one.  I wasn't happy with the factory positioning of the rod holders so when I pulled out the rubber wellnuts I was actually drilling for the re-positioned flushmount.  Me and the boys were scoping the 4.7 at caples, the straight back position and recessed flushmount area is money. 
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Where you located I got an unlimited supply of good rubber well nuts leme know and we can hook up and I'll pass them to ya

I'm in SF...Hayward's a bit of a trek, but I appreciate the offer. I need a few things from Home Depot anyway.
Thanks!

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Okay, so I botched my first attempt. The well nuts kept turning with the screw and wouldn't cinch down. And the glue I got from Austin Canoe and Kayak made a huge mess, so I took the whole thing apart and I'm back to square one. I'm gonna start over from scratch. Can anyone point me in the direction of the proper flush mount kit for the T13? And any tips on specific epoxies?
Thanks again,
Andrew

Kayote

• Sea Lion
  • Monkey Faced Sarcastic Fringehead
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
Alan flipped my P15 once with a rod in and completely ripped the flushmount from my OK. I trimmed the ripped plastic, adjusted the angle of the rod holder to a position I liked better anyway, redrilled and then used Marine Goop and the rivets shown above. I got the rivets from Hook1 for cheap. Repair was better than new. Simple, clean and super strong.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 08:42:19 AM by Kayote »
So I'm packing my bags for the Misty Mountains, where the spirits go...........

G-Whiz

• Sea Lion
  • I'm Glen, from the mailroom!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Are you referring to the rear  flush mount gimbal rod holders? If so, you might want to replace them with the Scotty round flush mount while you  are making repairs.  It will give you more flexibility fishing with different types of Scotty rod holders, Downrigger, flag/light pole, etc.

With a bit of a stretch, you can reach the back side of the screw from the inside of the kayak, which allows you to use s/s screws, nylon lock nuts, washers and rubber washers to greatly minimize or eliminate water seepage.

Btw: forget homedepot, go to ace right off Mariposa and 280; they have everything....

Glen
The one who dies with the most toys, WINS!

dropnlax

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Are you referring to the rear  flush mount gimbal rod holders? If so, you might want to replace them with the Scotty round flush mount while you  are making repairs.  It will give you more flexibility fishing with different types of Scotty rod holders, Downrigger, flag/light pole, etc.

With a bit of a stretch, you can reach the back side of the screw from the inside of the kayak, which allows you to use s/s screws, nylon lock nuts, washers and rubber washers to greatly minimize or eliminate water seepage.

Btw: forget homedepot, go to ace right off Mariposa and 280; they have everything....

Glen

I believe Glen was referring to this:

http://www.amazon.com/Scotty-Round-Flush-Deck-Mount/dp/B000M6MAP0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1319227752&sr=8-4

It works great!

Hermes

outback

• "The Experience Matters" TM
  • Sand Dab
  • View Profile Outback Adventures
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
You should not need any sealant on the wellnuts as they are intended to do their own sealing.  Use the sealer on the main hole.  If you apply the sealant on the well nuts this could explain why they keep spinning when tightening or perhaps you are using incompatible wellnuts and bolts.

Sometimes the reason why the well nuts come out is because the factory will haphazardly cut the main large hole causing it to bleed into the mounting holes.  This results in a well nut hole that is just 3/4 of a closed circle or worse.  I've seen this too many times on Ocean Kayaks.

Kayote has a good suggestion-- try to reposition it and drill new holes, but this time use rivets.

At Outback Adventures we try to avoid well nuts altogether.  When doing installs, our first choice is to use stainless steel through bolts, but if we can't access it from the inside we use rivets.  You can always go back and install well nuts, but as you have found out it's hard to go the other way.

Hopefully you just need new well nuts, but if it's worse than that reposition the rod holder and then optionally fill up the old holes by plastic welding.  If you want the rod holder in the exact same location and depending on what it looks like, you could possibly plastic weld the old holes then install rivets in the old location.

The worst case scenario is to weld on a plastic plate that is cut to the same dimensions as the rod holder flange and then start from scratch.  Hopefully you are not anywhere near that point.  We can do any one of these fixes for you or supply you with the materials to do it yourself. Feel free to bring it by the shop and we will give you our professional opinion.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 05:12:29 PM by outback »
Outback Adventures
Sales - Rentals - Classes - Tours - Repairs
Larkspur: 415-461-2222
Fremont: 510-440-8888
http://www.outbackadventures.com

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
    For a big bag of M&M's  G-Whiz  granddaughter might fit inside and help you with it.     :smt003     

Is that the peanut covered ones,  Glen ?      Please bring her out to Santa Cruz with you for when we modify your Raptor with that rudder.       :smt006

All good advice from Outback.
Sometimes the fish isn't the only prize.
2nd place  Simply Fishing 2013
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

You must pass through the valley of stupidity to ascend the mountain of knowledge.

Christian

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
They make rivets that are threaded inserts. That will act as the nut. Easy to install and hold great.
santa cruz raptor!!!

anything