Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:45:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Native Manta Ray 12 Propel - Paddle Speed Test  (Read 4294 times)

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Hi All,

At the recent AOTY event I took the MR12 out for a speed test.  Here's the video I shot.

Due to the amount of noise from where my action camera was mounted, the audio is completely useless.  I can hear my speaking at very high volumes, but the amount of squeaking from my feet and other hull noise drowns my voice out.  If you would like to see what I'm saying, I've updated the subtitle track to reflect my commentary as I paddle.

My paddle speed test went well, with speeds ranging from 3.5-4mph.  This particular kayak, due to its efficient hull design, paddles almost as well as it pedals, and is probably one of the best paddling pedal drive kayaks out there.

Let me know if you have any more questions about the MR12 or would like to try one out!  I believe Dan is getting an order in soon.  This is honestly one of the best 12' pedal drive kayaks out there right now. Its quick, its quiet, it paddles as well as it pedals, it has instant reverse, it is not that heavy, it has good carry ergonomics.

Full review and walkthrough video is coming next - hopefully by the end of next week.

Ben

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
You look like a ninja, Ben.  Thats one nice kayak there.
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

jrsuperman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
So it tracks straight like a non-pedal kayak?

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
So it tracks straight like a non-pedal kayak?
It tracks very well due to its stronger keel. Mine had a slight drift but overall very little course correction needed.

Ben

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

jrsuperman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks for quick reply man.. so You could probably say that it paddles more straight than a Hobie revo 11?

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
Thanks for quick reply man.. so You could probably say that it paddles more straight than a Hobie revo 11?
I think its pretty similar.  I never had problems paddling my Revo 11.  But every individual kayak is different due to minor imperfections and deformities in the hull, so its possible.  I will say it would probably outpace a Revo 11 over a distance, which is primarily due to the longer length. 

Hobie hull shapes tend to be a little more rounded and flatter which I think is what affects their paddle speed, but I'm not certain.  It gives them more stability for a sit down kayak but hurts their paddling speed even though they're not that wide.

This kayak is a great blend of speed and stability, as it provides good stability and opportunity to even stand up, but without sacrificing speed like other models do like the Slayer Propel 10 and 13 due to their wider bow entry.

The only thing that would make it faster would be if they found a way to plug the drivewell.  It does take water up into the well when paddling. 

Other than that, the only real negatives about the kayak are:
1. Small tankwell - will not fit a Engel 30 sized cooler with rod holders on side.
2. Weight capacity - this is a trade off, not a true negative.  Heavier people (like me, pushing 200), will get some water in the front scuppers if the kayak is loaded down with lots of gear.  Not a lot of water, and no wet butt syndrome though due to the seat.
3. Rigging - I wish the kayak had a couple more molded in options for tracks.  Overall its fine due to the amount of flat spots, and the relatively close rear hatch, which will allow me to properly add Scotty mount accessories and backing plates.  Some other of the new pedal drive kayaks don't have easy access so properly backing accessories will be difficult if not impossible.  Those kayaks were honestly not designed for the West Coast.

That's really it.  I highly recommend people go and try them out for themselves.

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
Now that I think about it more, it probably would track straighter than a Revo 11, pre-vantage seat.  Those kayaks have a tendency to drift a little while paddling as the flatter hull design causes them to shift a little to the left or right when you pull a paddle stroke.  If you're doing a higher angle paddle stroke and draw a little on the rear, that would possibly cause the kayak to drift the opposite way of your paddle direction, due to the torque you're using.

That being said, a Revo 11 would probably maneuver better than the MR12. The MR12 would track better but not be able to turn in the same radius.

So tracking vs maneuverability is more of a trade off than a negative for one kayak or another.  It really depends on what you care more about.

jrsuperman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
You hit the point abt Hobie 11.. I tried paddling the pre vantage seat and had instant drift to left/right per stroke.. I'm guessing the Hobie 11 '16 I have will be the same (just bought it recently) cuz hull design have not changed since forever I think .. at least the 16 tracks good but abit heavy for quick trips..

Sacyaking

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2017
Does anyone know where I may be able to demo one of these kayaks in the Sacramento area? Thanks.

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
Does anyone know where I may be able to demo one of these kayaks in the Sacramento area? Thanks.
Headwaters Kayak (Lodi), California Canoe and Kayak Rancho Cordova and Adventure Sports Kayak City (Located off el camino in sac, but demo location is Oakley @ Big Break Marina) all carry them.  Call them up and see which one can help you out.

Don't let them sell you one of our boats or another competitor's boat without an on the water demo.

anything