Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:51:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:20:40 PM]

[Today at 06:06:38 PM]

[Today at 04:50:16 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Guess I'll Start: GS5 Report  (Read 33302 times)

Roughster

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2010
So I got a late chance to go to GS5.  Unfortunately the tourney was closed but hey, I was there to fish as a priority anyways!  I got a decent jump out of Vacaville on Friday at about 4PM.  Only thing I forgot was dinner (wasn't a problem due to a pack of gas station hotdogs, the potlucks, and generosity of the Loose Screws!) and a towel (damn it was cold drip drying after showering).  Got to Shelter Cove as the sun dipped below the horizon.  By the time I paid my $40 for the 2 nights and drove in it was dark.  Kinda sucked to not know where everyone was, but I was pretty beat anyways after work (I went in at 5:45 AM) and the drive.  I talked to Aaron and his gf (sorry can't remember your name  :smt012 ).  I pretty much immediately crashed out in the back of my truck after that.  The party was going strong with lots of hooting and hollering.  Didn't really bother me though once I got to sleep.

Woke up at 5 AM and got my crap ready to drive down to the launch at 1st light.  Launched with Eric and a decent size group.  We trolled out to the Bell and Whistle with no one really seeing any action that I observed.  I marked a few waypoints were I saw schools of rockfish and bait on the way out which served me good steed the next day (more on that later). 

After trolling around for a bit, I finally got a tug, swung for the fences and nothing.  I waited him out doing a little bit of jiggling and sure enough he came back and got it:

A decent size black.  He must've came off the bottom and tagged it as I was trolling with a #40 dive plan a slingblade and a hoochie tipped with a side of chovy.  Released him and went back to trolling around.  Nothing for a long time.  I switched over to mooching with 2 barbless circles and landed a Gopher and Greenling that were immediately released:

Greenlings are such beautiful fish!  I had never seen one before.  After that I made my way back in since obviously the salmon weren't around.  I tried for some surf perch off the jetty after I loaded my kayak up to no avail.  Took some nice shots highlighting how beautiful the weather was:

That night it the storm started moving in but it was still great conditions for the "pre-potluck potluck".  The food was amazing and Martin's beer was fantastic!  Hung out with the Loose Screws for a bit after the potluck then crashed out again due to still trying to recover from the work week.

Woke up 5AM to absolutely torrential rain.  Loaded up and was at the launch around 6AM.  Back out but this time the whole crew was out in force.  The bad news?  The rain was so crazy I couldn't get my lens dry, no joke that's how bad it was raining!  On top of that the swells were decent size AND the wind starting blowing pretty hard in a solid consistent pace by 8am making it a bit choppy.  This had the effect of an ice box on us.  Literally, there were times I was shaking so bad I couldn't stop.  This was with a full 3/5 wetsuit + paddle jacket/pants and a hat.

Pre-8AM wind storm.

Anyways, I started off mooching with the 2 circle hooks and landed a Gopher to start.  Sorry for the lack of action pictures but the hawg trough shot will have to do!

Next up was a small Vermillion ~16" that I didn't get a picture of.  Same spot and I was able to scratch up a Cabezon.  This guy was pretty beefy and I was stoked to land him!

Moved spots and started fishing next Hobie Dave.  He laughed when I whipped out a swimbat on a lead head and started "bass fishing", but I had the last laugh, HA!  I landed 3 fish in rapid succession using a cast as far as I could, let it sink to the bottom, steady retrieve with pops off the bottom then let it fall till it tapped the bottom again and rinse repeat.  1st up was a good size Vermillion:

Tossed the swimbait back out and landed a shaker ling I tossed back.  Tried again and bam, a black:

The fun wasn't over though, I rerigged my swimbait as it was getting shredded, tossed it back out, another Verm that was pretty stout!

By this time, my swimbait (which only had one of) was so shredded, I actually had to flip it upside down to get it stay on the lead head.  The winner rig!  This thing was just a slayer!

About this time of day, we all heard a "Man in the water" radio call, quickly followed by a "he's OK" call.  Not sure what happened but interested in hearing the tale!  Tossed the swibait back out and...my 1st keeper Ling Cod.  I did manage to get 2 semi-salvageable live shots of him:

Not happy when I brought him in.  He flopped around and landed between my legs to where I saw a sight every man fears....big teeth right next to my junk!

This is what he looked like on the trough:

If I would've took the time to straighten him out he would've been close to 27". 

By this time I was absolutely frozen.  I looked at Dave who seemed to be pretty cold himself and told him I was thinking of heading in.  He said he was just thinking the same thing, so we headed back for the long pedal back in, got to love the Hobie!  Beached the rig and grabbed a few shots of the haul:

Yes my kayak is that much of a cluster fuck when I fish, heheh  :smt003

I immediately headed up to clean them up as I knew the second I degeared and relaxed there would be no way in hell I was going to clean 7 fish.  If you have read my reports you know I am just TERRIBLE at cleaning fish.  I actually felt like I got some good practice and managed to cut out some really nice fillets, but damn I am slow!  Sorry to anyone who was waiting for my spot!

At the end of my hack job, this was the state of the cleaning station:

Headed over to the potluck were it just poured rain and the wind blew like mad.  The food was amazing again, and it was nice to be able to find some Shelter in the garage  :smt003   Unfortunately I couldn't stick around for too long as I had to be in work this morning at 5:45 AM.  It was a long wet drive back home fueled by 3 cups of coffee.  I got home right after dark and was dreading unloading the truck, but it actually went pretty fast.

That was my 1st GS event and it was awesome!  Next year I will definitely immediately sign up and bring a few of the Mrs's dishes for the potluck!  Thanks to everyone who answered my noob questions!

• made in USA
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
like a one legged duck always going in circles
stormtrooper-i was there and survived
paradise butt hunt- 1st place
2nd place yakhopper's delta striper event
storm trooper 2-11 H.O.W.
2nd place yakhoppers new hogan striper event
2ND anual mooch invitational

strucdog

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
Great report, good picts, looks like a good time was had.
Vote em out!

Wldrnshntr

• Sea Lion
  • Work hard play hard
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
Great report thanks
http://wall-acepainting.com/index.html
What we learn to do, we learn by doing- Aristotle   We few, we happy few, we
band of brothers. - Shakespeare
2009 Stump yard sale 1st place
Clear lake stormtrooper 2010
Del Valle How stormtrooper 2011
RBCII  2011 3rd place Big Fish

brdopry

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Man it was hella cold!!!! there were some great pics taken i think people have to thaw out before they can post

superd270

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
Well worth the freezing weather. I'm with you on your jig/swimbait.
Cool report in a freezing weather.

Going Fishing?
Winds from the south, hook in
    the mouth.
Wind from the east, bite the least.
Wind from the north, further off.
Wind from the west, bite the
    best.

FishWorks

• It's MudSalmon Time
  • Sea Lion
  • MOOCH STRONG
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
so far sooo good, great report and fine haul there for your first outing at the sc! looks like there was a lot of fish caught even with the bad weather!
Just Slay
Host of the Berryessa Salmon Slam

FindThatFish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
man...some good looking fish there
nice

all those fish heads at the cleaning station...remind me of Sebastian from the Little Mermaid

« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 09:09:50 PM by FindThatFish »

baitNbeer

• Sea Lion
  • "kick his ass sea-bass!"
  • View Profile delta rats & salty bay dogs
the pictures will start rolling in...TRUST ME! lol

WHAT A GREAT EVENT!!!
 highlights for me:

* FRIDAY NIGHTS PARTY THAT WENT ON UNTILL 2 AM

*THE EPIC FOOD THAT WAS BEING SERVED EVERY HOUR ( SASHIMI SALMON , ABALONE , ERCHIN , GONADS , BALUT , STICKY RICE , FRESHLY CAUGHT CRAB ,SARAS DEEPFRIED SWEET POTATOES, WAHOO , JIMS BROWNIES , EVERYTHING OUTTA ZILLAS CAMPGROUND , GEORGES BREAKFAST BURRITOS , DIFFERENT CUTS OF STEAK , FRESH SHELTER COVE CAUGHT SALMON FROM A LOCAL , & MUCH MORE)

* DID I MENTION THE CRAB FEAST?OFF THE HOOK!

*THE BALUT FEAST

* NFB (no fu*king bueno) lol

* DIVING ABALONE POINT ON SUNDAY IN THE RAIN , GOT MY FIRST 9 & IT LOOKED LIKE AN 11 IN THE WATER , TIME FOR A BIGGER GUAGE! (YEA ITS NO 10 BUT IM HEADING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION I GUESS) VIZ WAS 15 FEET BTW , BIG DIFFERENCE THEN THE 0 FOOT OF VIZ ON SATURDAY.

* THE TWO LINGS I BAGGED IN THE WHOLE 1& A HALF HOUR OF FISHING SUNDAY MORNING BEFORE HEADING BACK IN IN A NEAR HYPOTHERMIC STAGE! LOL FUN TIMES!

* WATCHING ANDY BE AN AHULL ALL NIGHT! HAHAHA GOOD TIMES BUDDIE!

* KICKING IT WITH OLD BROS & NEW ONES ! THE LITTLE CORNER IN THE BACK OF THE CAMPGROUND HAD SOME COOL FOLKS THAT REALLY KNEW HOW TO HAVE A GOOD TIME , YOU GUYS & GALS KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

*ZILLAS CAMPSITE!!

* MONTANA RICHES E&J BRANDY....NOT!! LOL

* MY NEW FLOATLINE (THANKS ERIC)

*THE GIRL WITH THE BABY GOAT , WOLF & LEGLESS LIZARD!!!

*HANGIN OFF THE SIDE OF JACKS GOLFCART WHILE A DRUNK GIRL DROVE IT THREW THE CAMPGROUND AND JACK SAT PASSENGER LAUGHING!

^^^ JUST A FEW THINGS THAT I REMEMBER! HA!(FEW MORE I SHOULDNT MENTION!)

ONLY REGRET IS NOT STAYING ANOTHER NIGHT

TEAM HANG OVER! OR THE H.Os!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 09:37:19 PM by baitNbeer »
www.mossdalemilitia.com
 once you go yak , you dont go back
"But really though, I dont know how my wifes cucumber melon bodywash got in my dive bag"

TBONE

• Tbone
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
man looks like everyone caught fish awesome report bummed i missed out!
Live life to the fullest!!!! Make the best of each and every day!!

brdopry

• Salmon
  • View Profile
ha ha Andy ya missed the crazy locol that showed up sunday nite!!! did ya know he invented the internet? :smt044 i think hes zillas new best bud :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 pretty sure he sat in zillas campsite alone all nite in the rain lol

baitNbeer

• Sea Lion
im sure i missed out on alot :smt011 i hate work!
www.mossdalemilitia.com
"But really though, I dont know how my wifes cucumber melon bodywash got in my dive bag"

Chadrock

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008

*THE GIRL WITH THE BABY GOAT , WOLF & LEGLESS LIZARD!!!

TEAM HANG OVER! OR THE H.Os!

Dude, how could you forget the Emu? H.O.!
If you want to thank a Vet, be a person worth fighting for.

1st place Red Barn Classic 2010

baitNbeer

• Sea Lion
the Hangovers EXPAND! right on chad & randall for joining up! randall you should of stayed away from that balut man!
www.mossdalemilitia.com

brdopry

• Salmon
  • View Profile
did she ever find the legless lizard? :smt044