Kayak Fishing Zone > Safety First

Shark Shield Questions ???

(1/8) > >>

The X Inn Keeper:
Living in fisherman's paradise has allowed me more water time than ever before (40-50 days last year). Unfortunately, with all this time on the water, i also logged my first (and second) encounter with the landlord. So after two encounters in one year, i think it may be time to think of a little more safety.
Please post your opinions on the Shark Shield pros and cons if you have direct experience with this product.
Also if you have any connection with this company
Thanks for any info
;0)

surfbrewer:
I’m not affiliated with Shark Shield other than we do sale them at our shop. I’ve been to a couple of their presentations and looked at their studies and science behind the product. My takeaway is that I think they work and that out of everything on the market they are the best option. Will they work every time or deter every encounter? I wouldn’t bet on that but like I said, I think they are the best option.

In the end, sharks are a reality of kayak fishing and you either accept it and continue on or you buy a boat. For me, the Shark Shield at least gives me some piece of mind. They are pricey but less so since they lowered the price last year. They went from 650 down to 500 now.

DG:
I use one everytime I go out.  Definitely makes me feel better and that makes it worth it.  Hopefully I never have to real life test it. 

And yes the price has gone down and the amount of charges has increased since previous versions so per day use cost has gone down. 

PISCEAN:
Hey Eric,
I just posted up my opinion yesterday.
The product is solid in build and although it won't last forever the company makes that clear from the start and has a decent core charge/trade in program. My unit has withstood a ton of saltwater and kayak exposure with only some expected corrosion on a few replaceable parts.
I had a 1st gen Freedom 7 shield that went through Aaron and Scott before I got it, and I used it every trip for maybe 3 years before the battery died.
SS just sent me a brand new unit in exchange, with a cost of $275.00. They are (in the US) based in Waconia MN and were very pleasant to deal with, and timely considering it is a teeny tiny operation.

My personal experience with the Freedom 7 is that it works, up to a point. I doubt it would deter a committed fish over maybe 10-12 ft, but who knows?
My two stories are #1) once in Capitola when a 10-12ft white breached between us as we paddled along trolling. It was apparent that the fish had targeted Matt's Hobie, but veered off just as it encountered the shield sphere, causing it to bump his bow with the dorsal fin only.
#2 was out on the open sea in 60fOW on our North Coast and I was scoped by a slightly larger version, maybe 12-13ft that did a circle with dorsal and tail visible until it came within the 12ft sphere of the shield and then it did a 180 turn at full throttle and glided away beneath my kayak lit up looking like it was wrapped in polished aluminum foil.
I wrote my undergrad thesis on these fish, so my IDs are accurate (these were not salmon sharks) and my limited knowledge of their behavior seems to fit with my experience. Would the shark in story #2 have hit my boat? Not sure. I've been scoped by an even larger shark that did nothing (other than scare the piss out of me) when I didn't have a shield.
That said, I just spent $275 for the confidence that in a when a great white in in curiosity/checking you out mode, the shark shield makes a difference. With it activated it is clear to the fish that you are an unknown, and may pose danger.
as a side benefit, once a big hali or lingcod gets pulled into the sphere, it does stun them to a certain extent, making them slightly more compliant.

wow, that's a lot of words. Sorry.

TL:DR
I'm a proponent of the shark shield if it is affordable to the angler. My opinion isn't based in fear, but (limited) real world experience.

koln:

--- Quote from: yakhopper on May 23, 2018, 08:46:56 AM ---Living in fisherman's paradise has allowed me more water time than ever before (40-50 days last year). Unfortunately, with all this time on the water, i also logged my first (and second) encounter with the landlord. So after two encounters in one year, i think it may be time to think of a little more safety.
Please post your opinions on the Shark Shield pros and cons if you have direct experience with this product.
Also if you have any connection with this company
Thanks for any info
;0)

--- End quote ---

Can you tell us a little more about your experience (Im assuming in Shelter Cove ?)...what were your encounters like ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version