Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:18:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:53:15 PM]

[Today at 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: weird fishing injuries  (Read 6819 times)

JohnGuineaPig

• Sea Lion
  • ling cod will eat ling cod which will eat ling cod
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2005
oh yeah, i went spearfishing with a cohort one day in garrapatta and after i jumped off a rock onto my boogie board he did the same. for some reason or another he landed shoving the tip of his spear into my shoulder blade and left me yelping. thst thing poked a nice hole in my suit and left a mark in my shoulder. i got cold real quick that day. i could not believe how a hole like that could fill the suit with water so fast cycling cold water in and warm water out.

i make sure im just far enough these days from others.

john

Gowen4bigfish

Many years ago I was fishing with a friend on the river from the bank. After not catching any fish for awhile my buddy  decides to try some flyfishing. Well, as usual, he starts crowding me so I go down river a little ways. Next thing I know there he is again. I remind him he is flyfishing and it would be nice if we had a little space between us, so I go down river some more. I guess you know where this is going, yep sure enough he came down river some more to fish next to me and snaps that fishing line right on my bare back. So I do some yelling something like (damn it,  man it's not like I'm catching any fish over here why the hell do you keep moving in on me.) Some time passes and I tell him my back still really hurts. More time passes and he decides to change his line, but the fly is gone. He remarks what a wimp I am making all that fuss about the back lash and there isn't even fly on the end of the line. As he's talking and tying a new fly on he looks up at my back. Of course you know where that fly is. That's right. Buried deep in my back. We talked as he was removing that fly and what I said must of got through. We went fishing many other times together and he was allways very respectful of my space.

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
Gowen4bigfish you are one very patient human being

I would've been holding the guy's head underwater or tossed his flyrod in the river

A friend of mine had a similar experience when a guy was teaching his kid how to cast at everyone else's expense. He asked the guy to move the action but next thing he knew there was a lure stuck in his ear with the kid trying to whip it free. He was mad just telling me about it but I couldn't help laughing

mudshark

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
I was on the American river with some friends and my one year old black lab pup.I just cut my bait rig off and went to A repala A few minutes later my pup was all tangled up in my bait rig,I get it out of his legs and follow the line into his mouth.he ate the dam #4 owner.I cut the line and haulled him to the vet,the doc,comes into the waiting room with the X-ray and sure as hell there was my hook,the eye  of the hook was pointing up stream and the doc. thought he could pass it,long story short I kept A close eye on him and was diging in crap to get my hook back,I thought if he could pass it,it might be lucky.took him in for another x-ray and he was hook free,I never did find it

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • 35" and ~25lbs of halibut
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005

is that why they call you 'mudshark'?  :smt005

I got a hook through the thumb once as a kid, the only time my non-fishing dad
took me fishing. They had to clip the barb off and put it out.
john m. airey

fattfreddie

Yes, I have some awesome fishing injuries after fishing the Delta the past two days.
My thumb is worn through from fish teeth after I grabbed so many fish lips to unhook big bass.
My shoulder is sore from casting, and from reeling in big fish.
And the heel of my right palm is blistered from casting and/or reeling in.
Awesome injuries  :smt008

mudshark

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006

is that why they call you 'mudshark'?  :smt005

I got a hook through the thumb once as a kid, the only time my non-fishing dad
took me fishing. They had to clip the barb off and put it out.
not so much,Frank Zappa live at the Filmore east,check it out and you will know the story of the mudshark,its A noob dance thats sweeping the ocean

MolBasser

• Sea Lion
  • Kayak disguised as a Bass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
I've cut my forhead a couple of times walking around the back of my truck with my kayak on it by running into the rudder.....  :smt011

MolBasser
2006 Kayak Connection Father's Day Champion
"The Science of Fishing"
Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew!
  :happy10:

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
When my bro and I first started kayak fishing on our tandem, 6 years ago, we had a big boat gaff - 4 feet long (yes, we now have a small hand gaff). We were landing one day and a wave threw us a bit, and somehow the gaff, being so big and awkwardly placed in the boat, ended up with its point in my brother's ass cheek...nothing major, but there was a little blood.
May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...

Seabreeze

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
This is what keeps people in emergency room medicine.......the weird ones......."yeah, sure, whatever you say"......help to make up for the hard ones I'm sure
Saltwater is the cure for everything that ails us,
sweat, tear or the sea.

Kayote

• Sea Lion
  • Monkey Faced Sarcastic Fringehead
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
I had about a four pound rainbow on the back hook of a Rapala. I was going to release it so when I had it laid out near the bank, I grabbed the front of the Rapala so I could unhook it without taking it out of the water. Of course, the front hook went into my index finger and the fish went ballistic. I finally had to kill the fish to get it to stop fighting on my finger. Still hurts thinking about it. Stupid rainbow................ 
So I'm packing my bags for the Misty Mountains, where the spirits go...........

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I heard of a muskie fisherman that caught a big one with a plug with 3 sets of treble hooks...anyway, he held the beast with two hands (with the lure still in it's mouth) and he stood up on the small boat while his buddy was gonna take a photo....well, the muskie came back to life and did a head shake - the rear treble hook of the lure caught onto the guy's wrist....he let's go of the fish out of panic and pain....and the fish jumps out of the boat taking the guy along.  Without a life vest on, the man nearly drowned as the muskie was full of life and was swimming down to the depths - along with it's "hitch hiker". The man's friend, dove into the water with a knife and stabbed the fish to death and got his fishing buddy back to safety.....along with the dead muskie     :smt009

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
I've had the 4# trout thing happen with a tailwalk in bedding the other set of treble hooks. the on shore surgery took about an hour with a set of gerbers. That Muskie story is good, here's another one, fishing a cold November on the Smith @ the mouth, I gave up my prime spot on a jetty that protruded into the sea. It just looked to dangerous. A local jumps up and lands a monster stealhead, while he is facing us on the shore bragging and laughing @ me, a huge wave comes up and takes him off the rock and into the sea. Stud that he was, he pulled himself up and still had the fish, HANGING OVER THE WATER :smt009, yup, a seal the size of a volkswagon came up grabbed the fish and pulled the bastard back into the water upsidedown! This time he lost rod,fish and his wadders are full of water. We managed to get him with a rope and one brave swimmer, not me of coarse, I was still to busy laughing :smt005...DANGLIN
There are 3 Types of people in the world,,,

The Sheep, The Sheep Dog & The Wolf,

Which are You ,,,

2006 NCKA Shark Fishing Tournament Champion    
2nd Moutcha Bay, BC. 2006 "Tyee" Surfing Contest
ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion
2009-2016 Northern California HOW Coordinator

Love Baja…  :smt055

t-bone

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2007
some good stories guys.
well i have this 2 year old black lab pup and well, he's a black lab pup. so we have this soft rubber marlin lure with a wire leader hanging from a screw in the wall, so we come walkin out one morning and he has decided to chew on this thing, so he is running around the damn garage with a 4 foot wire leader and hook hanging from his lip, the wire leader in snagging on everything jerking him backwards by his lip. well we had to ruin probably a 8 dollar lure because my dog is as dumb as a door. we love him though.

skyboy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Ok, I have to ad to this one,
I was fishing a bass tournament at the back of the boat in Idaho with a highschool friend and just happend to look up and see a jig and pig from my buddy's rod on a back cast coming right for my head, I reacted quick enough to catch as it approached, only problem was he never looked back and continue to cast it. Set a pretty deep hook right trought my hand and almost out the other side. It had to be pushed through and clipped. Took forever to heal.

skyboy
Joe

anything