Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:32:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: knucklehead kayaker  (Read 2678 times)

H2Ospider

It has been a while since ive come to this confessional to reveal my youthful misadventures and after clearing out a closet I came across more old photos. I found a few that inspired me to expose myself to even more hazing than the hotspring or twin lakes encounters together.
 Im not sure what it was excactly that got me into this particular situation. Perhaps youthful arrogance or the fact that I was 6 months post head injury with skull/facial fractures. I dont think the left side of my face was even working again at this point, so the important skill of descision making may have been damaged and not yet repaired either.
   We used to occasionally paddle a lazy class 2 that had multiple chutes and had some good surfing waves when the water was big enough. I was 22 and had been paddling just long enough to believe that I had a clue as to what I was doing. One of these chutes was about 25' long and had a great wave at the bottom that could be surfed all day even without a paddle. I had gotten way to comfortable with this wave and had stopped wearing vest or helmet. I climbed up to the top of the chute and had planned on dropping in backwards, down the chute, and into the wave.  A tree was hanging over the entry and its leaves blocked my vision some. Thats my excuse for allowing myself to get wrapped on a nasty little rock that highsided me. The force of the water rushed up on the boat pinning me good.  I had my rec skirt on instead of a neoWW skirt so the water started pushing it off and I knew the boat would soon be swamped. I didnt have long before the weight would drag me over for a few more hard knocks to my already battered melon. I wanted out of the situation right now and the logical way was up. I reached up into the tree and latched on to a sturdy branch and pulled with everything I had. Thankfully the boat shifted and the current forced me off the rock and down the chute.I didnt surf the wave at the bottom mostly due to the fact that I was shaken to the core.
  I guess this really isnt much more than a tale around the fire, but its one of the events that reminds me that when we are kayaking we must embrace humility or it will come and embrace us.

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Oh to be young and fearless again!!!

Back in my whitewater days I once flipped and bashed my face on a rock.  My right eyebrow took the brunt of it and half the eyebrow was wiped off ... for A YEAR AND A HALF!!!  I'm not sure why it ever started growing back, but thankfully it did.  But not before I was in a buddy's wedding.  His bride made me use mascara to draw in an eyebrow for the wedding pictures and ceremony.  I don't know what was worse, wearing makeup, or having half an eyebrow.  I'm going to have to see if I have any old pics stored away somewhere.

-Allen

H2Ospider

Wow, mascara.  And I thought I was being confessional.

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Well, I suppose it wasn't just mascara.  The mascara was to thicken the fine hairs that were growing in.  But that wasn't good enough, so eyeliner was used to finish off the job.  It made for a good conversation piece with all the single women at the wedding.   :smt008

-Allen

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
oh yeah....backpedaling now.....the "alleged fine hairs....."

Allen

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel