Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:49:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Thermoformed tandems?  (Read 4568 times)

Hydrospider

Considering a tandem in 2016 and it is hard not to appreciate the lighter thermoformed boats.
I have only found 2 and was hoping that I could find some more info with the forums help.

The first is from KC kayak. Unfortunately it is 80+ pounds and I believe that the weight of the added accessories has cancelled out thermoformed plastic weight advantage.

The other is from RIOT (the devilfish) and while I like the topside, Im not sure about the hull description or the "silencer blades".
I am assuming that they are referring to some sort of tandem rudder system but Im not positive.

If anyone has info and hopefully pictures of the RIOT "devil fish" hull or the silencer blades it would be appreciated.

ALSO, any info on other thermoformed SOT tandems out there.
Thanks

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Hurricane also makes a tandem, but its not really designed for fishing.  Its more of a traditional tandem and rated at 65lbs and 14 feet.

http://hurricaneaquasports.com/our-kayaks/sit-on-tops/skimmer-140t/

But that RIOT devilfish tandem does look really nice and interesting - I somehow doubt the 60lb rating looking at the design though - how could they cut 5 lbs off the skimmer weight with a catamaran style hull and longer length?  that usually results in more plastic, not less.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 10:09:04 AM by bmb »

wannabe

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
What don't you like about the Jackson Big Tuna?
"Do it while you're young. You may never have another chance to do anything this stupid again!" - Tom Magliozzi

vwool

• "Grab life by the Paddle"
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2011
Are you looking for a SOT?

This comes in at 63 lbs but is a sit inside http://eddyline.com/kayak-model/shasta
Eddyline Caribbean 12
OK Malibu Two XL
Hobie Revo

Host of Crabfest 2012-2022

seabird

• Salmon
  • Oh my GAHWD Jay, It's a baby fahkin WHEEL jay
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Probably that it weighs 92 pounds

Hydrospider

Probably that it weighs 92 pounds

The resource that I checked had the BIG TUNA at 105 and it felt heavier.
Its also roto-molded polyethylene.

Are you looking for a SOT?

This comes in at 63 lbs but is a sit inside http://eddyline.com/kayak-model/shasta

Yes, Im interested in the SOTs. But Eddyline is a company that I would really like to see produce a thermo-tandem SOT. A stretch C-135 might be tough to pass on. 

There is a RIOT dealer in HMB and another in Mission Beach.  Going to dig deeper into learning more about the devilfish.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 10:39:54 AM by Hydrospider »

fishkraft

• Come to the "light".
  • Sea Lion
  • Stealth, Ducati and Lotus, light makes right.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
Stealth makes two tandem models. The Duo and the ProFisha Duo. Both are awesome for fishing and super fast. You can expect the duo to be slightly more stable and the ProFisha Duo to be lighter, faster and more maneuverable. The heavier of the two (the Duo) weighs in at 75 lbs.

You can check them out here. 

http://stealthkayaks.co.za/kayak-range/fishing/duo/

ruben
Stealth Kayaks Pro Staff

Grim Reefer

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014

I have one and like it.  The weight is A HUGE drawback as is the seat attachment method.  They definitely could have done better on that design. Great for taking the kids out though.  Now when eddyline gets on board and builds a tandem I will be all over it.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 03:08:36 PM by Grim Reefer »

reelmccoy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2015
The stealth Duo looks pretty sweet! And only 75 Lbs. 

Hydrospider

Went to the source and RIOT says that they will have a final version and photos of the devilfish ready after the first of the year.

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Checking back in on this topic.

Last weekend, I finally got a chance to try out the Hurricane Skimmer 140T.  It is definitely a relatively lighweight boat, and seems like a pretty nice design for stability.  That being said, I felt the boat did not paddle very well from its rear solo position. It does have an indentation for a middle solo clip in style seat, but it would not come with any foot pegs at that position.  In addition, both the front and rear seats appear to be integrated into the kayak, which would make removal nary impossible.  The rear solo position was very far back, and I think would have been better if it was placed maybe a foot forward. 

Overall, its a nice boat, but not a perfect one.
Plus - light weight, stable and looked to have lots of opportunities to rig it for fishing as necessary.  the 14' length is excellent for a tandem boat, no risk of hitting the front paddler with paddle or splashing them with paddle drip
Negatives - the light weight and solo paddling allowed the front of the kayak to rise up at least somewhat, enough for a decent amount of hull slap.  it did not appear to have as strong of glide as its more narrow cousin, the Skimmer 140.  The 33" width really hurt its paddling ability.  I would have much preferred it at 29-30".

anything