Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:52:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Doran Crabbing  (Read 1489 times)

masterandahound

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
I promised a few friends (very beginner fishermen) that I'd take them crabbing this weekend. We made a tentative plan to toss snares and a few hoops off the jetty at Doran tomorrow. I'm hearing that the jetty was pretty poor during the opener and I'm recalling how tough of a spot that it can be especially for beginners. I've yet to crab from a kayak myself but have all of the gear to do so, and I've heard that Doran(in the protection of the jetty) is a safe, low pressure spot to learn the ropes. I don't even care if it's a cooler full of reds, I'd just like my friends' first trip to result in a crab boil when we get back. That being said, I don't want to be the guy that gets in over their head either and gets into trouble. Is there a general swell/wind guideline for beginner crabbing conditions ? Just wanted to be able to supplement what they get off the jetty to make it worth the effort, if it's safe.

Otherwise, can anyone suggest a more beginner-friendly pier to get them set up at instead ? Laswon's maybe ?
Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game

Stone85

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2016
Inside the jetty is super protected and very begginer friendly. Only like 20' deep all the way to the end of the jetty. Just take your time and don't overload your kayak I have tipped a couple times

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I promised a few friends (very beginner fishermen) that I'd take them crabbing this weekend. We made a tentative plan to toss snares and a few hoops off the jetty at Doran tomorrow. I'm hearing that the jetty was pretty poor during the opener and I'm recalling how tough of a spot that it can be especially for beginners. I've yet to crab from a kayak myself but have all of the gear to do so, and I've heard that Doran(in the protection of the jetty) is a safe, low pressure spot to learn the ropes. I don't even care if it's a cooler full of reds, I'd just like my friends' first trip to result in a crab boil when we get back. That being said, I don't want to be the guy that gets in over their head either and gets into trouble. Is there a general swell/wind guideline for beginner crabbing conditions ? Just wanted to be able to supplement what they get off the jetty to make it worth the effort, if it's safe.

Otherwise, can anyone suggest a more beginner-friendly pier to get them set up at instead ? Laswon's maybe ?
I've caught at the end of the west road of Bodega Bay and snared off the road where the vehicles park and cast right off the road.
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

masterandahound

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

I've caught at the end of the west road of Bodega Bay and snared off the road where the vehicles park and cast right off the road.
Campbell Cove. I've done well there too so we might give it a shot. Two friends went out and bought hoop nets so they're hell bent on using them. So, jetty it is for a while anyways.

I'll probably give kayak crabbing a try later in the season and just focus on helping my friends tomorrow. I'm sure they're going to need it. Maybe the jetty for a while and hit the cove if it isn't crazy busy.

AnchorPoint

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2012
I was at Doran jetty mid week and the crabbing was very slow.  Kayaks were getting them in 30 feet of water ... not a lot but some.  Maybe the rain will bring in some this weekend.
R-pod

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I’d launch the kayak at west side road snare from the beach on low tide and drop traps right outside of the boat traffic channel. Easy paddle beginner friendly
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

masterandahound

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thanks for the info, everyone. As soon as we got to Doran, I was kicking myself for not bringing the kayak. We got everyone familiarized with tossing hoops at Spud Point for an hour and then headed over to the jetty for nada. Saw 4 keeper dungies and 2 reds caught by those around us all day. Painfully slow. Looking forward to getting after them on the kayak sometime soon.

achu

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
what is the water temperature now at Doran?

I read the safety gear post for salt water fishing.  really appreciate that info.

I have a 3mm FJ wetsuit, long sleeve rashguard, neoprene boots, and a Chinook PFD. Should I bring a VHF radio if I just soaking the pot inside or close to jetty? 

masterandahound

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
what is the water temperature now at Doran?

I read the safety gear post for salt water fishing.  really appreciate that info.

I have a 3mm FJ wetsuit, long sleeve rashguard, neoprene boots, and a Chinook PFD. Should I bring a VHF radio if I just soaking the pot inside or close to jetty?
Water temps are bouncing around in the 54-56 range.

The time that you don't bring your radio along will be the time that you need it. And even if it's not you in trouble, you never know if you'll need to radio to help someone else in distress. Better safe ...