Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:58:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Feelfree Lure 11.5 or Hobie Outback?  (Read 5795 times)

sacyakattack

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Hi everyone--

I'm getting ready to make the plunge into an expensive kayak (at least to me) and I'm having a lot of trouble deciding on the direction I want to go in.  I REALLY like the feelfree lures.  The seat and the stability are appealing to me because I like to stand when I fish and I'll be doing a lot of jigging for salmon and topwater for stripers in the Sac river and the delta.

However, I consider myself pretty lazy and the pedals on the Hobie would be spectacular for trolling and moving longer distances with less exertion.

Finally, and I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for on this, I can see myself taking my soon to be had kayak on the ocean at someplace like Half Moon Bay or Santa Cruz and I know the Hobie is good to go, but what about the Feelfree?

Unfortunately, I cannot go longer than 12 ft and as always, price is a consideration.  The Hobie is a lot more expensive.

WingShooter

• Sea Lion
  • I fish not to escape life but to live it.
  • View Profile Branson Baits
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
I'll be doing a lot of jigging for salmon

If you want to jig, the Hobie is where it's at. Hands free fishing!
The love the new Outback, so many great upgrades from last year (new chair, wider deck for standup, side handles, cup holders, etc.).

The Hobie Outback is worth the investment IMO. Add a Wilderness standup bar and you're ready to flip in the Delta.

The FeelFree is a nice boat but paddling that thing IMO is going to be tuff especially if you're going against a delta/sac current.

Mike
www.bransonbaits.com 

US Hobie Fishing Team Member
Lowrance Pro-Staff
EGO Pro-Staff
Lew's Pro-Staff
Diawa Pro-Staff

ljparton

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
If you're going to spend that kind of coin I would recommend just going with a Hobie Outback.

My next expensive purchase will be a Hobie Outback.

I really enjoy jigging for rockfish and being able to pedal(rather than paddle) and jig would be amazing.

When I'm in my OK Trident I find myself using the natural drift, but sometimes the drift is in the wrong direction.

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I would go for the Outback.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

oldfart

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Those are the exact kayaks that my wife chose from.  She likes to fish flies and found the Lure very stable to stand up and cast from but it was also a lot more susceptible to the wind and was slower and much more work to paddle than the Outback is to pedal.  She ended up with the Outback and is happy with her decision.
"Pedo Viejo" is what Antonio called me.

sacyakattack

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
there's a part of me that feels like I knew the answer to this before I asked it.  Always the more expensive yak... lol.  I guess I'm going to have to stop drinking red bulls so my kidney will still be good when I sell it for this.  Thank you for the help guys!  I'm going to go take a look this week.

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
IF your really wanting to stand on a yak, I would get a yak made for standing on.  The Outback is great for trolling, but not great for standing, although i'm sure it can be done. 
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

vwool

• "Grab life by the Paddle"
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2011
Demo both and see which one you like the best.
Eddyline Caribbean 12
OK Malibu Two XL
Hobie Revo

Host of Crabfest 2012-2022

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Is the 12' a hard limit?

DrHabanero

• Sea Lion
  • BigLipRipper
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
I think Dan at headwaters has another used  Pro Angler that is in excellent condition that he is selling. I bought one of them and it is almost brand new. these are 14' , it is made to stand and fish on. Call him.
I'll rest when I'm dead!
2016 Ocean Kayak Predator
2014 Malibu X-Factor ,2014 Malibu Mini-X
2010 Malibu X-Factor ,2006  Ocean Kayak Drifter 
2011 Yakhopper Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7   Winner!
GS4 - 4th place

sacyakattack

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
The 12' is indeed a hard limit imposed by the general herself  :smt011.  Dr. Habanero, I'll be heading down to Lodi this week to see the feelfrees and the hobies.  I WAS pretty set on the feelfree lure which he has in stock, but I'm not so sure now.  I am loving that PA 14 they have but it's just too big even though the price on it is nothing short of spectacular.  On a complete side note, Dan from Headwaters is really awesome.  He has done a lot more to help me with this than I would have ever asked or expected from any store.

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I don't think Dan has any Hobies other than that PA '14 that he got in a trade.  He might still have a Native Slayer Propel around but you would have to check with him.  The slayer propel 10 is a great kayak, although probably too small for the ocean.  If you could find an extra foot of length, you should consider a Propel 13.  It meets all of the things you're asking for.  Pedal driven, easy to stand up in, very stable. 

sacyakattack

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I will also take a look at a Native.  I can't do anything more than a 12 though unfortunately.  I realize that may make it impossible to ocean fish, but I don't foresee ocean fishing too much, I really just wanted to have the option in case I want to head out for some rock cod or stripers.  Thank you for the help

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Standing on the outback may not be the best thing, but I have never owned one. It seems to me that Hobies in that range are not made for standing. With that said, I believe in the long run you would be happier with it. A lot of guys use that on the ocean and are happy with it.
http://WildernessSystems.com      http://ATPaddles.com
http://ShastaTackle.com               http://MacksLure.com

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff           Heroes on the Water Coordinator
Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2017 ARW Halibut 3rd Place
2017 Berryessa Salmon Slam MBF winner
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars 1st Place--- Teamed w/ATD
2014 AOTY 3rd Place-Again
2013 AOTY 3rd Place
2012 Berryessa Salmon Slam  1st Place
2012 Sonoma Slam 1st Place---Teamed w/ATD
2012 TRW 2 1st Place----Teamed w/ATD
2012 PIF Big Salmon Winner
2012 Fresh Kats Series Champion
2012-13-14 Team NCKA Kayak Wars 1st Place Team Overall

sacyakattack

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Thanks for the help guys and the PMs for the people who sent them with leads on where to purchase a kayak.  I think I'm going to hold off on the feelfree and go test a couple out.  You guys have me sold on a propulsion system.  As much as I like the idea of the feelfree (w/unitrak, the standing platform, gravity seat, etc) I don't think I'll be 100% happy if I don't get a Hobie.  Unfortunately I'm one of THOSE people who buys and sells until I end up with the one I didn't want to spend all the money on in the first place.

I must say though, I really am in love with the design of the feelfree.  If it had pedals I'd be all over it.

We'll see.... I need to make a move quickly so I can get some practice in before I go off and try to hook a sturgeon from a yak.  Again, thank you for all the help.  I hate being indecisive about things, but it's a good chunk of change so I want to be sure.

anything