Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:04:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Handheld gps reccomendation  (Read 734 times)

• Napa Fisherman
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Any reccomendations for a good handheld gps? Id like to get one for offroading/hiking/backpacking etc. no more than $300... thanks

Lingling

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
Not a recommendation but rather something to avoid. Garmin. I work with a lot of GPS units - commercial (trimble) and consumer grade stuff. I had a GPS60 years ago and it was great - good accuracy (for the time), great battery life and great feature set. A couple years ago I upgraded to the current model and it is awful in everything it does. The accuracy isn't bad but other than that, it's useless, and very expensive for what it is.

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
type handheld gps in the search function and you will be on your way :smt006

That's what makes this community so good.  Soooo much good information from people that care about the community
David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

cam3087

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2012
Garmin 60csx. All day everyday. Find one on ebay for a great price. I'd still have it if it didn't break down on me after a couple years. I upgraded to a newer updated model like the guy above and it sucks ass compared to the older 60csx.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2nd Place 2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars IV

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
The Navionics app is pretty impressive for the iPhone, and for only $10. Not quite a GPS, but it saves routes, and you can drop markers, etc.
May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I had a handheld Garmin GPS with camera (can't recall the exact model off the top of my head), and liked it a lot. I'd still have it if I hadn't dropped it overboard....

Now I use my iPhone in a waterproof case, and that works for me.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

SOMA

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
I started with a Garmin 12.  Worked good for what I needed at the time.  (Calculating area)  It crashed on me, sent it back to Garmin, they reloaded the program and returned it free and included a padded case.  Tried a Brunton Atlas GPS.  Too complicated for my simple mind.  Currently using a Garmin 60cs, color version.  Great for cross country tracking but what I use it for the most is the tide chart and best times for the fish bite and sun/moon rise and set.  Tides are calculated for your location but the fish bite does not seem to be to accurate, but then again, I'm not the most successful fisherman.  My backup GPS's are a Garman 60 (non color version) and my old standby Garmin 12.

jp52

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
I just use my phone. With an app like Gaia GPS you can download several different types of maps for use when offline, can make routes on your computer and sync to your phone, etc. When I'm backpacking I put it in airplane mode and turn off the screen unless I'm looking at so the battery last a really long time, over 12 hours of running. Of course I don't always have it on so that lasts me a couple of days. I take a solar powered battery if I'm going out for a few days. If you are with friends you can have multiple backups.

mdoka_matt

• Sea Lion
  • Its happening like Soledad
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
I like my Garmin Montana.  I purchased an additional west coast ocean bathymetry map which displays depth contours to 10ft. That is the primary use for me, but the land based maps are also very useful for hiking/driving.  I think they are more than $300 though... 
2010 T-13   Sand                    
2011 T-13   Yellow
2012 Hobie Adventure Dune

wizz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Any reccomendations for a good handheld gps? Id like to get one for offroading/hiking/backpacking etc. no more than $300... thanks

Off-roading, like dirt bike/Jeep trail? Like matt said the Montana is pretty awesone, I mainly use mine for dirt biking/dual sport riding. They’re expensive, maybe look for refurbished or used, but they really are a nice unit for off the beaten path tracks and such.
"The howling tide of unreason beats against pure fact with incredible fury"-Terrence Mckenna

cam3087

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2012

Off-roading, like dirt bike/Jeep trail? Like matt said the Montana is pretty awesone, I mainly use mine for dirt biking/dual sport riding. TheyÂ’re expensive, maybe look for refurbished or used, but they really are a nice unit for off the beaten path tracks and such.

Well look who it is.... you move or what?? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2nd Place 2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars IV

anything