Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:51:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:46:36 AM]

[Today at 08:45:08 AM]

[Today at 08:01:43 AM]

[Today at 07:37:53 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:50:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Honest opinions about the sport of kayak fishing  (Read 3901 times)

iochrominae

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
I've lurked on a lot of advice pages and everyone has different opinions but for me one of the better things I've seen is that yaks are full of trade-offs. Trade-offs between between cheap and expensive, speed and stability, between simplicity and complexity, etc.... If you take the plunge you will be reminded constantly of the limitations and downsides of the trade-offs you've accepted and sometimes you're going to have to play to your strengths and sometimes you decide it's too much and go back to the drawing board and accept a different set of trade-offs. And if you're like me that cycle of testing and refinement may never end

My honest opinion is that doing your homework is important, but don't take everything you read on the internet (except everything I say of course  :smt003 ) with a grain of salt. I personally believe the best way to figure things out is to get out and experience it, whether you have to go spend some time in a rental or find a place that does demos. The important thing is to fit your decisions around your preferences and acknowledge the trade-offs entering in ahead of time. Also be ready because your preferences are going to change completely (I lust over boats and gadgets I never would have even considered when I was getting started, YAY!).

Also the community is super swell

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
I've lurked on a lot of advice pages and everyone has different opinions but for me one of the better things I've seen is that yaks are full of trade-offs. Trade-offs between between cheap and expensive, speed and stability, between simplicity and complexity, etc.... If you take the plunge you will be reminded constantly of the limitations and downsides of the trade-offs you've accepted and sometimes you're going to have to play to your strengths and sometimes you decide it's too much and go back to the drawing board and accept a different set of trade-offs. And if you're like me that cycle of testing and refinement may never end

My honest opinion is that doing your homework is important, but don't take everything you read on the internet (except everything I say of course  :smt003 ) with a grain of salt. I personally believe the best way to figure things out is to get out and experience it, whether you have to go spend some time in a rental or find a place that does demos. The important thing is to fit your decisions around your preferences and acknowledge the trade-offs entering in ahead of time. Also be ready because your preferences are going to change completely (I lust over boats and gadgets I never would have even considered when I was getting started, YAY!).

Also the community is super swell

+1

+ test paddle/pedal as much as you can before you buy.  I was 100% I knew what I wanted and was ready to buy online until I saw Dan at Headwaters.  Nothing beats going to a reputable kayak shop and testing out what is available to make an informed decision.

++ Be prepared to also spend a good sum of $$ on accessories for you and your kayak as well.  I would suggest, get the necessities first (PFD, dry bags, etc), then take it out and see what else you may need/want. 

+++ the kayak community is great and the NCKA community are rockstars.
David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

iochrominae

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
+ test paddle/pedal as much as you can before you buy.  I was 100% I knew what I wanted and was ready to buy online until I saw Dan at Headwaters.  Nothing beats going to a reputable kayak shop and testing out what is available to make an informed decision.

++ Be prepared to also spend a good sum of $$ on accessories for you and your kayak as well.  I would suggest, get the necessities first (PFD, dry bags, etc), then take it out and see what else you may need/want. 

I have a considerable amount of $$ invested in paddle, PFD, drybags, and waterproof tackle storage and I have never regretted that decision

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018

I have a considerable amount of $$ invested in paddle, PFD, drybags, and waterproof tackle storage and I have never regretted that decision

+1

and one more word of advice.  If it isn't secured to you or your kayak and you drop it or roll over, it will either float away or sink to the bottom.  Either way  can really ruin your day.  (A good rule of thumb is if you can't afford to replace what you lost on your way home, secure it)
David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

ScottV

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I like my kayaks, but love my float tubes.

If I need to cover lots of water or the ocean to find fish, then I use my kayak, but 95% of the time I use my float tubes.  I cover about 4 - 5 miles a day in my float tube. 

But then I am a fly only fisherman and people think I am weird, so there you go.
So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

---------------------------------------
Dark green OK Trident 13

2014 FreshKATS Clear Lake 6th place on the fly
2014 King of the Port 2nd place on the fly
2014 FAOTY Fly Angler of the Year
2015 FreshKATS Rollins Lake Round-Up 1st place on the fly!
2015 FreshKATS Tournament of Champions 2nd place of the fly

Scruzfish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018

If I need to cover lots of water or the ocean to find fish, then I use my kayak, but 95% of the time I use my float tubes.  I cover about 4 - 5 miles a day in my float tube. 

But then I am a fly only fisherman and people think I am weird, so there you go.

Do you use your float tube and fly fish in the ocean?

ScottV

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011

Do you use your float tube and fly fish in the ocean?

I have in bays like Newport and San Diego.  But for big open water, HELL NO, but I have thought about trying it.
So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

---------------------------------------
Dark green OK Trident 13

2014 FreshKATS Clear Lake 6th place on the fly
2014 King of the Port 2nd place on the fly
2014 FAOTY Fly Angler of the Year
2015 FreshKATS Rollins Lake Round-Up 1st place on the fly!
2015 FreshKATS Tournament of Champions 2nd place of the fly

splashdown

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I can remember my first contact with these NCKA types. It was at the HMB tournament in 2007 and ALL of these great bunch of guys welcomed us, my wife and I, into the group readily and made us feel comfortable. Might have been because I am part Philipino, but who knows.

Throughout the years I have had the privilege of fishing with these guys and learning a lot about kayak fishing, which I now bring with me to Texas and teach "rookies" the fine art of our sport.

I will forever have great memories fishing and getting to know this crazy bunch of guys and miss them all dearly as well as all the damn good food. NCKA rocks!!!1 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003
"bull riding came about when some redneck stated, "hold my beer and watch this!"

Dallas HOW Chapter Coordinator

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Peer pressures, and bullying into kayaking has gotten to him I think... no response.  These things happen regularly I guess Lol JK
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

A-Rod

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
I've been following this thread, and many others, even sneaking peeks while sitting in my office staring at Mt. Diablo from my office window, daydreaming of this weekend's fishing adventure (from land of course since I don't have my yak, lol).

So many great and truly honest replies in this thread about my OP.

There were some interesting posts about 'SG.' Not sure what that was about, but hope to find out some day :-)

Nothing has dissuaded me from jumping into the sport. You guys have only fueled the fire! I'm still targeting later this year or early next for purchasing my yak. I'll buy a new yak, but thanks to the forum, I have researched many of the things that I think are the most important to me. I'll share those when I get closer to having the yak. Thanks again all!

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
There's a few of us that live in the Tri-Valley that can help you try out kayaks.  I am a staffer with Native Watercraft, so you can try out our pedal drives if you want to make the trek to Shadow Cliffs.  I let people use my yaks all the time. 

If you're set on that Hobie Outback though, you'll probably be better off talking to someone at California Canoe and Kayak, CCK. I believe they have a Hobie demo day coming up at Redwood City CCK location on October 13, and they rent them at the Jack London Square location.

-bmb

LilRiverMan

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
like any other "thing" there`s hardcore kayak-angling jerks, hardcore  kayak-angling  nice guys, casual slayers and  cliques , the competitive types ,non competitive types , over the top going to get a divorce cause they fish too much and ignore their family types.there`s  the sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wasteoids, dweebies, dickheads  they all get a kick out of it. , they think it`s a righteous challenge

what I hate  : bmb and getting a hook embedded in my hand ,but I cant decide which is worse

what  like : DirtyDave ,Eddy,Rockfish,Bushy,3$J,polepole,Raydon,Ravensblack,LoletaEric,rockroach,Chad,Cabeza,Craig ,TW ,Alex-Bulldog  ,rider,Hojo,SHULAND,Vwool,Big Jim,FishMaster , Sin Coast,NoSoupforU,Ariel,Shifra,Yakhopper,Fisherman X,RockHopper,Fishshadow,Napajustin,Louis ,Josh,ChuckE,Yoda,Crash (even though he likes turtles), Traildad,Scottymeboy,Nick,Annie,Kiel,Tommy,Jingle,Happy Hooker ,H1,Jeff,Rob ,Steve,R bark, Pablo, Darius,Don,texas boy ,Alain,Yakhopper and thats just the off the top of my head..oh and yeah even Bmb ( dont tell him)

I just read through this whole thread and the only takeaway is that there's some secret club with yak sluts............so long as they're not the gaysian tuna chasers I think I need to join this clique   :metal

^
THIS ^

And how come my name is not among the likes. I mean - Really?
And which way to the non-gaysian Tuna chaser sluts ?
And BMBs a dick, except when he is super cool for taking me Salmon fishing on his PB
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 03:34:48 PM by LilRiverMan »
Winner, 2012 Fisherman's Warehouse, Tiki Lagoon - Stripers.

Proud paddler - Pay it Forward Paddle 2010 / 2011 / 2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018

In the game of biggest fish, if you can't enjoy routinely gettin' your ass handed to you, by great fishermen, then you don't belong in the NCKA.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
like any other "thing" there`s hardcore kayak-angling jerks, hardcore  kayak-angling  nice guys, casual slayers and  cliques , the competitive types ,non competitive types , over the top going to get a divorce cause they fish too much and ignore their family types.there`s  the sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wasteoids, dweebies, dickheads  they all get a kick out of it. , they think it`s a righteous challenge

what I hate  : bmb and getting a hook embedded in my hand ,but I cant decide which is worse

what  like : DirtyDave ,Eddy,Rockfish,Bushy,3$J,polepole,Raydon,Ravensblack,LoletaEric,rockroach,Chad,Cabeza,Craig ,TW ,Alex-Bulldog  ,rider,Hojo,SHULAND,Vwool,Big Jim,FishMaster , Sin Coast,NoSoupforU,Ariel,Shifra,Yakhopper,Fisherman X,RockHopper,Fishshadow,Napajustin,Louis ,Josh,ChuckE,Yoda,Crash (even though he likes turtles), Traildad,Scottymeboy,Nick,Annie,Kiel,Tommy,Jingle,Happy Hooker ,H1,Jeff,Rob ,Steve,R bark, Pablo, Darius,Don,texas boy ,Alain,Yakhopper and thats just the off the top of my head..oh and yeah even Bmb ( dont tell him)

I just read through this whole thread and the only takeaway is that there's some secret club with yak sluts............so long as they're not the gaysian tuna chasers I think I need to join this clique   :metal

^
THIS ^

And how come my name is not among the likes. I mean - Really?
And which way to the non-gaysian Tuna chaser sluts ?
And BMBs a dick, except when he is super cool for taking me Salmon fishing on his PB

Sorry Kirk,
I feel honored to be on the list 2x ....
Just goes to show ..
Life is Good in the Cove!
;0)
Hobie Outback (dune)

• Old school or no school.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
Nothing has dissuaded me from jumping into the sport. You guys have only fueled the fire! I'm still targeting later this year or early next for purchasing my yak. I'll buy a new yak, but thanks to the forum, I have researched many of the things that I think are the most important to me. I'll share those when I get closer to having the yak. Thanks again all!

I'm a little late to the party here, but I'll chime in that my first kayak experience was renting one (and fishing from it) at Chabot with my wife for my b-day 3 or 4 years ago. We've cycled through 9 boats in that time (fleet currently numbers 6), and I foresee doing this until by body tells me to knock it off. At that point, I'll probably keep going but grumbling about it.

If you can get to Chabot on a Wed, they do half price rentals. http://www.lakechabotrecreation.com/specials/ Works out to be around $40 for the day on Wednesdays with parking, fishing access fee, and kayak rental, and it tends to be a fun place for a low-intensity paddle.
14' Necky Dolphin, fast and wiggly, no room for anything.
Old Mitchell reel junkie.

NotaSeal

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
Lots of good opinions given and I would add that there is nothing more exhilarating than bobbing around the ocean in a Tupperware tub knowing there is a better than even chance a Great White Shark is sizing you up.  :smt044
"Look for it in yourself - it's there, and it has many forms.  "It" is a way to live that benefits you by doing your best to do the right thing by others." LoletaEric