Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:17:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:58:19 AM]

[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:10 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:35:28 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 07:44:11 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 09:28:20 PM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 07:39:42 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Technology  (Read 1686 times)

iochrominae

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
I don't use but it's not reflective of any deep philosophy, I just don't like cluttering up my boat and don't want to put in the time to fully get what I should be getting out of them. As it is I am perfectly happy to study maps and weather ahead of time, make a plan with a few contingencies, go out and execute, and then rethink most of my life's decisions things after I get blanked (also I can't afford both a fishfinder and my donations of crankbaits to things that swim into nearby brushpiles)

• View Profile
Fish finder in fresh water. Delta and ocean should have mapping +fishfinder combo. Fog on the water can be terrifying without some way of navigating...  On the big blue can be deadly.... :smt006

I agree, it’s easy to get turned around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• View Profile

• View Profile
I lost my fish finder pod on my Radar on the way to Albion last weekend. If it wasn't for the mobil ap i would have been completely blind. I actually found more fish with the just the ap than the other guys did with the sonars. I called them over to my spots where I would find fish using the mobil ap and then they would pinpoint a bit better. It 100% helps in the ocean and also on freshwater lakes too.

I left my Navionics chip in my computer after updating and fished the next morning two hours from home. I realized it when I turned my depth finder on. I used nothing but the app all day and had a good day.

• View Profile
Do you think technology (fish finders, gps, mapping software like Navionics, social media, better fishing equipment) has a positive or negative impact on fishing? Is it a must have or do you think it takes away from the purity of the experience?
I grew up trout fishing in little creeks in the valley outside of Bozeman, Montana.  It was a pretty pure experience, with no technology except a hook and a line.  In fact, I sometimes just tied my line to a willow stick.  There's a lot to be said for that kind of fishing.  It's fun.

But when fishing away from shore in lakes, and when fishing in the ocean, a fish finder with GPS and a mapping program is tremendously useful.  It tells you how much water you are over, and helps you locate structure and fish in that water.  It may not be as pure and simple as fishing without electronics, but it's also a lot of fun, and I have a lot of fish in my freezer.  For a lot of the kinds of fishing I do, if my fish finder crapped out, I'd probably quit fishing for the day and go home.

I agree, I still love grabbing a few lures and a light spinning rod to hunt for creek smallies around home. I also agree that electronics play a key roll in safety, and in the fun of catching dinner.

• View Profile
I don't use but it's not reflective of any deep philosophy, I just don't like cluttering up my boat and don't want to put in the time to fully get what I should be getting out of them. As it is I am perfectly happy to study maps and weather ahead of time, make a plan with a few contingencies, go out and execute, and then rethink most of my life's decisions things after I get blanked (also I can't afford both a fishfinder and my donations of crankbaits to things that swim into nearby brushpiles)

You might find the Navionics app to be handy. For 10 bucks, having the maps and weather at your finger tips is a good price. And for what it’s worth, you can pin the location on the app of the crankbait eating bush [emoji23]

• View Profile
FF+GPS, with good map overlay. HD color screen with good visibility in sunlight, Simple waypoint marking and retrieval, simple trackback function. I don't fish much so when I do I want the FF functions to be simple and easy to remember.

The functions have got to be easy when you’re on a kayak.

YakColumbo

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
I love the electronics on my kayak for previously stated reasons. Relying solely on a gps unit to help you navigate in the fog is foolhardy. If your battery runs out, or one of your connections goes bad then you are really lost in the fog. Don’t forget the low-tech! A compass that is mounted on board will not suffer from power problems, it always works. Paying attention to your direction of travel while paddling out will help get you closer to home on the way back. It’s not perfect,but it’s better than paddling out to sea.

anything