Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:05:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:07:13 PM]

[Today at 08:09:27 PM]

[Today at 07:50:07 PM]

[Today at 07:29:14 PM]

[Today at 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[Today at 06:21:18 PM]

[Today at 06:03:14 PM]

[Today at 06:03:07 PM]

[Today at 06:01:09 PM]

[Today at 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[Today at 05:23:24 PM]

[Today at 01:20:14 PM]

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Tragedy prevention for parents  (Read 2127 times)

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
Well said, SC, I concur with your watchful eye of your child and relate to the sneaking and hiding you performed in your youth, many of us did, thankfully to no great harm.

A child as described is basically defenseless tho, at that stage of development and age. It is the sole and specific responsibility of the parent, the adult, to care for and protect the child. That person is responsible, morally and legally regardless of accident or happenstance. To treat it or consider it in a flippant or offhand manner is unconscionable.
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

MotherLoad

I agree with most of what has been said on this thread. I don’t think too many people would say parenting requires anything less than constant vigilance. I think in retrospect, initiating this post was unnecessary in as much as I wonder if any good will come from the attention this thread has attracted. The point was not to invite commentary or criticism about the largely unknown circumstances around this case, the criminality of the act, or to provide our own evaluations of the parents fitness as care providers. We are all entitled to our opinions in many of these areas.

Commenting on the punishment that one feels is appropriate is ill timed as there have been few facts released to evaluate the case and dole out any judgement.

Describing your opinions on how unlikely this would be for you as a parent is equally pointless and heartless. I believe that all of you are fantastic parents, I certainly think I’m one too. The fact is that could change for any one of us at any second, god forbid. However harsh you think your judgements are, the party who feels the weight of the responsibility for this tragedy will judge themselves far harsher than any of us ever could.

I know this club is full of mostly very good, kind, generous people. I suppose it was you folks I was reaching out to as I looked for a way to process what has happened to people close to me. Personally, I find comfort in a search for any good in a bad situation. I do think it was naive to think that posting to a website was a good way to help with that processing, even if it’s a site that is supposedly a family.

I regret my part in allowing my anger and grief to manifest with ugly words. I hope if this post receives any more attention, it will be the type that represents what this club can be at its best, a support system and a close knit tribe of friends. There are positive things we can do to support people in our community in a time of crisis. I for one think most of you would do the same if this were to happen to a close friend of yours, a family member, a co-worker you care for.

-Evan
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 12:13:38 PM by Trutta »

oldfart

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
A very thoughtful and heartfelt post, Evan.  Your original post can bring out instant reactions and judgements that could come up in many of us.    I personally have been in situations where my abilities and awareness have been clouded by circumstances in my life, though never to the point of putting my children in grave danger.  I suppose it's just a matter of "but for the grace of God, therefore go I"

I agree with most of what has been said on this thread. I don’t think too many people would say parenting requires anything less than constant vigilance. I think in retrospect, initiating this post was unnecessary in as much as I wonder if any good will come from the attention this thread has attracted. The point was not to invite commentary or criticism about the largely unknown circumstances around this case, the criminality of the act, or to provide our own evaluations of the parents fitness as care providers. We are all entitled to our opinions in many of these areas.

Commenting on the punishment that one feels is appropriate is ill timed as there have been few facts released to evaluate the case and dole out any judgement.

Describing your opinions on how unlikely this would be for you as a parent is equally pointless and heartless. I believe that all of you are fantastic parents, I certainly think I’m one too. The fact is that could change for any one of us at any second, god forbid. However harsh you think your judgements are, the party who feels the weight of the responsibility for this tragedy will judge themselves far harsher than any of us ever could.

I know this club is full of mostly very good, kind, generous people. I suppose it was you folks I was reaching out to as I looked for a way to process what has happened to people close to me. Personally, I find comfort in a search for any good in a bad situation. I do think it was naive to think that posting to a website was a good way to help with that processing, even if it’s a site that is supposedly a family.

I regret my part in allowing my anger and grief to manifest with ugly words. I hope if this post receives any more attention, it will be the type that represents what this club can be at its best, a support system and a close knit tribe of friends. There are positive things we can do to support people in our community in a time of crisis. I for one think most of you would do the same if this were to happen to a close friend of yours, a family member, a co-worker you care for.

If I am wrong about this, or you feel that I am somehow excluded from the familial component of this club, please let me know. I can deactivate my account and seek out a new community to learn from and share experiences with.
-Evan
"Pedo Viejo" is what Antonio called me.

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
So sad, so un-fixable :smt010 Lives ended, wish time travel was a thing for this. Prayers for all involved. Just a sad, helpless, hopeless situation...  :smt051 Fly home little angel wrapped in love :smt010
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
Evan, somehow ....even though we have never met I think leaving. would be the groups loss
<snipped>

Agreed, and seconded.
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Evan, somehow ....even though we have never met I think leaving. would be the groups loss
<snipped>

Agreed, and seconded.

Me too.  :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
<snipped>

Agreed, and seconded.

Me too.  :smt001

+1.

Hang in there Evan...

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
Evan, like many others we've never met, but I think there is support and appreciation for your original post here in NCKA, unfortunately it lies mostly within the silent majority,

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Get a life man. You're reading too much. All I'm suggesting is we can help watch out for youngins get left in the car.

You're an a!!.

Maybe you should "read" what you wrote and consider its implied intent and impact. The name calling in both posts says way more.

Anyways you have issues. Using this topic as a forum to hate is pathetic. Can you hear me now?

Knock it off Jason.  That’s all I’m going to say here, other that condolensces to the parents.

-Allen

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Had a difficult time even trying to come up with appropriate title for this post. My hope is only to bring attention to an issue that sadly impacts an average of 37 families annually.

My community has suffered a tragedy. A 19 month old child was lost to a preventable accident.

The 19 month old young lady was left unattended for several hours in the backseat of a vehicle. Forgoing all discussions about gross negligence, empathy for this family, etc...

my post is to simply request that all parent who leave their children at daycare (as I do daily) establish a protocol with their daycare provider if one does not already exist. I have asked my provider to contact me within 30 minutes if Elise does not arrive for a scheduled care day.  This simple intervention could have prevented this devestating tradegy
I understood the reasoning for recommending/requiring that babies/infants be seated (and facing backwards) in the back seat. However, I have also worried about parents forgetting about them, in the rush to get to work, go shopping, whatever was on their minds.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Evan, it took guts to post this and I commend you.  Be well. 
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

MotherLoad

Thanks to all who have responded and sent PM. Positive thoughts and prayers for the little girl and family are sincerely appreciated. It is consoling to be able to read supportive thoughts and words, the more of these floating around the better in times like these.

I modified my last post to remove the part about deactivating my account, after a day passed, it struck me as dramatic and turned the focus to me rather than the people who need the positivity and prayer.

Thanks again to a community of tremendous people