Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:44:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:36:10 AM]

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: So that happened...  (Read 1585 times)

Live2Fish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
So that happened.... I fell, hit my head, and caught a ride to the ER right before Aoty ceremony was kicking off. 

It was a great day at the lake. Got otw about 8.  Caught a couple fish.  Back on land about 12.  Sun was shining. Spent some time catching up with friends.  Then enjoyed the killer potluck.  Life is good.

Afterwards I was standing there talking to friends. Started feeling lightheaded so I sat down. Then it washed over me so fast.  Everything just started going white and I felt so hot and dizzy, put my head in my hands....and that was it.   I woke up on my back, really confused. I was helped to a bench.  The ranger came over and started asking me questions....and then I lost consciousness again. I open my eyes and there’s  2 paramedics there that weren’t there before, vomit on my pants I don’t remember, my heads pounding and I’m pretty confused.

ER gave me fluids, looked me over, checked my vitals and let me go.   Not sure why I passed out. I guess I was pretty tired, only got a couple hours of sleep.  Didnt hydrate sufficiently.   I had three beers and hit off a joint.  Nothing crazy.

Well hitting my head gave me a minor concussion and a sore neck. The whole experience was really embarrassing. Gonna get checked out this week by the doc to make sure my dome’s ok.

To those of you that helped me.  Thank you so much.  Really glad someone was there.   And to everyone else I’m so sorry if you got freaked out.  Hope I didn’t bring any negativity on the group.

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Glad you are OK. The heat of the day was getting to me...can no longer perspire. However, hard choice between the heat of the day and the freezing cold at night there. See you at Gimme Shelter, if not sooner.

Chadrock

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Glad you are ok!
Hydrate hydrate hydrate. A similar thing happened to me 6 or 8 years ago during an AOTY award ceremony at Berryessa.
Fished in the sun all day. A few beers and a little bit of weed. I tried to keep it a secret from everyone all day, but I thought I was dying. Jumped in the lake at one point and then passed out under my truck. As soon as the sun went down I was ok. The heat freaks me out now.
And no more AOTY awards either. :smt044
If you want to thank a Vet, be a person worth fighting for.

1st place Red Barn Classic 2010

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2014
Hey man, I feel really terrible for not staying with you. I heard later you got a bit worse. I  had a few too many myself and really underestimated the situation.  I figured you came back to it after a drunk slip off the bench, and if there was anything else someone would have said something. Glad you’re doing better.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 08:21:56 PM by Wilderness medic »

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
No need to apologize or feel embarrased. We're just glad you turned out ok. Thanks for sharing, it's a good reminder to stay hydrated and get checked out if something feels off. It was a huge relief to see you looking good when you returned!
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
I didn’t see what originally happened but was told you were doing better. I happened to be right there when things got worse and you attempted to throw up on me.  You were out of it so probably not intentional.  You had two more seizures and were definitely in need of medical care at that point.  I felt bad that I didn’t personally know you or have any way of knowing if you had a kayak, gear or vehicle there nor did I know how to contact anyone on your behalf.  I am glad you are feeling better. 

-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

• Napa Fisherman
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I had a similar thing happen to me in the shower before. I felt lightheaded, tried to start to sit down and then suddenly everything went white and I passed out and hit my head.  This happened a few days after getting a concussion though

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Glad you're feeling better Ryan.  I had called the hospital after getting back to my trailer but they said you had left. The rest of the committee guys filled me in.  I saw you looking a bit out of it/dazed while they were announcing awards, turned around to watch the kids and you were on the ground.  Good thing the EMTs showed up even though you were feeling better the first time around, and the ranger was pretty cool about it all.

Ben

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Glad you are OK,  stuff happens. Glad I had the opportunity to help one of my brothers.  Stay strong and No more of Robs Killer mix  :smt044 Humboldt humbled  :smt005 :smt005 See ya at another event soon! :smt006
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

TW

• Sea Lion
  • daleshark
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
It did happen.  Scary sheet right there....
Glad you're ok. By the time I heard about it there were 5- 6 people already at your side.
With a quick response that everyone had to help you, you were in good hands until the medics arrived.
Glad you were able to make it back and receive your award and personal property.  Take care and definitely get checked out.

TW
NorCal HOW Volunteer

Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
Ocean Kayak T13

2015 Forbay  Fish N Chill Storm Trooper .
2017 Berry Slam Fish N Chill Storm Trooper.

Fish Master1

• If it bleeds I can kill it.
  • Manatee
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Glad your OK!!! :smt008.. That shit happens to me everytime I have to sit around and listen to Jim talk. :smt003
..........Sincerly A-Hull Muggle.

matanaska

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Lost Coast Kayak Fishing Adventures
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Glad your doing ok.  I have been in similar spot myself by not getting sleep and forgetting to hydrate and eat before drinking alcohol.

See you otw soon.
https://www.facebook.com/lostcoastkayakfishing

1st Place 2015 Trinidad Rockfish Wars V
1st Place 2014 CCKA AOTY
1st Place 2011 Trinidad Rockfish Wars I
2nd place 2012 Trinidad Rockfish Wars II
3rd Place Albion Open 2013
4th Place AOTY 2013
7th Place 2012 GS6
2013 Hobie Worlds USA Team member

2015 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #420 of 500

Clayman

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
I'm just glad it wasn't something worse!  It was good to see you back in action after you were re-hydrated.  Don't feel bad: I'm guilty of not drinking enough water and not sleeping enough the night before, and I'm sure you and I aren't the only ones.  Hopefully that spill you took didn't impart lasting damage.

Stay strong and No more of Robs Killer mix  :smt044
I told Rob that legends will be borne out of this incident. "Dude, did you hear about that guy who took one hit of Humboldt Jesus' weed and it sent him to the hospital?!"  They'll call it "Coma Weed", or "RIP Herb"  :smt044.
aMayesing Bros.

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Glad you're OK, man - scary shit right there!

We ain't gettin' any younger...
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
No need to apologize or feel embarrased. We're just glad you turned out ok. Thanks for sharing, it's a good reminder to stay hydrated and get checked out if something feels off. It was a huge relief to see you looking good when you returned!

X 100.

We are all just glad you are OK and that it wasn't any worse!!

Thanks again to the folks who stepped up to call for help and be there when they saw you go down.  :smt008

Take care Ryan and look forward to seeing you again next time!!

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

anything