Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:35:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Videos are cool  (Read 3296 times)

Der_Huntsman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017

Maybe something like this?  I never tried it, but if I upgrade my phone, I am thinking hard about using this one.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Propel-Paddle-Gear-Kayak-Universal-GPS-Phone-Mount/49398691

I actually have a nice hard plastic waterproof iPhone case, and that’s on a railblaza mount. The case even comes with a wide angle lens. I thought it would be great and would work as a GoPro replacement. But I gave up on that after one attempt. It does work well as a gps unit. But I can’t seem to make it work as a camera in that environment. And I use my phone as a camera all the time—just not on the kayak.
Fingers to wet to operate?

This is the phone I have https://www.verizonwireless.com/smartphones/kyocera-duraforce-pro/  It's nice because it is waterproof and as long as you have enough light, the image and sound quality is decent. I'm more into still photography than videography, but phones have some serious downsides you should consider.
     1. storage
     2. quality
     3. cost
     4. battery life

If I were you (and I'm not), I would get an older second hand GoPro. You probably don't need the latest and greatest and you can dick around with it to see if it is something you really think you want to invest in. Like DG said, you will be SAD if something happens to your storage. Invest in some cloud storage, it is relatively inexpensive and even if your house burnt down around you you could recover your footage.
Formerly known as "MF"

@Der_Huntsman

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016

Maybe something like this?  I never tried it, but if I upgrade my phone, I am thinking hard about using this one.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Propel-Paddle-Gear-Kayak-Universal-GPS-Phone-Mount/49398691

I actually have a nice hard plastic waterproof iPhone case, and that’s on a railblaza mount. The case even comes with a wide angle lens. I thought it would be great and would work as a GoPro replacement. But I gave up on that after one attempt. It does work well as a gps unit. But I can’t seem to make it work as a camera in that environment. And I use my phone as a camera all the time—just not on the kayak.
Fingers to wet to operate?

This is the phone I have https://www.verizonwireless.com/smartphones/kyocera-duraforce-pro/  It's nice because it is waterproof and as long as you have enough light, the image and sound quality is decent. I'm more into still photography than videography, but phones have some serious downsides you should consider.
     1. storage
     2. quality
     3. cost
     4. battery life

If I were you (and I'm not), I would get an older second hand GoPro. You probably don't need the latest and greatest and you can dick around with it to see if it is something you really think you want to invest in. Like DG said, you will be SAD if something happens to your storage. Invest in some cloud storage, it is relatively inexpensive and even if your house burnt down around you you could recover your footage.
Thank you for that.  Back up to da max...
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
...but phones have some serious downsides you should consider.
     1. storage
     2. quality
     3. cost
     4. battery life

This! And more... Just does not compare to GoPro, or even a cheap GoPro knockoff, IMHO (I’ve got a discontinued Garmin that I got for less than $100). I suspect phones will one day be good enough, but I don’t think they are a realistic kayak fishing video option just yet.

Btw, I’d be happy if someone proves me wrong!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 01:44:00 PM by NowhereMan »
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Going back to the phone, turns out the iPhone 8 is just as in depth a video cam as the go pro 6, I know.....enough of this and post a vid already....stay tuned... :smt006

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
Going back to the phone, turns out the iPhone 8 is just as in depth a video cam as the go pro 6, I know.....enough of this and post a vid already....stay tuned... :smt006
Still waiting
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

Der_Huntsman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017

Cheapest Iphone 8 I found in a 25 second not in depth search was $775. You want to risk getting $775 wet or sent to Davey Jones' Locker?
Formerly known as "MF"

@Der_Huntsman

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Cheapest Iphone 8 I found in a 25 second not in depth search was $775. You want to risk getting $775 wet or sent to Davey Jones' Locker?
I hear ya'.  We got a 2 for one deal recently.  These phones are pretty waterproof for longer and deeper than specs.  The Temdan case has a floating tether and is ultra waterproof.  Still gonna have it leashed and locked down pretty good.  Worst case insurance may cost 100 for new phone.

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I’d get 2 go pro knock offs and a video editing software, the kids laptop... doesn’t take much to make videos.  Just plenty of free time...to edit.
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Throwin' it up...much improvement needed...learned some stuff...this is from China Camp on March 19

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Thanks for the video Eddie.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

MotherLoad

looking forward to more Eddie, fun watch

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
Very funny! That's Eddie!!!

anything