Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:26:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: MBK Monterey Bay Kayaks 3rd Annual Fishing Derby 8/15 UPDATED!!!!  (Read 20956 times)

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
If anybody is willing to donate some fish to the annual CRSA BBQ Fundraiser (Carmel River Steelhead Assoc), please see me after the event. I will be taking fish donations. And it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
S.C.,
You are welcome to any fish I can manage to bring in although I don't expect it to be much  :smt044
Great cause and I'm sure you will get a few donations.
Eric
Hobie Outback (dune)

Bkayaking

• Salmon
  • "This is my passion..."
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Sin Coast..., count me in, "donation" wise, but don't forget about the "in possession" reg., or does it not apply when doing a benefit? I try to learn something new everyday! See you there...

B.
Blake
Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Co.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
but don't forget about the "in possession" reg., or does it not apply when doing a benefit? I try to learn something new everyday!

Valid question. I can't have more than 10 RF + 2 lings in my possession. But my wife, son, and friend will be there after the tourney and you can gift the fish to them....and I'll make sure they get to the CRSA walk-in freezer. Sorry for the minor thread-jack, but they're a great org and their Annual Wild Game BBQ Fundraiser is legendary (tons of game from quail to venison to boar and plenty of "regular" grub like homemade sausage, burgers, steaks, etc too). I'll post the info for their Fundraiser when that info becomes available--but it's usually in late Sept/early October in Carmel Valley.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Bkayaking

• Salmon
  • "This is my passion..."
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Hey Sin Coast... You know me, just looking out for ya... How cool to fish w/family!!! My 18 yr. old made the 1st & 2nd years, but NOW he claims, "I've got too much going on, Dad". Yah, probably a blond... Looking forward to seeing you and my fish are your fish!

B.
Blake
Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Co.

Fish Master1

• If it bleeds I can kill it.
  • Manatee
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Hey Pat I will donate to the fundraiser! Looking foreward to hanging with all my buds! This one should be A hoot....
..........Sincerly A-Hull Muggle.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
can we do a bon fire / bbq on the beach later in the evening????

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Mooch:

I dson't know what the rules are for bonfires on that beach..... But I never see remains, at least in front of MBK.

I will be heading for Santa Cruz to prep for Davenport on sunday, get some Z's and an early start.

Allen

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
can we do a bon fire / bbq on the beach later in the evening????

Pretty sure all fires must be contained to fire rings.

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
So,
Where will everybody be on Saturday night?
I have had trouble trying to find a place - any suggestion's welcome.
I will have my vehicle and small trailer and poss. have a friend with R.V. if needed.
Please help a brother out with ideas
Hobie Outback (dune)

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
OK guys........and gals...........

this may be my last post prior to the Derby.  If anyone has last-minute questions, please PM me, so the Q's don't get lost in this long thread.

*Good news and bad news.  Bad is the Concours is scheduled for this weekend, half the MBK parking lot (owned by the City) is already cordoned off, just like last year.  Good news is the cops are lax on Concours weekend, so vehicle sleeping in that parking lot is likely to go unchallenged.  (DISCLAIMER:  Neither I nor MBK takes any responsibility if you go to sleep in that lot and get hassled or have to move.  You are on your own.  I slept there last year with no problem, but will stay at home this year in order to make room for someone else, I don't have that long a drive)  If the lot is full, you can show up in the early am, dump your gear, and park off-site, lots of free parking on nearby streets, and it's a safe area.

*Sign-ups are OK on the morning of the Derby.  Everyone has to sign a waiver on the morning of the derby.

**30 people pre-registered at this time....If you want a clean start on Staurdauy with no delays, my suggestion is pre-register now, call MBK 800-649-5357

***Fishing has been decent in the area this year, better than last year.  Everything is happening early this year in Monterey Bay, so don't be surprised if we find a lot of lings.

****For those unfamiliar with the area, best bet is to target kelp beds.  Paddle straight out and turn right to parallel the long kelp bed that heads NE.  Fishing outside that kelp to 80-90 feet you can also find pockets of RF.  OR, paddle over towards Cannery Row, fish the kelp and outside the kelp there for similar results...be careful there is a reserve right at MB Aquarium, it is marked with little white buoys.  Get the gps #'s from DFG website.  If you are not sure, then don't fish there.  Also if this is a new area for you, try to network with another angler who may be familiar with the area, tag along with them to find the right spot.  Last year fishing was slow (Unless you were Patrick Kuhl) Derby was taken with a 3-pound red rockfish.  Year before it was a halibut caught just outside the moorings right in front of MBK.  There is a lot af bait in the area, I would fish with Live Bait if at all possible.  Fish also like shrimp flies, mega baits, and swim bait in that area.  Whole squids on a trap rig always work for me at MBK.  Hairraisers trolled works like a charm for the schoolie rockfish, and I had a great run of Calico Bass 2 yrs ago with the hairraiser, over by the coast guard jetty.

Good luck to everyone I will see you Saturday morning bright and early (or at least early). Many thanks to Aaron, Tara, Cass, holaki and everyone else at MBK for sponsoring this Derby again, not to mention OCEAN KAYAKS, who once again provided a NEW -13 as 1st prize!

A few pics from last year

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Fish Master1

• If it bleeds I can kill it.
  • Manatee
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
I scoped out the area yesterday to find thousands and thousands of jellies close to shore and the pier, I saw no bait or diving birds along at least three miles of the beach! Good luck everyone, and may the best ( Or Luckiest)  win!!!!!
..........Sincerly A-Hull Muggle.

e2g

• Sea Lion
  • 53 lb seabass
  • View Profile
man, where I am going to put another yak :smt044  OK dont answer that :smt003

I recommend a long troll pulling a big marlin plug at about 5 knots.  Troll straight towards Santa Cruz.  Turn around when 75% of the total time has elapsed. :smt003
Winner 2011 MBK Derby
Winner 2009 Fishermans Warehouse Santa Cruz Tournament
Winner 2008 MBK Derby

stoggie

• Salmon
  • Team Mooch Patrol
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2008
I just signed up today.

See ya all there.

Stoggie

daviator

• Sea Lion
  • tsui li baca = crazy about fishing
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
hey..

no one responded to the earlier question posted by yakhopper re: camping.

anyone attending the 2 events planning on doing a group campsite?
I am having wife and kids meet me down there after weigh in / lunch so hoping to find camp site later that afternoon. I don't think wife will be up for parking lot camping.

tried Butano and Henry Cowell up near Santa Cruz but they are full.

any suggestions?

thanks,
dave