Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:14:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Whats New About the 2018 Mirage Drive 180  (Read 2833 times)

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

TFM

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
So I went to get a set of Turbo fins for my new (never used) 180 drive, and was told that because of the new version 2, it would be hard to find the turbo's.
I sent a message to Hobie customer support asking for guidance on aquiring turbo fins and this was their response:

"Hello Eric,

This isn’t an issue. Your drive should work just fine. We did make a running change to our drives and we are currently fulfilling production and when the kits are available you will be able to purchase a V2 turbo fin kit through your local dealer. Hope this info helps.

Have a Hobie day!"

So after Paddling with a few different brands for the last 15 years, I can honestly say that I'm not happy with Hobie at this time. This is the most I've spent on a kayak EVER, and when I ask to purchase a highly recommended accessory, I'm told I'll have to just wait. No time frame was offered, no discount for their faulty design, NOTHING ... Just wait till we decide, then give us more money for our overpriced product ..... That may or may not work better! 

OK,
Rant over, I'll climb down off my soap box.
Thank goodness I still have my other yaks that never let me down.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Hobie Outback (dune)

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I had gut feeling all along this first generation 180 drive will have issues.

Scurvy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
So let us get this straight:  1) You were the happy winner of a fully functional $800 Mirage Drive at a raffle, 2) you then chose to go on and got a good deal & great service on the matching Outback kayak that can now be combined into one of the best fishing kayaks obtainable, and can take it out fishing right now. Right? 3) You feel you are somehow being wronged by normal product improvement processes that have somehow rendered your otherwise brand new nearly unused Outback as useless enough to you that you're going to go paddle one of your other Jurassic epoch boats instead, right?

Really???  I can't even tell you how happy I would be to have won that drive for my Revolution-16.

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
So let us get this straight:  1) You were the happy winner of a fully functional $800 Mirage Drive at a raffle, 2) you then chose to go on and got a good deal & great service on the matching Outback kayak that can now be combined into one of the best fishing kayaks obtainable, and can take it out fishing right now. Right? 3) You feel you are somehow being wronged by normal product improvement processes that have somehow rendered your otherwise brand new nearly unused Outback as useless enough to you that you're going to go paddle one of your other Jurassic epoch boats instead, right?

Really???  I can't even tell you how happy I would be to have won that drive for my Revolution-16.

You are correct, I did win the Drive ( after a substantial donation to a worthy cause ). 
You are also correct in the fact that I was able to purchase a "Drive-less" yak at a reduced price. ( after driving 300 miles ... twice, I saved a couple hundred )
The dealer who donated the drive was awesome and I was more than happy to support them.
My issue is not with the yak or the team that sold it.
my issue is with this "defect" that the manufacturer openly knows about and the manufacturer taking the stance that we will keep quiet until the part breaks then hope it is out of warranty rather than fixing a known problem before it becomes a problem.
If you find the Hobie service notice, it states that there is a known problem. It appears that if you bend the mast on a fin (I'm told this easily happens often) the fin will be difficult or even impossible to remove. The proper fix would be to disassemble the drive and replace a couple major parts as well as the fins and masts.
Now add that to the fact that I am over 100 mile from the nearest dealer, and will be using it exclusively offshore, it gets me a little upset that the manufacturer has the attitude that I should just use it and wait to buy the replacement ....... and associated parts to make their defect work.
And for the record,
the list price for the kayak is $2499.99
I have over that happily invested in this yak to support a store who supports NCKA. 
Also,
NONE of the other hundreds of manufacturers that I have done business with in the kayak and fishing business ever told me to WAIT to BUY PARTS so I can fix something they know they had a flaw on.

Hobie Outback (dune)

VK

I`d go with Eric on this..he`s probably got more time on the toilet than most folks have dealing  with anything that  involves the fishing industry..  :smt044

wormguy

• The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2012
I`d go with Eric on this..he`s probably got more time on the toilet than most folks have dealing  with anything that  involves the fishing industry..  :smt044
+1
Native Slayer Propel 13
Hobie Revolution 11

BrooklynTech

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2014
Does anyone know when the updated drives will ship with new kayaks?

I've been saving for a PA 14 and would like to wait till new drive is out.

Thanks.

Bill

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
No ship date as of yet,
Hobie just says the V-1 works and if they break, the new parts (or V-2) will be available soon.
:0( 
Hobie Outback (dune)

iroelikethat

• Fish! It's whats for dinner!
  • Sea Lion
  • 42 in the left 38 in the right-Feather River
  • View Profile JeffE's Myspace Page
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
Busted
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. -Chinese proverb
South Bay Safety Squad - TEAM CAPTAIN  Screen name generator and General Instigator from Decatur

FKV-1 2005 Liquid Logic Manta Ray (Decommissioned)
FKV-2 2010 Hobie Outback (Decommissioned)
FKV-3 2014 Jackson Cuda (In-service)
FKV-4 2017 Hobie Outback (Inaugural Pacific Mission/ Christening - Albion- Aug 10th 2017)

• Fishing is the perpetual series occasion of hope.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Live today for tomorrow's sake.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.

Lost_Anchovy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile The Lost Anchovy
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
I agree with you Eric, but Hobie is known to take care of their products and has good service so let see if they come around and  do what's right, since it is a known manufacture problem. Yeah it wouldn't sit right with me if I dropped over 2k on a kayak and the manufacturer told me to buy my own parts for a defect was on them.

They offered free parts on the seat connectors when people were losing their seats to a faulty safely latch abiet it was cheaper.I'm sure if the community speaks out they will take care of us.(I hope). If you get parts in the bay let me know and I can ncka express it up when I come to your event.
www.Thelostanchovy.com
Kayak Adventures, blog and tutorials

Winner - 2014 Kayak Connection Derby
2nd -2103 MBK Tournament

Ring King

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2013
Maybe I'm not understanding your original "issue" with the drive?  Does your drive function properly now as is?

I have two of the original 180 Mirage Drives and have put an untold number of hours on both of them both in fresh water and salt water.  I haven't had a problem with either drive yet.  Maybe I'm just lucky but if there isn't currently a problem with your drive then I'd say you should be good to go for now. 

My understanding was that Hobie would replace the parts free of charge if you have a breakage of the shifting cables or if there is an issue with the fins as both of those are the "known issues".  I'm betting that if you had a failure then you'd be sent parts right away under the terms of the warranty. 

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I'd had pretty good luck with Hobie warranty in the past.  My last warranty claim was with the Vantage Seat fabric that ripped.  I contacted my local dealer who I did the purchase from.  I described the problem over the phone and emailed them a picture.  The dealer ordered the part and was shipped to me at no charge.  It did take a few weeks to get the part but it was not the dealers fault.