Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:56:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Proper hook size for stripers and halibut  (Read 2019 times)

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
I want to start off by thanking everyone for the tips you gave me on rainbow trout! I’ve caught quite a few and I’m pretty happy with it. I’ve been wanting to try more saltwater fishing but I’m finding conflicting results on what hook size to use. I’ve been told that there’s no standardization for hook sizes that makes it even more confusing.

What hook size (and brand) do you use for stripers, halibut, and the catfish that will be stocked in East Bay lakes?

Tinker

It's true that there are no industry standards for hook sizes, but a #2 hook made by X is not going to be significantly different from a #2 made by Z.  You might be able to see a slight difference, but it won't be a full hook size difference if you're looking at name-brand hooks, like Mustad, Gamakatsu, Eagle Claw, Owner, etc.  Don't know what you'll find on auction sites or in some of the Chinese hooks on Amazon.

I always use smaller hooks than almost everyone else, so I'll let others recommend hook sizes for the species you listed.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
My understanding is hook size is based on bait size, however you wish to interpret that.  One grass shrimp will fit perfectly on a 1, then there's the shape, I like kahle shaped, if I've got plenty of shrimp I will load 3 grass shrimp on a 4/0 k - hook, I use a 1/0 lite mutual circle hook for live anchovy so they stay alive, for a larger smelt I would use a 3 or 4 hook because they are a heartier bait, maybe with a stinger...I've seen Hali come in a a tiny trout treble hook, with a good knot of course, hopefully not causing you to over think this.  I sure have :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
2/0-3/0 circle hook, doesn’t gut hook the fish. Stripers are tasty fish.
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
It depends on the mouth of specie you want to catch,  small mouth like Trout = small hook, Srtiper has BIG mouth so you can use bigger hook.  Also the type of bait you use can dictate the hook size (live minnow = small live bait hook).
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Kayakfish7

• Salmon
  • Rain or shine fish on
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2017
Most baits do a 4/0 swimbait syltyle wide gap hook and trebblr hook use size 1/0 for everything and big baits like top water do a size 2/0
Ocean Kayak Trident 13 follow me @kayakfish7

• View Profile
Hmmm, okay that makes sense. I've been looking at Gamakatsu baitholder and octopus hooks and can't really decide. I know that circle hooks are not meant to be used for hooks sets but is that the same for octopus hooks? I'm generally going to be using squid or frozen anchovies.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I don't know why I ended up in the owner preference but gamakatsu is quite famous

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I don't know why I ended up in the owner preference but gamakatsu is quite famous
I love owners and gamakatsu even matzuno are good.  Circle hooks are pretty good for bullheads and mudsuclers even grass shrimp. But if u need to load up on bait like pile worms or blood kinda want more of a hook.
2014 Hobie Revo 13

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I love owners and gamakatsu even matzuno are good.  Circle hooks are pretty good for bullheads and mudsuclers even grass shrimp. But if u need to load up on bait like pile worms or blood kinda want more of a hook.
Strange how I do not feel ultra confident with a circle hook.  No need to set?  The fish hooks itself?  Nothing like a little help with the bite but not too hard, just a lil' somethin'...no swingin' for fences, just a hook reckoning. 

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
O yeah, by the way...I live at this site...can"t get enough ncka... :smt005 :smt006

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

• View Profile
@Eddie I've noticed haha. You're everywhere on this website!

@SlackedTide Yeah it's taken me awhile to learn that quality over quantity matters for fishing.

Are Octopus hooks like circle hooks in that you're not supposed to set them? I prefer to set my hooks so I'm debating octopus hooks and baitholder hooks from Gamakatsu

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

@SlackedTide Yeah it's taken me awhile to learn that quality over quantity matters for fishing.

Are Octopus hooks like circle hooks in that you're not supposed to set them? I prefer to set my hooks so I'm debating octopus hooks and baitholder hooks from Gamakatsu
Actually I like those big river hooks from owner.  A buddy introduced me to them and it reminds me of an octopus with a tweeked design..

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Actually I like those big river hooks from owner.  A buddy introduced me to them and it reminds me of an octopus with a tweeked design..
you’re oversized sturgeon fishing is over for the year lol that’s pretty good u tagged out in like 3 months start of the year. Kinda like a hat trick in fishing , most people go all year with out even one.
2014 Hobie Revo 13

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

you’re oversized sturgeon fishing is over for the year lol that’s pretty good u tagged out in like 3 months start of the year. Kinda like a hat trick in fishing , most people go all year with out even one.
Those hooks will work for everything except small live bait, they're a lil thick...

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

anything