Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:52:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 10:04:01 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: I finally found one  (Read 4796 times)

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
I have been looking for a long while for another SOT just like the one I bought new in 1974. A Malotte Scout 2. All fiberglass, 2 hatches, flotation that is bulkheaded under the seating area. around 65 pounds I think.When I first bought one of these the price was 350 and it included a paddle and an anchor line. We dove off of these for years until I got this bright idea to bring my rod and fish. The first place we used to fish was at Stillwater cove in sonoma county. Big vermillion and lings. This was 1979 and 1980.  I found this SOT on craigslist in Monterey and was lucky enough to find out the owner was going to Van Damme on Monday and he stopped in Petaluma to let me buy this old girl for 80 bucks. I need to paint the bottom with some Imron and repaint the bonding strip and hatches. Put some clips and eyes and rod holders and this sic puppy will be my new retro ride. I cant believe its been 35 years since I first owned one of these. So in Albion look for the ravensblackretroride. I should have it done by then. Anybody else have some old glass rides they will bring to Albion.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 09:48:54 PM by ravensblack »
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
Nice....I love a good project boat!
-Eric Berg

INSANEDUANE

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Anybody else have some old glass rides they will bring to Albion. Show these whippersnappers how we used to do it. :smt044
my dad used buckskin rubbers and washed his ass with DDT that don't mean we need to do that now  :smt005
3RD annual 2007 halfmoon bay kayaks derby winner

fish or die you dirty dogs

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
That yak is perfect for fishing & diving.  Sweet deal!
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

INSANEDUANE

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Obviously he did. How else could you explain yourself. :smt006 The whippersnapper was just a joke. Sorry you found it so offensive.
not offended in the least at 40 I like to think I'm still a whippersnapper but something tells me I am not :smt010
3RD annual 2007 halfmoon bay kayaks derby winner

fish or die you dirty dogs

otobepelagic

• o2b
  • Sea Lion
  • 1st, 2nd, and 3rd
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Cool Ride Craig, Coincidentally, I was out on my retro ride today. A Vitog/Nomad....1980 or around there.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 10:26:34 AM by otobepelagic »
NCKA Angler of the Year 2010 1st Place, 2009 2nd Place, 2008 3rd Place          

Living the dream before I can only dream of it.......

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
Allen that boat is way cool. Are you going to bring it to Albion? Is the area under the seat foam filled and bulkheaded? Never sink, ever.

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
Nice project/retro boat, Craig! You must be in the auto finishing  industry - 'cause I don't think a civilian can get Imron, can they?
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

kayakjack

• Sea Lion
  • kayakjack
  • View Profile
do you actually sit in those or do you have to kneel ?

otobepelagic

• o2b
  • Sea Lion
  • 1st, 2nd, and 3rd
  • View Profile
Allen that boat is way cool. Are you going to bring it to Albion? Is the area under the seat foam filled and bulkheaded? Never sink, ever.

Craig, The center bulkhead is filled with magic air that has protected me on  a nasty strainer on the Russian,  rollovers and believe it or not a perfect endo once during a treacherous beach landing.

I have two matching boards that have traveled from the tip of Baja to the Oregon border.  The Vitog weighs in at about 44 lbs pounds, maybe a bit more now with years of Marine Tex added as needed. We used to stuff them with two tanks, tons of dive equip., fishing rods, speargun, weight belt, and sometimes limits of abs/fish. We used  portable fish finders with suction cup transducers to  locate pinnacles offshore within or free dive range.....Oh, the good old days.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 08:05:32 AM by otobepelagic »
NCKA Angler of the Year 2010 1st Place, 2009 2nd Place, 2008 3rd Place          

Living the dream before I can only dream of it.......

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
do you actually sit in those or do you have to kneel ?

Jack, you sit on tip. That well you can see in the pic is for your ass(or mine) and my feet rest up against the forward hatch. Lets go diving one of these days and you can paddle it. As I remember they are real fast and super stable. I can also remember standing on it and doing some acrobatic water landings while standing.

All aotomotive paints are intended for professional use only but if you go to a paint store and try to buy Imron I don't think they will send you away emptyhanded. :smt003

DaveW

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2006
Craig,  I've got one of those in my collection.  Those boats carry a ton of gear and they're stable as hell, but as soon as you start paddling it (especially if there's chop) you'll see how far SOT design has come.  They don't paddle nearly as well as modern SOTs, especially in wind and chop.

Those Malotte guys were not really watermen, they were glassers in Sacramento.  The Scout model was not really a kayak, just a fat surf board.  The other thing that I need to do to mine is rig it for a back rest and foot pegs.  There's something about the seat curve that hurts if you're paddling for a while.

On the other hand, when diving off the thing it's a dream.  There's no way you can flip it over.  I still use mine, and BTW I still use the Malotte lay down paddler you gave me - thanks again!

Also: don't lose the hatch covers, cause you have to make your own to replace them.

What is Imron?

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
Imron is a real durable automotive finish. Very chip resistant and tough. I had my malotte board for almost ten yeras and dove like crazy. I would paddle north and the inevitable north wind would blow me back home when I put the front hatch cover in the up position. I also got an extra hatch cover to make a mold off of. I got blown off that board in 79 by a sleeper wave. About 8 ft of whitewater took me one way and the board 25ft away. I still can't believe I got away with that one. It never hit the rocks and I retrieved it with no problem. Bailed it out and went diving. Dave , bring your Malotte to the Albion trip.

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
Back when I was in to power boats we used DuPont's Imron for all our finish paint work - great gloss, durable, and darn near bullet proof....Some of the suppliers did not want to sell to us unless we could verify we had a spray booth with ventilation AND filtration. Imron rocks.
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Those look cool but my back aches just thinking about sitting in one and paddling.
<=>