Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:26:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: tomales White Sea Bass  (Read 1978 times)

Crotalus

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
this is for those of you who have caught WSB in Tomales. What are the conditions that bring them into the bay? how often do they come in? I dont know much about them but really want to go after them this summer. Was just reading the article on the home page and am getting all fired up.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
this is for those of you who have caught WSB in Tomales. What are the conditions that bring them into the bay? how often do they come in? I dont know much about them but really want to go after them this summer. Was just reading the article on the home page and am getting all fired up.
Ask myyak8me :smt005  His first fish ever on his kayak was a 50lber out of tomales.  Correct me if I'm wrong.
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I was about to say really it's not even spring yet...... thought this was a report.... I was like Damnn.......!!!!! Lol
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

Azkikr

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Same here. I was just thinking about WSB

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
Ask myyak8me :smt005  His first fish ever on his kayak was a 50lber out of tomales.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yep, saw him at the boat ramp on my way out. I remember it well as it was the maiden voyage of my first Carribean 14.

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
All the reports I ever hear of WSB in Tomales are from halibut fishermen who chance upon one. Targeting them would probably result in a summer of skunks, in my opinion. So aim for flatties, and hope for the best.
May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
I guess, sometimes, they show up in enough numbers to be poachable, (is that even a word?)

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Fishing-charges-against-restaurateur-3212189.php

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
All the reports I ever hear of WSB in Tomales are from halibut fishermen who chance upon one. Targeting them would probably result in a summer of skunks, in my opinion. So aim for flatties, and hope for the best.
That's how...a by catch trophy.

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

myyak8me

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
I was halibut fishing.  I didn’t know what a sea bass was!  I was in about 40 ft of water just south and west of hog island.  No fish finder yet so depth was estimate based on chart. Tide had barely turned to incoming. No bait tank on kayak and my Frabil bait bucket was too small for the jacksmelt - so my live bait was very lethargic- barely kicking.   I read later that WSB prefer lethargic live bait. Maybe someone else can verify that.  The take down was dramatic and the run epic to say the least.  I chased it and stayed over it with constant pressure.  I was clueless what could be this big and then I thought it had to be a shark. Can’t remember the time but finally the fish came up and turned on it’s side.  I looked at my net then looked at the fish and just sat there for a minute.  I had bought a game clip in Petaluma that morning and grabbed it to hook up the fish.  It was an amazing experience.  Capt Sloppywood actually ID’d the fish as he and a buddy were heading out. I had no idea what the he’ll it was. And I know I was lucky. My advice is get on the water and amazing stuff will happen.  Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

myyak8me

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
I guess, sometimes, they show up in enough numbers to be poachable, (is that even a word?)

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Fishing-charges-against-restaurateur-3212189.php
Eight counts and all misdemeanors for that kind of flagrant poaching? Unbelievable. 

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
Capt Sloppywood actually ID’d the fish as he and a buddy were heading out.

I was fishing with Amos / SuperVato and i believe he IDd the fish for you and i was paddling around playing in my new boat like a little kid. Lol

Crotalus

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
thats awesome! So nobody hears about a potential bite and goes out fly lining squid? Halibut are my main target but the thought of catching a big WSB has my attention.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
thats awesome! So nobody hears about a potential bite and goes out fly lining squid? Halibut are my main target but the thought of catching a big WSB has my attention.
Yes they do, and it was conquered by str8fishin in Monterey, a squid spawn in Tomales Bay seems non existent.  Correct me if I'm wrong...

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

JamesM

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2016
I was halibut fishing.  I didn’t know what a sea bass was!  I was in about 40 ft of water just south and west of hog island.  No fish finder yet so depth was estimate based on chart. Tide had barely turned to incoming. No bait tank on kayak and my Frabil bait bucket was too small for the jacksmelt - so my live bait was very lethargic- barely kicking.   I read later that WSB prefer lethargic live bait. Maybe someone else can verify that.  The take down was dramatic and the run epic to say the least.  I chased it and stayed over it with constant pressure.  I was clueless what could be this big and then I thought it had to be a shark. Can’t remember the time but finally the fish came up and turned on it’s side.  I looked at my net then looked at the fish and just sat there for a minute.  I had bought a game clip in Petaluma that morning and grabbed it to hook up the fish.  It was an amazing experience.  Capt Sloppywood actually ID’d the fish as he and a buddy were heading out. I had no idea what the he’ll it was. And I know I was lucky. My advice is get on the water and amazing stuff will happen.  Good luck.

WOW! Amazing!
2020 Hobie Outback (sold)
2018 Hobie Oasis (sold)
2017 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie AI
2016 Hobie Outfitter (sold)
2014 Hobie AI (sold)

anything