Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:15:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:15:52 AM]

[Today at 04:04:00 AM]

[Today at 02:42:27 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 08:39:39 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:50:41 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: old wood gun remodeling project  (Read 6707 times)

fishshim

• Sea Lion
  • thanks for the pic PAL!
  • View Profile Mark Shimizu Design-Jewelry
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
John,
 Could you hook me up with the carbon fiber connection you used?I've been looking for a source who has the right sizes and wall thicknesses.I want to rebarrel a omer,also I've been building fishing rods with CF handles.
                                 Thanks,  Mark     

JohnGuineaPig

• Sea Lion
  • ling cod will eat ling cod which will eat ling cod
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2005
John,
 Could you hook me up with the carbon fiber connection you used?I've been looking for a source who has the right sizes and wall thicknesses.I want to rebarrel a omer,also I've been building fishing rods with CF handles.
                                 Thanks,  Mark     

Wow to re-barrel an omer with CF would be nice, also add a JBL tru glide track epoxied to it and you'll have yourself a railgun!

you can get the JBL rail from Hanapa'a in Hawaii, i just got mine today and it was about 16.00 shipped.

Mark, the guy's name is Justin and he is down in San Diego, super responsive to questions quick shipping and everything:

Send him an email at:
   schockvwgti@yahoo.com

That is how I get a hold of him as well.

Enjoy!

John

JohnGuineaPig

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
i put the channel in the delrin muzzle today. i need a better file.

JohnGuineaPig

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
more stuff, poor man's breakaway bungee w/ 9/16th band.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 06:16:14 AM by JohnGuineaPig »

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
So it breaks away from the safety?  I think I'm missing something on that last post.

I've been thinking that a stack of neodynium magnets could make a great breakaway rig.  Guranteed separation at 10-20lbs force - tuneable with the number of magnets in the stack.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 12:58:04 PM by promethean_spark »
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

fishshim

• Sea Lion
  • thanks for the pic PAL!
  • View Profile Mark Shimizu Design-Jewelry
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
Prome,
 I believe the breakaway is for a float rig.When you shoot a big fish the shooting line and a float is clipped to the breakaway which pulls out of the gun.You have the gun,the fish is towing a float.The rubber pulls out of the hole in the stock.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 12:54:41 PM by fishshim »

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Yup, I know.  I do that myself (for halibut) but when I do I have a bungie between the line and the line release as in this photo:   The above shows a band going to the safety (the line release is on the other side of the gun if it's like my JBL.

JohnGuineaPig

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
So it breaks away from the safety?  I think I'm missing something on that last post.

I've been thinking that a stack of neodynium magnets could make a great breakaway rig.  Guranteed separation at 10-20lbs force - tuneable with the number of magnets in the stack.

sorry, i just clipped it on the safety to show how it would be positioned when attached to the shooting line. i will probably use the reel for this gun though.

the safety will be removed completely from the handle as well since the spring has broken and it falls down by itself.

for the euroguns i have i usually just tied the butt of the gun to a floatline and let go of it when i shot halibut. the gun would trail behind and i would just follow the float line to the fish. they dont seem to go too far with the shaft and gun in tow. sure is fun to watch though.

the breakaway i made is like the riffe one but i think the single bungee line to the shooting line with a floatline attached to the shooting line is a great simple way of rigging it. i like it a lot. i think its doable for the guns with a strong line release but not so much for guns with weaker releases since the pull of floatline and float trailing behind could cause tension on it. in that case i would use the riffe style breakaway.

i'll have to see how this gun comes together. if i cant drill it right and get it to shoot straight its going to be worthless: )

i think i will go down the street by seasniper next week and see if chris would help me do this right. i should have barrel assembled with track by the weekend. i just hate the drilling part. i need to go to someone who knows wood.

john

john

JohnGuineaPig

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Yup, I know.  I do that myself (for halibut) but when I do I have a bungie between the line and the line release as in this photo:   The above shows a band going to the safety (the line release is on the other side of the gun if it's like my JBL.

nice gun, is that a gun by local steve veros?

john

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
That's not my gun, it's an example someone on spearboard posted which I used to do my own breakaway on my sawed off magnum.  My omer has one of those weak lineholders that you mention so I can't do it that way with that gun.  It does have a little friction clip that could probably hold. 

Usually I like to lay my gun on the bottom so I don't have to lug it down and up, so  like a hard line attachment so it can't bump something, fire, and the gun float away while I'm breathing up.  Still, hope for big fish springs eternal on the sand and in big sur, so I rig it that way occasionally.

I read up on 'riffe breakaway' and found the method you're using.  Appearantly just the friction of the band in the hole provides the breakaway aspect? 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 05:30:31 PM by promethean_spark »

JohnGuineaPig

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
That's not my gun, it's an example someone on spearboard posted which I used to do my own breakaway on my sawed off magnum.  My omer has one of those weak lineholders that you mention so I can't do it that way with that gun.  It does have a little friction clip that could probably hold. 

Usually I like to lay my gun on the bottom so I don't have to lug it down and up, so  like a hard line attachment so it can't bump something, fire, and the gun float away while I'm breathing up.  Still, hope for big fish springs eternal on the sand and in big sur, so I rig it that way occasionally.

you know another alternative would be to use a stainless eye bolt with wood threads screwed in and epoxied into the plastic in a part of the handle that is not obstructive. then you can use a 9/16 bungee to hold in a breakaway rig. that way you can have a riffe type of breakaway on your gun and it would not strain as mush as one that relies soley on the line drop hook thingy.

i was going to go that route with my sporasub gun but never got around to it.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 05:12:01 PM by JohnGuineaPig »

JohnGuineaPig

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
fiddling with carbon fiber today. i epoxied a section of the jbl track on the carbon fiber tube today. the carbon fiber tube is super light and stiff which is nice but the gun wont be relying on this for barrel strength. this will be the sheath that is epoxied over the titanium barrel of the gun. this is more just to give the jbl tru glide track something solid to be glued to and to give the old gun a more modern look. i so bad at fiddling with small scale stuff so it took me a while to glue this on. i only have 5 minute epoxy so i was kind of rushed. then i used my nasty fingers and dabbed new mixed epoxy all around the edge to fill the voids a bit. came out pretty smooth and i learned today that epoxy that is setting gets pretty warm. cool eh? if you like the salt and pepper shakers you can get a pair at OSH: )

in the last photo the gun is layed out to the appx length and the wood will be cut down another 4 inches or so. this was just to check to see if i had my measurements right to accomodate the shafts i got in the mail. kind of weird, building the gun around the shaft and not the other way around: )
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 07:45:32 AM by JohnGuineaPig »

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Nice!  That's going to look like a high-tek mini-wong when you're done.

JohnGuineaPig

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Nice!  That's going to look like a high-tek mini-wong when you're done.

it'll be a poor man's wong gun: ) i have to make some side supports for the area where the Ti tube will be epoxied in the mahogany wood about 5 inches. i will use this teak wood i bought on ebay for 10.00 for 3 pcs. not really wings but for support on the sides.

i want to keep this gun thin and not add wood where i dont really need it. i just think a little support on the sides would be good to have. everything else will stay the way it is.

there was a good deal for some teak on ebay, here is more:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PT-519-1-PC-EXOTIC-WOOD-TEAK-LUMBER-36-5-8-X-4-X-1_W0QQitemZ130087747293QQcategoryZ116861QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

JohnGuineaPig

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

anything