Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:21:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:13:58 PM]

[Today at 01:49:13 PM]

[Today at 01:47:49 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Open Muzzle, home brewed of Delrin  (Read 2428 times)

JohnGuineaPig

• Sea Lion
  • ling cod will eat ling cod which will eat ling cod
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2005
I had some delrin scrap laying around from making motorcycle parts and decided to make an open muzzle for my speargun. the machining was all of about 5 minutes max and i used stainless pins which are epoxied in place and stainless line anchor. i tried it out last weekend at monastery and it worked great for a few olives. not a bad way to get an open muzzle and lose the stock sporasub muzzle with all of its leaks and stuff. this is a two band version. i also have a single band version. the muzzle slides into the barrel with a tight fit and its marine gooped in place and secured with two stainless wood screws. i dont think it'll be going anywhere anytime soon. it sure is fun making stuff and finding a use for the scrap stuff i have. here is one photo of the double band and some of the single band. the double is on a sporasub viper and the single is on a sporasub samurai with a JBL truglide rail.

im putting a omer pelagic reel on the viper this week and got some dyneema line form neptonics. those guys are the best. great service and great products as well as local!

i cant wait to go spearing again.

I have a JBL Sawed off Magnum which I am converting to hybrid w/ longer aluminum barrel form a sporasub aspic, a JBL tru glide rail and also going to put an open muzzle on it. Just because the gun has been sitting and not doing anything the past 2 years. this is also the opportunity to lose the slide ring setup and go with a longer tahitian shaft. Like a poor man's hybrid gun: ) I am a frequent customer at OSH for stainless fasteners.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 08:58:08 AM by JohnGuineaPig »

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
That looks great.  I intend to start on some DIY speargun projects too in the near future when I get a dramatic improvement in shop space.  There's a lot of room for customizing guns for the poor vis that's standard up north or at linda-mar. 
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

leony

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
Nice work!
BTW, I hated the leaky sporosuck. So I finally used some 3M 5200 marine adhesive to seal it off completely. But now the trigger stucks sometimes, sand probably got into it. With the trigger mechanism permanently glued to the barrel (water leaked from the joint previously, that's the only way to seal it off), I cannot take it apart anymore.
Sporosub sucks, they sometimes have good design as the Viper, but the quality just sucks so bad. Have you seen the new Instinct? Looks cheap too and they even got rid of the supporting rail!!

fishshim

• Sea Lion
  • thanks for the pic PAL!
  • View Profile Mark Shimizu Design-Jewelry
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
Looks good John!I've been making new float lines and re-rigging also.I tried dying some mono for my shooting line and it worked good.So then I dyed my float line tubing also(used liquid Rit)it came out just as good.I've bought a aftermarket muzzle, but now I want to make them.
 I've been rebuilding an old Voit for my nephew.Longer tracked barrel,open muzzle,new pinned shaft.I thought he should reach out a little farther than his old pole spear.Poor kid is going to school at UofH,
lifeguarding at a big hotel,surfing,diving!College sounds like a LOT OF WORK. :smt005

JohnGuineaPig

• Sea Lion
  • ling cod will eat ling cod which will eat ling cod
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2005
Nice work!
BTW, I hated the leaky sporosuck. So I finally used some 3M 5200 marine adhesive to seal it off completely. But now the trigger stucks sometimes, sand probably got into it. With the trigger mechanism permanently glued to the barrel (water leaked from the joint previously, that's the only way to seal it off), I cannot take it apart anymore.
Sporosub sucks, they sometimes have good design as the Viper, but the quality just sucks so bad. Have you seen the new Instinct? Looks cheap too and they even got rid of the supporting rail!!

Hi Leony, I agree that the sporasubs are a hard gun to love. I think the best gun they made was the viper as the new instinct is more of a gimmick than a durable speargun. check out the butt of the gun, the trigger lock, the lack of a rail . its so spacey that a first time buyer would probably see it all as an advantage. i would bet they still use the traditional barrel sealing methods as well which probably end up leaky too. i think the viper is the toughest gun by sporasub and with a few adjustments it works well. i think the design of the instinct resembles more the sporasub samurai which i modified. the thinner barrel for maneuverability and the single shaft guide. I guess for the price it is not bad but man, i sure wish they had kept the rail. thats what makes the vipers work well.

john