Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:50:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:13:54 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:08:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:43:02 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:57:35 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Hawiian Kage Spear Gaff  (Read 6385 times)

yatzmail@yahoo.com

regulations are so complicated and frustrating  :smt013
never plain and straight-forward

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011

CA regs and fizzbin have a lot in common...

Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007

CA regs and fizzbin have a lot in common...

That's why you should call a kage a gaff, and why you should call hali-poons flying gaffs.  A traditional flying gaff tied off to a buoy fits the definition of mousetrap gear, which is illegal to possess at all.  Damned if I'm tying it of to my kayak.

Some day, when I am philosopher king, I will change the regs to make perfect sense. Until then, we play Calvinball.  The only rule is you can't have the same rule twice.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
That's why you should call a kage a gaff, and why you should call hali-poons flying gaffs.  A traditional flying gaff tied off to a buoy fits the definition of mousetrap gear, which is illegal to possess at all.  Damned if I'm tying it of to my kayak.

From the regulations:

Mousetrap gear prohibited: It is unlawful to use, assist in using, or to possess aboard any vessel, hook-and-line gear commonly termed “mouse traps” constructed of a hook(s) or lure(s), attached to one end of a line that is attached to a float, or floats at the other end, and that when fished, is not attached directly to a person or vessel. Possession of such gear aboard a vessel shall be prima facie evidence that the gear is being used in violation of this regulation.

Why would a halibut harpoon tied to a buoy be considered mousetrap gear if no hooks are involved? It is identical to a break away setup with a slip tip used for spearing pelagic fish. The spear goes through the fish and is attached to a buoy with the shooting/float line. The fish then drags the buoy around, while you are completely detached from it.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Because “gaffs” are legal and not questioned. It matters what you call something. If I used a flying gaff to take a California halibut, legal or not?  What if it is a hali-poon?  Legal or not?

My point is it matter what you call things, maybe to the point that it is more important than what it actually is.

A traditional flying gaff has a hook. A wiremans gaff is similar. Both meet the definition of mousetrap gear if you attach them to a buoy instead of the boat. I don’t think you will get a ticket for using one. Just like I don’t think you will get a ticket for using a kage. But I still call it a gaff.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Whatever you call it, I think it would be legal to use on a pacific halibut.

LilRiverMan

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
I don't see why there are differing opinions by Wardens. The 2018/2019 regs make it pretty clear.

28.95. Spears, Harpoons and Bow and Arrow Fishing Tackle.

Spears, harpoons and bow and arrow fishing tackle may be used for taking all varieties of skates, rays, and sharks, except white sharks. Harpoons may be used to assist in taking Pacific halibut as specified in Section 28.20. Such gear may not be possessed or used within 100 yards of the mouth of any stream in any ocean waters north of Ventura County, nor aboard any vessel on any day or on any trip when broadbill swordfish or marlin have been taken. Bow and arrow fishing tackle may be used to take finfish other than giant (black) sea bass, garibaldi, gulf grouper, broomtail grouper, trout, salmon, broadbill [swordfish] and white shark.

28.20 Halibut, Pacific.

(a) Season:

[Note: The season for Pacific halibut has not been set as of the printing of this booklet, and is not included in here. See additional information about the Pacific halibut season in the box below.]

(b) Limit: One.

(c) Minimum size: None.

(d) Methods of Take:

(1) When angling, no more than one line with two hooks attached may be used.

(2) A harpoon, gaff, or net may be used to assist in taking a Pacific halibut that has been legally caught by angling. See Section 28.95 of these regulations for additional restrictions on the use of harpoons.

Is the debate whether the detachable head makes it not a harpoon ? If so go with a one piece
Winner, 2012 Fisherman's Warehouse, Tiki Lagoon - Stripers.

Proud paddler - Pay it Forward Paddle 2010 / 2011 / 2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018

In the game of biggest fish, if you can't enjoy routinely gettin' your ass handed to you, by great fishermen, then you don't belong in the NCKA.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Where does it say I can’t use a kage to assist in landing a lingcod?  Where does it say that I can use a net to assist in landing a legal sized lingcod?  Where does it say that I can use a net to catch a hitchhiker lingcod that has not voluntarily taken a hook in its mouth?

"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Ok,
So,
We now know that you may or may not be allowed to use a Kage. We also know that CDFW states in the regulations that can and can not use a Kage. And, it's official that the wardens have mixed opinions on how they will in force the law that may or may not be.
So,
I have TWO Hawaiian Kaje spear gaffs that I made for practice while I was thinking of making one to use.
If you are interested in one or both, let me know and I'll give you a great deal. These are made very well, and should last a long time, But, they are not stainless.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 03:39:39 PM by yakhopper »
Hobie Outback (dune)

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
After reading the regs I can understand that it cannot be used for specific fish so everything else is legit.  Hmmm....might start to carry...
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

tiny

• Striper
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2009
Thanks for the pictures Crash.Very nice.Did you make the gaff?
A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve,not by the desire to beat others-Ayn Rand

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 urban camo
RTM Abaco orange and black   HELL YEAH

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thanks for the pictures Crash.Very nice.Did you make the gaff?

Yessir.

Hickory axe handle, 24” of 10/24 stainless stock, doweling jig for a 12” hole, secured with expanding gorilla glue, and sharpened to a point with a grinding wheel. Finished with a paracord wrap and an occasional coat of marine spar urethane.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

tiny

• Striper
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Awesome work.Is the tip connected to the gaff by stainless cable?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 08:01:44 PM by tiny »
A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve,not by the desire to beat others-Ayn Rand

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Awesome work.Is the tip connected to the gaff by stainless cable?

The tip fits over the point of the gaff.  The wire is connected to the braided rope that is connected to the buoy.  The gaff is not connected to the tip in any way.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

tiny

• Striper
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Very nice thanks crash