Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:34:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:32:29 AM]

[Today at 11:27:54 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: PRODUCT REVIEWS  (Read 65283 times)

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Post your product reviews here!

scoring system:

:smt023 = good but I can do without it
 :smt023 :smt038 = pretty good and I'd like to have it
 :smt023 :smt041 :headbang: = pretty dam good and I need to have it

* just make sure you've tested the product yourself and stand by it*

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Product: Oneill Thermo-X
use: for layering during cold weather fishing.

I've had mine for over a year now and I'm loving it! It's water repellant, wind proof, wicks the sweat off your body, keeps you warm, quick drying and does not chaff. Wear it under your farmer john and you're good to go!

* You can also use it as a base layer when your skiing / snowboarding or even riding your scooter during the winter months :smt002

* I've also used 'em when swimming in the outdoor pools during winter time.

* They come in long sleeve, short sleeve and vests.

my score:  :smt023  :hello2: :headbang:

« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 09:47:26 PM by Mooch »

Usagi

• Sea Lion
  • The results of a negative WAF account...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006

scoring system:

Where do these fit in?

:smt003
You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old because you quit playing...

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile

scoring system:

Where do these fit in?

:smt003

extreme madness....seek help :smt002

Bird

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0016690902273a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&No=18&Ntk=Products&QueryText=polar+tec&sort=all&Go.y=0&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=0&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

Product: Polartec layering - light, medium, heavy weight options - pants and tops.

Been using this stuff for 5 years now. Available in light, medium and expedition weight so there is an option for all temperatures.  Have used under breathable waders and hip boots for kayak, drift boat and bank fishing during winter and all seasons. Also have used it for hiking, snowshoeing, and fieldwork. The light silk weight is real nice for a light base layer and both medium and heavy weights have been good as well for winter fishing. I have never been cold when using this stuff.  It's a great layering option for many uses in my experience. Got mine from Cabela's but also have seen it on other sites.

:smt023 :smt041 :headbang:

« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 12:19:32 PM by Bird »

Usagi

• Sea Lion
  • The results of a negative WAF account...
  • View Profile
3 stars or 3 headbangers (couldn't figure out how to post the little dudes!).

Bird,

When you're in the "reply" window you'll see a line of emoticons (the little dudes) just above the text window.  To the right of that line is a link that says [more]...hit that link and it'll open a window with all of the smileys NCKA has available.  From there it's just a matter of clicking the smiley you want and it's inserted wherever your cursor happens to be in the text box. 

For example: "Today, my WAF account took a big hit because I remembered that it was her birthday after I was on the water reeling in my first fish..."  :smt075 might be an appropriate emoticon to use.  :smt005

Hope that helps!
You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old because you quit playing...

Bird

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

bwodun

3 stars or 3 headbangers (couldn't figure out how to post the little dudes!).

Bird,

When you're in the "reply" window you'll see a line of emoticons (the little dudes) just above the text window.  To the right of that line is a link that says [more]...hit that link and it'll open a window with all of the smileys NCKA has available.  From there it's just a matter of clicking the smiley you want and it's inserted wherever your cursor happens to be in the text box. 

For example: "Today, my WAF account took a big hit because I remembered that it was her birthday after I was on the water reeling in my first fish..."  :smt075 might be an appropriate emoticon to use.  :smt005

Hope that helps!
:smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044

WSki22

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Hey Bird, i gotta agree with you on the polartec, The army issues us that stuff, i got 2 pairs of the light layer which is expendable which means i get to keep it for free!!....

I havent used it in a wet environment, What would you say about how well it insulates when wet? but i have used it hunting and i must say you can't even notice your wearing other than the fact it keeps you warm :smt066

Bird

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Wski22 - I haven't gone full immersion and then been in the cold so no experience there.  I have had some minor splashing down the backside of waist-high breathable waders from sitting in the water in the kayak seat and over the top of rubber hip waders - wasn't cold.  I agree with you, that light stuff is a great base layer. 

WSki22

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Its gonna be good when i get home i am just going to be splurging money on gear/kayak, i plan some of the other layers, plus like i said earlier i hunt also so alot of the gear like the gps i plan on getting and the clothing i will also be able to use hunting. Is there a type of shoe that you recommend? one that can handle getting wet pretty decently that i could still hike in or wear out on the water all day?

Bird

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
WSki22 - I use sandals (like tevas) or a cheap pair of neoprene water shoes if I'm wearing shorts, either sandals or an old pair of Hodgman wading boots with the breathable waders, and an old pair of neoprene dive booties with the wetsuit.  I do a lot of river floats where I live so if I have a long walk back carting the kayak I'll usually throw a pair of light weight, ankle-hi hiking boots or tennis shoes in the hatch and use them for the walk home. 

NRS and others make some cool looking water/hiking boots for paddling and portages.  I haven't tried them but they might be an option to check out. I think some of the folks on this site use some of these types of boots so maybe they can chime in with their reviews. I could use an upgrade too!

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product_list.asp?deptid=1169

Take care.

Salty.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
The swiveling joint on these pliers will not rust, the jaws are rust resistant metal not plastic, and they float. Even with the leash they float. I had a pair of the plastic jawed ones and the jaws wore out. So far these are not showing any signs of wear. These are the 9" long model. jim

Shicken

• HAC
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2006
why not create a forum category for product reviews, so each review has its own topic/thread.

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
why not create a forum category for product reviews, so each review has its own topic/thread.

I was hoping Bill could do that....Bill????