Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:58:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:57:53 PM]

[Today at 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[Today at 05:23:24 PM]

[Today at 04:39:50 PM]

[Today at 04:07:02 PM]

[Today at 01:20:14 PM]

[Today at 10:36:10 AM]

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Smoked Salmon Frig or Freezer  (Read 1663 times)

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Smoked some salmon and just vacuum sealed some. Should I keep in the frig or freezer?

Have stuck it in the freezer before but not sure if it really matters.

It normally gets eaten pretty fast but there's usually some left over.

Thanks for your input.
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Vacuum packed smoked fish will still be good to eat after a year if it is frozen.  The same vacuum packed smoked fish will only last a couple of weeks in the refrigerator. So freeze your smoked fish, and defrost a package when you are ready to eat it.

Jeremy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2013
Belly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Vacuum packed smoked fish will still be good to eat after a year if it is frozen.  The same vacuum packed smoked fish will only last a couple of weeks in the refrigerator. So freeze your smoked fish, and defrost a package when you are ready to eat it.

Yeah that's what I normally do. Just wanted to see if anyone did it differently.
Thanks

Belly.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's only so much you can eat  :smt001
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I do the same as Pete. I always vacuum seal my smoked salmon in roughly 1 week portions and freeze it. Smoked salmon has a pretty low water content, so it thaws really quickly. Just plop a frozen vacuum baggy in a bowl of cold water and it’ll thaw in a matter of minutes, then store whatever you don’t eat right then and there in the fridge for up to a week or so. (Probably up to a few weeks is fine, but it never lasts that long once it hits the fridge).

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I've been freezing smoked salmon in vacuum packs and it comes out great. I've even thawed fresh-frozen salmon, smoked it, and then froze it, and it comes out great! Smoked salmon seems very forgiving when it comes to freezing. Smoking it is the hard part!

May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...

Ebayfisher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
Oooh oooh. That looks mighty tasty.  Me wants a smoker and a vacuum sealer.   :smt007

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
You guys look like you've been doing this vacuum sealing thing for a while.

Don't mean to threadjack but kind of vacuum sealer do you recommend?
2015 Hobie Revo 13
2017 Hobie i12s
Stealth Fisha 460

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015

There are two kinds of vacuum sealers: (1) suction vacuum sealers, where you clamp the open end of a vacuum sealer bag between two gaskets, and the sealer sucks air out of the bag, and then seals the end of the bag.  In a suction sealer, the main portion of the bag and its contents are outside of the vacuum sealer machine.  (2) Chamber vacuum sealers, where you put the entire bag and its contents in a vacuum chamber with the open end of the bag lying on a sealing element, close the lid of the chamber, suck air out of the chamber, seal the open end of the bag, and then let air back into the chamber.  When you let air back into the chamber, because there is very little air in the sealed bag, the air pressure squeezes the bag against its contents.

Chamber vacuum sealers produce a better vacuum than suction sealers.  You can seal bags containing liquid in a chamber sealer; if you seal a bag containing much liquid in a suction sealer, the vacuum sealer will suck liquid out of the bag, which can cause problems for the machine, and may interfere with heat sealing the bag.  Chamber sealer bags are somewhat less expensive than suction sealer bags, because chamber sealer bags can be smooth on both sides, but suction sealer bags need texture on one side so air can be sucked out of the bag even when the sides of the bag are squeezed together by the machine's gaskets.  Chamber sealers usually use pre-made bags, but suction sealers can use rolls, which offer a lot of flexibility about the size of the bag which you seal.  Chamber vacuum sealers are typically high quality machines which are way more expensive than suction vacuum sealers.  Chamber vacuum sealers will be much larger, heavier, and harder to move and store than suction vacuum sealers. Suction vacuum sealers can be pretty inexpensive, but they tend to poop out after a couple of years.

Because of the expense, size, and weight of chamber vacuum sealers, for your first vacuum sealer, I recommend that you buy a suction sealer.  You can find adequate suction sealers at Walmart and other big box stores.

I will make a prediction:  You will love having a vacuum sealer.  It's a great way to freeze meat, fish, and many other food items.  So rather than buying the cheapest vacuum sealer you can find, I suggest that you get a medium priced or better suction sealer.  It's an excellent investment, and a mid-priced sealer will work better and last longer than an inexpensive bottom-of-the-line sealer.

After you have gone through one or more suction vacuum sealers, you are fully convinced of the value of vacuum packing your fish and other food, you are doing a lot of vacuum sealing, and you are tired of blowing money on vacuum sealers which crap out after a couple of years, you can consider getting a chamber style vacuum packer.  They are monsters to store and move around, but they work really well.

Here's a couple pictures of vacuum sealed fish.  You can see that the fish sealed in the smooth bags by a chamber sealer has less air in it than the fish sealed in the textured bags by a suction sealer.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 09:15:22 PM by pmmpete »

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018

There are two kinds of vacuum sealers: (1) suction vacuum sealers, where you clamp the open end of a vacuum sealer bag between two gaskets, and the sealer sucks air out of the bag, and then seals the end of the bag.  In a suction sealer, the main portion of the bag and its contents are outside of the vacuum sealer machine.  (2) Chamber vacuum sealers, where you put the entire bag and its contents in a vacuum chamber with the open end of the bag lying on a sealing element, close the lid of the chamber, suck air out of the chamber, seal the open end of the bag, and then let air back into the chamber.  When you let air back into the chamber, because there is very little air in the sealed bag, the air pressure squeezes the bag against its contents.

Chamber vacuum sealers produce a better vacuum than suction sealers.  You can seal bags containing liquid in a chamber sealer; if you seal a bag containing much liquid in a suction sealer, the vacuum sealer will suck liquid out of the bag, which can cause problems for the machine, and may interfere with heat sealing the bag.  Chamber sealer bags are somewhat less expensive than suction sealer bags, because chamber sealer bags can be smooth on both sides, but suction sealer bags need texture on one side so air can be sucked out of the bag even when the sides of the bag are squeezed together by the machine's gaskets.  Chamber sealers usually use pre-made bags, but suction sealers can use rolls, which offer a lot of flexibility about the size of the bag which you seal.  Chamber vacuum sealers are typically high quality machines which are way more expensive than suction vacuum sealers.  Chamber vacuum sealers will be much larger, heavier, and harder to move and store than suction vacuum sealers. Suction vacuum sealers can be pretty inexpensive, but they tend to poop out after a couple of years.

Because of the expense, size, and weight of chamber vacuum sealers, for your first vacuum sealer, I recommend that you buy a suction sealer.  You can find adequate suction sealers at Walmart and other big box stores.

I will make a prediction:  You will love having a vacuum sealer.  It's a great way to freeze meat, fish, and many other food items.  So rather than buying the cheapest vacuum sealer you can find, I suggest that you get a medium priced or better suction sealer.  It's an excellent investment, and a mid-priced sealer will work better and last longer than an inexpensive bottom-of-the-line sealer.

After you have gone through one or more suction vacuum sealers, you are fully convinced of the value of vacuum packing your fish and other food, you are doing a lot of vacuum sealing, and you are tired of blowing money on vacuum sealers which crap out after a couple of years, you can consider getting a chamber style vacuum packer.  They are monsters to store and move around, but they work really well.

Here's a couple pictures of vacuum sealed fish.  You can see that the fish sealed in the smooth bags by a chamber sealer has less air in it than the fish sealed in the textured bags by a suction sealer.

Wow! That's an awesome explanation on the two types of sealers. I actually have an Amazon bought Geryon vacuum sealer with the gaskets...and well...it sucks like shit. Half the time, I think it's broken because I don't see the air coming out fast enough. Although it's small and portable.

2015 Hobie Revo 13
2017 Hobie i12s
Stealth Fisha 460

Scruzfish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
Add me to the freezer group.  Works great.

PMMPete,  great explanation of the different styles.

Another reminder,  for those of you with the suction types,  dont forget to open them up and clean them.  if you are losing suction, this could be the culprit.