Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:50:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: thinking of getting a hobie...  (Read 4449 times)

splashdown

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
So I think I'm fairly set on the 2017 camo outback, I'll be demo'ing the revo as well so that should give me a better idea... I love the idea of the revo's speed and ability to handle chop, but I'm fairly gear-centric and think the extra deck space would benefit my style of fishing. I do see many switching out their outbacks for revo's though.

Has anyone dealt with windtoys in Santa Rosa? Spoke to John over the phone and he seems like he's super knowledgeable on the hobies, mentioned he and his staff have outfitted a bunch of ncka'ers.

I bought my Hobies from windtoys and they are a decent organization. John does like Hobies and he can probably set you up a good deal on a year end model. I'd buy another one from him if I was still in state
"bull riding came about when some redneck stated, "hold my beer and watch this!"

Dallas HOW Chapter Coordinator

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
maybe by the time the 2018 models are released, Hobie will unveil an outbacklution, or revoback haha.

I think you just described Santa Cruz Raptor G2  :smt044
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
... with the upgraded (mandatory...) turbo fins and sailing rudder ...

Another vote for mandatory...
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

boosted

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2012
Absolutely! The camo model outback has the turbo fins and sailing rudder as standard equipment. I hope I'll get to try them soon. John at windtoys was the only one who gave me good service over the phone, everyone else seemed to pretty much brush me off. Lots of recommendations for CCK though.

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
Absolutely! The camo model outback has the turbo fins and sailing rudder as standard equipment. I hope I'll get to try them soon. John at windtoys was the only one who gave me good service over the phone, everyone else seemed to pretty much brush me off. Lots of recommendations for CCK though.

Another vote for CCK.  Beside sponsoring our event, I heard that they made good on a very tough situation not long ago.
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

• Napa Fisherman
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Why would the sailing rudder and turbo fins be mandatory? My revo is standard and seems to get along just fine?

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
Why would the sailing rudder and turbo fins be mandatory? My revo is standard and seems to get along just fine?

The turbo fins generate way more power---in comparison, the standard fins are like spinning your wheels. You'll definitely go farther and faster with the turbo fins.

The sailing rudder will turn much sharper, but you can probably live without it, so that's only semi-mandatory (unless you actually sail, in which case it becomes fully-mandatory).
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia

boosted

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I got a chance to make it out to CCK today and tried out both the revo and outback, both 2017 models. I couldn't tell too much of a difference in speed, the water was a tad choppy with 3-4mph headwinds. I could tell the revo went through the chop smoother, outback had the "slap" that everyone mentioned. I do like the width of the outback for my gear. Hopefully with the 2018s being released soon, the 2017's will be discounted and I'll be back on the water :)

boosted

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Just an update: I ended up finding a nice and fully equipped 2015 outback from a fellow ncka'er for a good deal. Going to rig it up to my liking and slay some fins.

Thank you all for the help and I'll see you out there!!!

SmokeOnTheWater

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2011

Can't say they're mandatory, but both items are totally worth it.  Especially the turbo fins!
If you ain't first, you're last.

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Remember, you will inevitably learn to balance better...but your kayak can't learn how to be faster.
Stability is over rated ...

This!
Agree.  The biggest drawback for me downsizing from an Adventure to Revo was the loss in speed!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

Califbill

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2008
Size size of the paddler is a consideration.  I bought Grumpys Outback when he went Revo.  The narrower Revo was a lot easier to paddle for a smaller person.  The width makes a major difference in getting the paddle in the water.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
Size size of the paddler is a consideration.  I bought Grumpys Outback when he went Revo.  The narrower Revo was a lot easier to paddle for a smaller person.  The width makes a major difference in getting the paddle in the water.

But how often does anyone paddle a Hobie? Briefly when launching/landing on a beach and maybe if your mirage drive breaks down (which has never happened to me).
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia

Califbill

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2008
Paddle in the kelp, etc.  also reaching over the side to land fish.  Coming through surf.  Is a consideration.  I am big.  6'4" and 250, so Outback works great.  Grumpy is 5' 7 or so.

anything