Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:25:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:53:15 PM]

[Today at 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Unbelievable Fishing Trip (non yak)  (Read 3133 times)

CaptainKayak

• Do you consider lingcod a filthy animal?
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
I got on one of the party boats at Eville Marina for some halibut fishing. 6 a.m. and noticed that two big groups were already on the boat drinking beer (lots of beer) and Jack D. Smelled marijuana too as soon as the boat left the marina. Everybody were cool until one guy got really drunk and started to bother the other group and other people in general. Here's a list of what the drunk guy's antics on the boat:

Started calling members of his own group "gay", "girl", "homo".  :smt011
Started to badger the deck hands by begging them to call members of his own group (see above)
Started to walk around the boat staggering all over the place and actually falling on his face twice! THUD once and THUD twice.  :smt005
Started to bother the women of the other drunk big group by getting on fish picture shots uninvited.  :smt009
Started to brag about his San Quentin stint and how he can fight.  :smt009
Started to ask random people if they wanted to fight him. :smt013
Started to mess with the sleeping folks inside the cabin who felt sick and was trying to engage them in drunk conversation.  :smt044
Let me just say too that the profanity was flying all over the place.
In addition to all of this the drunk guy managed to take a tagged fish out of the fish well and hid a halibut inside his cooler making everybody nuts looking for it.  :smt011
AND THE BEST PART...... By this time one of his group member was actually designated to watch his every move to get him out of trouble.... BUT..... he managed to go inside the cabin and pick pocketed a wallet of one of the drunk guys with the other big group.

That's when the pre-brawl posturing occured. 12 men, 2 women, and their 2 kids getting ready to throw down (well not the kids) but you get my point on a boat and no one has no where to go unless you jump over the side. The crew came close to calling the coast guard but I don't know what stopped them. Maybe they didn't want the boat boarded by Coast Guard but I was surprised they didn't call them. Brawl averted when the stupid guy gave up the wallet. Then he had the nerve to say this...... "Tell him he got jacked by the master!" The other big group was just so calm and left it at that without further incident.

Shortly after that the captain turned around and headed for the marina to drop off the drunk guy. The rest of his crew left with him. As the drunk guy was leaving he was still yelling at the boat asking folks to "come get us some!" LOL! The other drunk group left as well but the rest of the us stayed on the boat and went back fishing. BTW, in their haste to leave the boat both groups left their halibut on board which ended up in my cooler (thanks for the crew who felt bad about the whole scene and gave me and my friends fish).

Looking back, I still can't believe that guy didn't get stabbed, gaffed or something for all the stupid crap that he did.
I wouldn't go so far as to call a lingcod filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a lingcod's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

Salty.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Great story man. Sounds like you made a good day of it despite the jackhole. Hopefuly the next party boat he sees on the bay will be looking out through the bars back where he belongs.  :smt002  jim

Eric B

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
What boat was this?

IMO there's no excuse for the captain not to get that under control right away.  It's his fault for allowing it to happen.

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Dang I HATE drama with my fish!!!!!!
It makes for a good tale though, & you scored some "feel-good" fish too.

I go on one charter a year in SoCal, and since we mostly all know each other from years past it is pretty chill. I recall the second year I went though there was one guy who was hitting the southern comfort hard. He was already tanked when he boarded the boat, & just got worse until he passed out. Even asleep though, he kept waking up the whole boat with his night-terror screams. Maybe he had PTSD or something, poor guy. Anyway, he slept the whole day, never fished, and after the day was done no one knew who he was, even the charter master. Turns out he was probably on the wrong boat the whole time & never knew it. :smt009

The only other consequences of the heavy drinkers I have seen on charters is they chunk more and fish less.

Petty theft?WTF? Mary-jane on a coast guard inspected vessel? I am really surprised the captain didn't turn around right then, as that can be a license losing incident what with "zero-tolerance, etc.

I'm glad your tale had a happy ending!
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

CaptainKayak

• Do you consider lingcod a filthy animal?
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
What boat was this?

IMO there's no excuse for the captain not to get that under control right away.  It's his fault for allowing it to happen.

Like I said, I was really surprised the crew didn't handle the situation better. I really think they wanted no part of the Coast Guard. I won't say the name of the boat here but it's based at Emeryville. It went out this past Saturday on the bay. While the pre-brawl posturing was going on I saw one of the fisherman not involved in the drama silently collecting and hiding all the knives laying around. Good Move on that dudes part! :smt006

I wouldn't go so far as to call a lingcod filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a lingcod's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

Eric B

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Drinking and smoking doesn't bother me, knock yourself out.  I've been on several where people puffed descretly (in the head), and it didn't seem to bother anyone.

I can understand the reluctance to invite scrutiny from the authorities....  But harassing lady folk, and theft?   Homeboy should have left the docks in cuffs, (or wrapped in mono).

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

redwoodfox

sounds like that captain runs a sloppy business. I think it should be off limits to drink or smoke anything on a party  boat, to close quarters.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
That sucks.
One of the benefits of about kayak fishing....whenever somebody acts a fool, just paddle away. You aren't stuck on a boat w/the jerk for 8 hours.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
whenever somebody acts a fool, just paddle away. You aren't stuck on a boat w/the jerk for 8 hours.

Totally.  Screw hanging out with that sort.  Call me crazy but if the skipper wasn't going to turn the boat around, I'd have just slid over the rail and swam to shore.  I'd rather swim through refuse than be shanked by it. 

Andy1976

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
It was nice meeting you Frank.  Sorry about the drama, and as I've already learned you're a cool dude that didn't deserve that.  Hope we can get together and fish again sometime.
The world belongs to the energetic. 
Ralph Waldo Emerson

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
That the kind of stuff that turned me off to party boats years ago. Your confined with knuckle heads all day and you are paying top dollar. I also was tuned off by people 'saving' prime spots for buddies that show up 2 min before we launch. And capt's that always seem to set up the drifts for the side of the boat with all his buddies. Conversely the deck hands have always been great to deal with.
-Eric Berg

Eric B

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Call me crazy but if the skipper wasn't going to turn the boat around, I'd have just slid over the rail and swam to shore.

Oh, the imagery.   :smt044

Later...  *splash*

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
Call me crazy but if the skipper wasn't going to turn the boat around, I'd have just slid over the rail and swam to shore.

Oh, the imagery.   :smt044

Later...  *splash*

Martin would have gotten sucked off course by the tide and done a loop around the Farallons...
-Eric Berg

baitNbeer

• Sea Lion
  • "kick his ass sea-bass!"
  • View Profile delta rats & salty bay dogs
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
me and a buddy got drunk by 9 am  one time on the captian hook outta everyville but we made everyone laugh , we passed around a bottle of hennessey and people were snatching that shit up! then when we soberd up people told us that they liked us better when were were drunk!

some people have no business drinking.
www.mossdalemilitia.com
 once you go yak , you dont go back
"But really though, I dont know how my wifes cucumber melon bodywash got in my dive bag"