Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:55:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Kazkazi Dorado...first paddle  (Read 14490 times)

Backslider

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
Hi Scwa,

Poor choice because of the narrow beam?  What if I don't want to outgrow a "barge" in two weeks... not that I'm seriously considering the Dodo?  Also, you mentioned fiberglass or epoxy as construction options... isn't it epoxied glass?  I'm confused.  Is there a weight difference between the two "construction methods"?

On a side note... have you clocked yourself on your gps yet??????  Inquiring minds want to know...

Thanks,

Backslider

ScottThornley

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Polepole - it wasn't a "totally out of synch" situation, but a matter of degree. Tom was only packing 7-8 extra pounds or so, not really everything but the kitchen sink. This amount of weight is enough to add on an extra hour though, when you consider its affect at altitude and on your balance while climbing and descending. Had we hit the trail at dark, we'd have been home free. As it was, we decided that just moving enough to keep warm was the safest overall  way to spend the night.

SurfingMarmot - are you really off mountaineering for good? I'd still like to get up Mt Sill. I've attempted it twice. One time we got snowed off, the second time I woke up with the flu in Sam Mack meadow.  The Swiss Arete keeps calling me. BTW - the October trip was originally to the East side to do the U-notch, but because of recent snows, we bailed to the West side. So we had to traverse from our camp below Thunderbolt to the gully we ascended to get to the summit. It was the traverse below the North Palisade across the talus that was the problem in the dark.

Sean - I agree with your first paragraph entirely. Fisherman that want to paddle are pretty well taken care of.  Paddlers that want to fish comfortably are yet to be fully catered to, but I don't think it will be long before they are. Kaskazi and Paddleyak are very close. IMHO, if you blended bits of the Dorado and Kingfisher together, you'd be 99% there.  And if what you've told me about the Dorado's stability is true, I'd also have no qualms whatsoever in putting a new paddler in a Dorado. We'd do paddling skill development for an hour, and then go fishing. Rods would be tethered :) Locale, conditions and targeted species would also be geared to a new paddler.

Regards,
Scott
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 08:59:47 PM by ScottThornley »

Backslider

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Hi Scott,

I'm in... where do I sign up?  You teach, I'll flip... then we fish.  I can't get the images of that boat outta my head... definitely beats tupperware IMHO.

Backslider

surfingmarmot

Sean, I think you nailed it--they don't *fish* better. We, as fishers, are responsible for that part of it.

Do they paddle better, farther, faster, and handle more challenging conditons--yes--but only in the hands of those experienced enough to handle them. Any boat is a tool and tools requires an experienced person to bring out its best. It is after all and inanimate object--its the paddler who makes it 'come alive'.

I'd encourage those with paddling expereince to try these new boats. If you don't know your high brace from a low brace, you might be better in a Prowler, Tarpon, Cobra, or Malibu for your first boat. This will come later much like your first skis are not Giant Slalom models.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Poor choice because of the narrow beam? 

Its the loose primary stability that I feel would be unsettling for a newb.  While their is plenty of secondary stability, most newbs don't want to explore that territiory at first.  Beyond that glass boats are significantly more fragile.  Many folks new to yaks have a lot to learn about schlepping boats around in general, this is a no mercy learning platform.  Finally, they are expensive, if you end up not liking the whole endevour, your out a pile of cash.

What if I don't want to outgrow a "barge" in two weeks...

I've been a this a while now and still choose to paddle a barge frequently.  Sometimes the all out utility of a fat plastic boat is impossible to beat.  If you do outgrow one, they are easy to sell for a fair price, especially if you take good care of it.   Many also hang onto their first boat as a spouse or buddy boat.   

Also, you mentioned fiberglass or epoxy as construction options... isn't it epoxied glass?  I'm confused.  Is there a weight difference between the two "construction methods"?

Yes, the fabric remains the same, it is a different type of resin.  Glass has become the synonym for polyester resin.  An epoxy boat is approximately 10 pounds lighter.  Epoxy, in general, is more ductile and less likely to crack etc.  In addition, their is no gel coat on an epoxy boat.  Gelcoat is the most fragile part of "glass" construction.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 06:04:28 AM by scwafish »

Backslider

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Hey Scwa,

Thanks for the info.  I agree with every one of your points... they are all reasons that I will start in plastic.  However, some newbs DO want to explore that area beyond primary stability... after all, that's where all the "performance" factors really come into play...

Also, I figured that when you said "glass" you meant polyester resin versus epoxy... just wanted to make sure.  In the surfboard world, we have to specify between the two... both use glass.  By the way, for anyone that has NOT worked with fiberglass, epoxy (instead of polyester resin) is THE way to go.  It's lighter, more flexy (less star cracks, etc.), not nearly as dangerous to work with, and easy to use/repair.  Plus, there are a lot of resources out there in both the surfboard world and the regular boat-building world.  I'd say as far as the Dodo is concerned, those are great reasons to spring a couple hundred extra bucks.

Backslider

surfingmarmot

FYI, I'll be keeping a plastic boat if and when I go to fibreglas for the reason Sean mentioned. thisis jsut about a continual search for an personally ideal blend of performance and fishability.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Agree completely on epoxy.  Polyester resin is for hot tubs.

Backslider

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Hey Sean,

Are you still using the Dorado regularly?  If so, how about another update?

Backslider

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I haven't had it out in a while.  I need to get it back on the water, it is very nice to paddle, but not right for what I've been doing lately.  Shopping for a ff for it too.

anything