Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:04:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:54:40 PM]

[Today at 06:25:09 PM]

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Will pay $ for someone to help with rigging my yak  (Read 2297 times)

mklein

I'm deathly afraid I'm going to fuck something up and am willing to pay money for assistance in setting up my kayak.

You have to have done this before and be familiar with ocean launches and waterproofing/ruggedizing.

Ocean Kayak Prowler Angler Edition 13' with the following equipment needing securing:

1. Matrix 37 sonar
2. Scotty Triple bar w/RAM post mount and RAM107 ball/arm for Sonar extension/pivoting.
3. In-hull mount for primary quadbeam transducer
4. Mounting of transducer switch securely/waterproof for switching between in-hull quadbeam and externally side-mounted suction cup wide beam transducer.
5. Secure/waterproof mounting of 12v 7ah in front portal/hatch.

I have ordered most parts with the exception of a waterproof? box for battery in hatch and wireseals.

Please private message me for details. Besides $...I also have a sweet bartering option (house on lake).

Sorry to be such a wuss...but I don't want to harm my expensive gear...and am not the handiest dude with tools...computers yes...hand tools...not always.

Anonymous

I was also afraid to install things on my kayak at first.  If you do research and read the great articles on the inernet you can get step by step instructions for installing pretty much everything.  Most stuff is pretty simple, drill holes for SS bolts and goop up the holes.  When you do the work yourself you learn a lot about your kayak.  I made some mistakes and learned a lot from them.

Travis

Anonymous

yup - I've done my fair share of upgrades....I'd love to help you mklein, but I'd be too nervous to put holes into some else's kayak. Besides, I'm not familiar with the layout of the P13.

mklein

I think I <may> be able to get away with only hard-mounting my scotty bar....and not transducer or battery...possibly.

I really need to strongly consider all scenarios...pros and cons.

I'm thinking I can use forward scupper holes and/or scotty bar and/or existing mounting points (maybe rearward rod holders?!?) to create a PVC style L or U bracker which can be fixed relatively securely to yak and be equivalent of "transom mount" for transducer.

I may top mount battery too...since I run fishing lights (underwater kind) it makes more sense to have battery up top.

For surf launches of course all this shit would be stored in a dry bag.

Would be uber-portable.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
that was me ....

here are some links that might be useful.....
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=8

my advise = any objects that stick out of your deck (rod holders & fish finder) should be detachable (or fold flat) just in case it's a big surf day. If and when your kayak rolls on the surf and hits the shoreline - anything protruding from your deck may ripp-off and cause more damage. This is why I prefer the fluch mount rod holders.

...just my 2 cents

mklein

Stay tuned guys...I think I have a killer "hole"-less mounting system in mind for my sonar and 2 transducers...

Am planning to do design this weekend and will hopefully post pix shortly.

There are many many ways of doing this...and you must consider all scenarios with pros/cons before attempting any mods...and this is what I'm trying to do.

• "May the Fish be with You"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Mklein,

There's a picture of my Hobie Sport that Mooch took. It shows my pvc, L shaped bracket that holds my transducer a few inches underwater.
The FF is mounted on a large pill bottle and stuffed into one of the beverage holders of my yak.
I decided to go w/ the removeable set up as I didn't want to mess w/ the wire routing in my yak. Also, I've planned to take my crate set-up to mexico one day when I do that epic yak trip.
Everything is removable and just seems to be a handy set-up.

It's listed under the gallery - Elric's Hobie
~Elric

"May the Fish Be With You!"

mklein

And where might this picture be???

I have taken 2 epic kayak trips...one to Sea Of Cortez and other to Alaska...both done with my younger brother.

At Sea Of Cortez...weather sucked HARD...but fishing sho' didn't. We slammed like all damn day long. No sooner than my lure hit water and BAM...reeling in one exotic and different fish after another. We yak'd to an island and fished from shore...not in yaks. Weren't really setup for that.

In Alaska we went full on camping...all gear in yaks, tents, bags, stoves, fishing gear, etc. We yak'd up/down coastal areas and stayed in Federal BLM cabins...very rugged. Fished, hunted (at least shot shit up!!! :smt018 ) and had a truly awesome time...

Now that lil' bro' has had baby...I'm hoping that sometime next year we can take a smaller version of trip...too much fun!

Initially in Alaska we were thinking of going to Admiralty Island (aka Kootznoowoo...aka "Grizzly Island")...where there is 1 griz' per sq. mile or something). We ended up deciding against this for our first trip...thank god for that!

anything