Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:50:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 07:28:43 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: DIY pedal drive recommendations?  (Read 4562 times)

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
....it sounds like you want the boat more than you want to build the boat, and in that case it's always better to just buy the boat.  If you want to build the boat, the world is pretty unlimited on what you can do.  But you have to want to build the boat.

Words of wisdom!
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
....it sounds like you want the boat more than you want to build the boat, and in that case it's always better to just buy the boat.  If you want to build the boat, the world is pretty unlimited on what you can do.  But you have to want to build the boat.

Words of wisdom!

IKR? that paragraph can be applied to all kinds of things!
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
I'd still like to see a drive with a sealed bevel gear instead of a cable and chain. 
That would be a Native Propel, I got two and thought about dropping a drive in my Big Tuna, but I’d have to install a rudder.

Those are straight gears to a propeller and are definitely not maintenance free.  I'd seen a prototype for the sealed mirage drive but now I can't seem to find it.  There have been posts on sailing anarchy over the last couple years with guys building sealed gears and dropping mirage like drives into a box like charles did.  None is exactly how I'd go about it.
There beveled I’ve serviced them, but yes two gear sets a shaft and prop..... what about a modified paint mixer on a cordless drill, want reverse point it the other way.

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

Em9sredbeam

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2018
I would if I could just buy a hobie or something, but even used is way out of my price range for now.    Well over double what i paid for the x.   Lost my job after an injury and bad surgery.    Thinking I could build one like that drop in frame with an outboard prop with mainly pvc, and printed or machined parts.   Just got to figure out gearing and prop.

Herb Superb

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
I’d love to see what you can come up with. There are a lot of talented builders/fabricators out there that can make things  happen. Hope you you didn’t pay too much for your malibu X. Might get tough selling it after such mods when you decide to get rid of it. It’ll probably be lake worthy, but I wouldn’t recommend any frankensteined plastic boat in the ocean. There’s just so many factors to put in sonsideration safety-wise. Good luck with your build if you go that route.

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
I would if I could just buy a hobie or something, but even used is way out of my price range for now.    Well over double what i paid for the x.   Lost my job after an injury and bad surgery.    Thinking I could build one like that drop in frame with an outboard prop with mainly pvc, and printed or machined parts.   Just got to figure out gearing and prop.

In my humble opinion, this is a bad idea.  A disaster waiting to happen.  Cutting a hole in the bottom of a plastic boat is bound for failure.  Get a paper route and save up for  a manufactured pedal drive.

~Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Em9sredbeam

• Sardine
  • View Profile
No holes cut with this idea.  Straps onto boat. 
Like the pedaldrop system
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 04:21:29 PM by Em9sredbeam »

Fishcomb

• Sea Lion
  • Banted by Moderators
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2012

In my humble opinion, this is a bad idea.  A disaster waiting to happen.  Cutting a hole in the bottom of a plastic boat is bound for failure.  Get a paper route and save up for  a manufactured pedal drive.

~Bushy
werd

and don't forget the people that will need to risk their life to save another person after they fall out of a kayak.....

check out this thread and search for more.

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=74415.msg847371#msg847371

i wish i can find the one where someone had an outrigger and they couldn't flip it back over and the harbor patrol had to come out.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
There is an active DIY kayak mods Facebook page that you might want to join and look at, this is the kind of stuff that is right in their wheelhouse. Tricked out sun dolphins galore. Lots of stuff that would make most of the safety minded around this forum cringe I. Disgust.

They also have some sweet LED light setups on there. Keep I. Mind that most of those boats will never see salt water.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010

Maybe you could hang a trolling motor on the side to help your shoulder.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

Em9sredbeam

• Sardine
  • View Profile
I would have to register it then right?   That feels a little like giving up and cheating.  Giving up and getting ready to sell my Hoyt carbon bow is about all I am able to finally accept.

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011

~Bushy
werd

and don't forget the people that will need to risk their life to save another person after they fall out of a kayak.....

check out this thread and search for more.

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=74415.msg847371#msg847371

i wish i can find the one where someone had an outrigger and they couldn't flip it back over and the harbor patrol had to come out.

This Cobra Marauder was upside down at HMB a few years ago. The owner could not flip it back over due to the outriggers and the weight of the outboard. So he sat on the bottom of his overturned kayak and waited for a tow from harbor patrol.

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
I would have to register it then right?   That feels a little like giving up and cheating.  Giving up and getting ready to sell my Hoyt carbon bow is about all I am able to finally accept.

Better than sinking. Yes I think it’s $5 a year to register it.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
No holes cut with this idea.  Straps onto boat. 
Like the pedaldrop system

Just when you thought it could get no better!

Hey, I found your solution, it is HERE!!!!!   ~Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

anything