Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:09:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:01:39 PM]

[Today at 01:09:18 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 08:56:12 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: How to catch Octopus?  (Read 1893 times)

Chadrock

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
This one caught at Shelter Cove...

That is a nice one.

I caught one about that size at Fort Ross on a blue and white flutter jig.

Of course that was back in the good old days when we had kelp.
If you want to thank a Vet, be a person worth fighting for.

1st place Red Barn Classic 2010

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
There are times when I can’t keep em off the bait...smaller hand-sized ones, not GPO’s. It happens often over sandy areas off monterey & santa cruz. One day I must have caught 30 of em in Monterey. They are very smart creatures indeed, I enjoy watching them escape from my kayak upon release. Or watching Jim eat them alive hahaha :-)

Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
Just enjoy them as bycatch.  They aren’t caught that often but you are totally in your rights to take and eat one if you catch it.  I’ve only got one of them, out of Albion.  It’s just a bonus gift from the ocean.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
There are times when I can’t keep em off the bait...smaller hand-sized ones, not GPO’s. It happens often over sandy areas off monterey & santa cruz. One day I must have caught 30 of em in Monterey. They are very smart creatures indeed, I enjoy watching them escape from my kayak upon release. Or watching Jim eat them alive hahaha :-)

Classic! Thanks for sharing  :smt044 :smt044
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I realize a lot of people may disagree - maybe its just me, but a growing community say octopuses (octopi?) are some of the most intelligent creatures on the planet, ...

Just curious where you get that info. From what I've seen, a pig (for example) would be considered far more intelligent than an octopus. Yes, octopus are far and away the most intelligent invertebrate, but I don't think that can compare to a lot of vertebrates that humans like to eat.

And, based on the number of neurons, it's hard to see how an octopus could possibly stack up:

octopus: 500 million
pig: 2.22 billion
human: 86 billion

Of course, the number of neurons doesn't tell the whole story, as elephants have 3 times as many as humans. But, the number of neurons in the cerebral cortex of an elephant can't compare to that of a human:
http://nautil.us/issue/35/boundaries/the-paradox-of-the-elephant-brain

Anyways, I think I'll continue to eat octopus, just not alive...

Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

Sakana Seeker

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
I realize a lot of people may disagree - maybe its just me, but a growing community say octopuses (octopi?) are some of the most intelligent creatures on the planet, and the limits of their intelligence is still unknown and being studied.  With this in mind, I tend to equate this to say a dolphin, orca, chimp, maybe even a domesticated horse, cat, dog, etc... all animals I would never choose to kill for sport/food.  In the spirit of conservation and good ocean karma, I would likely pass from harvesting a giant octopus to eat.     

Not to mention they are probably alien. Seriously, from a Darwinian evolution perspective, their genome is just whack. They are like nothing else on earth. Probably alien, evolving on its own timeline. Wicked smart. Once they start riding dolphins, it’s all over for us.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sciencealert.com/octopus-and-squid-evolution-is-officially-weirder-than-we-could-have-ever-imagined/amp

IG: @sakana_seeker

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
I realize a lot of people may disagree - maybe its just me, but a growing community say octopuses (octopi?) are some of the most intelligent creatures on the planet, ...

Just curious where you get that info. From what I've seen, a pig (for example) would be considered far more intelligent than an octopus. Yes, octopus are far and away the most intelligent invertebrate, but I don't think that can compare to a lot of vertebrates that humans like to eat.

And, based on the number of neurons, it's hard to see how an octopus could possibly stack up:

octopus: 500 million
pig: 2.22 billion
human: 86 billion

Of course, the number of neurons doesn't tell the whole story, as elephants have 3 times as many as humans. But, the number of neurons in the cerebral cortex of an elephant can't compare to that of a human:
http://nautil.us/issue/35/boundaries/the-paradox-of-the-elephant-brain

Anyways, I think I'll continue to eat octopus, just not alive...

« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 11:30:39 PM by Cabeza de Martillo »
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
PK with the old skool footage!  :smt005

I’ve hand grabbed some diving but have no clue how to really target them....

Good luck!

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Be sure to let us know if you have any luck targeting them. Maybe they are smart enough to know when the fish are not feeding, so if rock fishing is slow it might be a good time to go after them.

A while back I texted my wife: "No fish today but a got you two tacos for dinner". When I arrived home she had prepared limes, avocados, onions etc. for ceviche. My wife is from Japan and Tako translates to octopus.

She enjoyed the tacos but wondered how anyone would think I would of caught tacos while fishing. She would love to have fresh octopus.

2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler

123engineering

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
Be sure to let us know if you have any luck targeting them. Maybe they are smart enough to know when the fish are not feeding, so if rock fishing is slow it might be a good time to go after them.

A while back I texted my wife: "No fish today but a got you two tacos for dinner". When I arrived home she had prepared limes, avocados, onions etc. for ceviche. My wife is from Japan and Tako translates to octopus.

She enjoyed the tacos but wondered how anyone would think I would of caught tacos while fishing. She would love to have fresh octopus.
Octopus fishing is very popular in Asian countries and whenever my wife and I go out for sushi, we order octopus sushi.
Paul C.

YouTube: Kayak Fishing Couple
2018 Hobie Oasis Papaya & Grey
2022 Hobie Outback Papaya
2017 Hobie Outback Camo Sold
2014 Hobie Revolution 13 Red - Sold
CVN-72 Abraham Lincoln
2013 & 2019 Subaru Outback White

MakoNick

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018

Those videos were great! lol Characters

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I’ve “landed” a couple big ones (2 ft or so) in the shallow rocky area just south of Muir Beach while fishing for halibut with a swimbait.

I didn’t want them, so I did my best free the hook and let them free. But HOLY CRAP that was difficult.... 8 sticky legs flailing around, grabbing everything, sticking to my kayak and everything else within reach.... I was just glad when they finally swam away and let me keep fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
I like octopi.  I never keep them to eat and always try to release safely asap.  It's hard like Alex says....then if they drop to your deck and crawl under your seat, you may as well wait till your landing haha. they can squeeze through the tiniest hole or crack as well.

I got a great picture of Racin Rob and and octopus but I can't find it on my computer....Rob?  You have a copy?

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News