Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:53:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:39:50 PM]

[Today at 04:07:02 PM]

[Today at 01:20:14 PM]

[Today at 10:36:10 AM]

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Tips for Ocean Striper -- Advice?  (Read 2501 times)

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
I agree with Adam that I think you want your lure to be in the surf zone...when I've dove for them that is where I have seen the most action....

Even the bigger fish I've shot had bellies full of sand crabs...I think they cruise the break right at shoreline where the wave hits the sand and churns it up and exposes the sand crabs for them to eat.

Good luck, have fun and be safe!!

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

Live2Fish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I agree with Adam that I think you want your lure to be in the surf zone...when I've dove for them that is where I have seen the most action....

Even the bigger fish I've shot had bellies full of sand crabs...I think they cruise the break right at shoreline where the wave hits the sand and churns it up and exposes the sand crabs for them to eat.

Good luck, have fun and be safe!!

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim
Some of the best intel you can get right there!

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Trolling with planer boards to get your lure in the surf?

Genius! Might have to give that a try...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Just an idea here... Maybe try running a side planer? That might let you troll something (hair raiser, jerkbait, swimbaits, whatever) in the strike zone without having to pedal in it.

Worth a shot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Oops. Just saw that someone else beat me to it.

Give it a shot!

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Keith - Did you happen to see Hog Heaven’s report on Facebook today? Not the best score overall, but looks like they picked up five nice sized stripers on the troll. Wonder where they were fishing?

Lost_Anchovy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile The Lost Anchovy
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
Alex -- sorry buddy haven't seen that report. I don't know where all these charters are going each day. They are like Salmon --migratory. LoL.
www.Thelostanchovy.com
Kayak Adventures, blog and tutorials

Winner - 2014 Kayak Connection Derby
2nd -2103 MBK Tournament

splashdown

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
all i got is.....
FIRST!......they have to be there,,,,,then you have to be on the other side (outside) of the surf line. Tough place to be at. In between the surfers and they're "hey, this is my/our surf" and the incoming swell. I did it twice at LM and it paid off, but only when our lures got into the crashing surf line. No bites outside whatsoever. Casting your lures close to a bunch of KOOKS will get you into arguments and bad vibes. 

We tossed swimbaits at them and it worked, but it was alot of work, positioning ourselves after a set would roll through,,,,,and the looks we got could kill.

BEST TIME EVER!!!    :smt005

Damn bro! Count me in!!!! I miss you homes!

We all miss you Adam!!!
"bull riding came about when some redneck stated, "hold my beer and watch this!"

Dallas HOW Chapter Coordinator

Uminchu Naoaki

• Fisherman from Okinawa
  • Sea Lion
  • Uminchu
  • View Profile my YouTube
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
Keith - Did you happen to see Hog HeavenÂ’s report on Facebook today? Not the best score overall, but looks like they picked up five nice sized stripers on the troll. Wonder where they were fishing?

Alex -- sorry buddy haven't seen that report. I don't know where all these charters are going each day. They are like Salmon --migratory. LoL.
We saw them right infront of Bolinas yesterday, and we also got a striper too (Texas’s brother).
Also, saw another boat picked up a striper.

Naoaki

« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 10:19:40 PM by Uminchu Naoaki »

Uminchu Naoaki

• Fisherman from Okinawa
  • Sea Lion
  • Uminchu
  • View Profile my YouTube
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
all i got is.....
FIRST!......they have to be there,,,,,then you have to be on the other side (outside) of the surf line. Tough place to be at. In between the surfers and they're "hey, this is my/our surf" and the incoming swell. I did it twice at LM and it paid off, but only when our lures got into the crashing surf line. No bites outside whatsoever. Casting your lures close to a bunch of KOOKS will get you into arguments and bad vibes. 

We tossed swimbaits at them and it worked, but it was alot of work, positioning ourselves after a set would roll through,,,,,and the looks we got could kill.

BEST TIME EVER!!!    :smt005

Damn bro! Count me in!!!! I miss you homes!
Wussup Gurl?I miss you too! I have been doing home stuff, so when the ocean is receptive to me, i can go....... that report is 10 yrs old and have not tried that since.

Craig was telling me about that year.. He said it was something else... I checked the AOTY striper history and there were some GINORMOUS fish entered in 2009... One guy got a 44 incher and like 41 in the same day.. un-f***ing-real! If you end up going on a weekend, let me know! Gotta get in on at least one scss trip this year!
& those were the very very tasty stripers!!! I must say I liked them more than Halibut almost close to WSB... :smt007 :smt007 :smt007

anything