Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:34:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Crabfest 2014 Report  (Read 12551 times)

vwool

• "Grab life by the Paddle"
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2011
Wow, this is the reason I l love NCKA!

Crabfest 2014 was a huge success, this was the biggest Crabfest to date! Despite there not being a great amount of Dungeness crab, there was not a lack of good times.

On tournament day I awoke from my teardrop trailer rental at 5:45 am and noticed what looked like a line of cars waiting for the gate to open. I couldn’t believe the amount of cars waiting for Crabfest. At this point I knew it was going to be a great day.  With minimal wind, we were able to get the day started and anglers registered starting at 7:20 am. The line in the morning for registration seemed like it was never going to end, but Narisa and Bill were able to keep the line moving.

About an hour and a half into the event the first Dungeness crab came in for measurement. It had been caught after a 30 min soak. Shortly after that more and more crabs were brought in for measurement. In the end there were an equal amount of Dungeness and Rock crab brought in for measurement. At 12:30 pm most of the kayaks were on the beach and the potluck started. There was a great array of food that five star restaurants can’t compete with, NCKA potlucks are in a league of their own.

Shortly after the potluck, the awards were given out for largest Rock crab and 1st, 2nd, 3rd largest Dungeness crab.

The largest Rock crab measured in at 6.23”, 1.38 lbs and was brought in by Scotty Swehla.

3rd place Dungeness went to Nate Lee (Spinal tap) with a crab measuring in at 6.6” and 1.48 lbs

2nd place Dungeness went to Tracey Ziomeck (sctrace) with her catch measuring in at 6.66” and weighing 1.82 lbs.

1st  place Dungeness came in measuring in at 6.78” and weighing in at 1.93 lbs. The winner of the biggest Dungeness went to Aaron Peters.

This year’s Grand Prize was a Eddyline Caribbean 14 donated by Eddyline kayaks. It was great to see all ten people at the end up there waiting for their number to be called. Wendal took home the prize and was super stoked, which was awesome considering it was his first NCKA event.

This year’s raffle proceeds went to the Diabetes Youth Families (www.dyf.org), an organization close to my heart. The raffle raised over $1600 and will support families and children living with Type one Diabetes.
This event would not have been possible without all the work behind the scenes, a big thank you goes out to: Dan Arbuckle, Ashlie Arbuckle, Bill Beckett, Jack & Kay Arbuckle, Joe & Terri Arbuckle, Ron and Suzanne, and my lovely wife Narisa. There are probably a few that I missed but know you are appreciated!

This event has been free since day one and it is all because of the great sponsors: Headwaters Kayak Shop, Eddyline Kayaks, Promar/Ahi, A.Bachar, Yakattack, NRS, Malone, Vacations in a Can, Costa, Liquid Image Company and Kala Brand Music.

And the biggest thank you goes to all the participants who make this the biggest kayak crabbing tournament in the world. Thank you NCKA!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 10:02:15 PM by vwool »
Eddyline Caribbean 12
OK Malibu Two XL
Hobie Revo

Host of Crabfest 2012-2022

Plan B

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013
Yeah! That's a blast. My first NCKA event, first ocean launch. Haha, the only thing missing was crabs in me trap.
All good though, did manage to win me a Brope.
Thanks for doing this.

Russell
Revo 13
Jackson cuda 14.

Chadrock

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Brope up fool!
Good stuff Vic. I'm glad we made it out for the festivities. Didn't get on the glassy water, but had a blast anywho.
Well done guys.
If you want to thank a Vet, be a person worth fighting for.

1st place Red Barn Classic 2010

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Thanks Victor, Dan, Eddyline and all of the sponsors.

Good times fore sure. Didn't catch a crab but had a great time paddling my Carribean in perfect conditions. Took a long walk with Karen and Molly, cooked a mountain of crab and served up the chili crab. Met some new folks, hung out with old friends, ate some good food, got some exercise. Life is good.

Scott
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

Jedmo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
What a fun filled weekend. Thanks Victor, Dan, and everyone else involve of making another Crabfest tourney a success. Both Kiel's and Scott's crab cooking were delicious. I only managed to catch two legal dungies and one rock crab. I am looking forward to seeing you all again soon.

Jedmo
1st place GS3 2009
7th place AOTY 2009

thelittleguy

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
What an outstanding event!! :smt001  Thanks to all that made it happen.  Met nothing but great folks.  The food was EXCELLENT.  To the folks that made the sliders with the guacamole, that was so good!!  Thought of going back for seconds but I didn't want to be a pig!!  Next year, we'll bring more lumpia, it started to go before it made it to the table!  To the person that bought all the 300 series tickets, did you win anything??  To Terri and Joe Arbuckle, that Hobie Sport is looking better and better.

Thanks all, my wife and I had a great time.

bob and Ramona

don't worry, be happy!

ybloc

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2012
Thanks Victor and Dan and everyone else, this was my first NCKA event and it was awesome.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 08:26:12 PM by toygoata »
Jackson Kraken

ybloc

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Jackson Kraken

ybloc

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Jackson Kraken

ybloc

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Jackson Kraken

Rider

• Sea Lion
  • It's all about the experience
  • View Profile
Thank you Victor, Dan, and all the sponsors for this event.

This was my first crabfest but I never even went on the water. Left the yak n gear at the house so I could focus on the wife. I can't remember nicer weather at bodega and I always enjoy hanging with the NCKA family.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 07:48:44 PM by Rider »
#fuckyourfeelings #dontbeadick #whatadick

Rider

• Sea Lion
  • It's all about the experience
  • View Profile
Doran
#fuckyourfeelings #dontbeadick #whatadick

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Thanks Vic and all the sponsors for a great time. This was my first time on the ocean and first time going for crab. I caught four rock crab on Saturday and my wife caught a legal dungie with a snare, so we had a crab dinner. Sunday I caught five rock crab and quite a few undersized dungies and rock crabs. Not good enough to be in the running even, but good enough. This was my first event where I didn't get skunked. Yay the skunk is over. Everything went well out on the water. All the planning and all the help I got here on the forum really paid off. Another great NCKA potluck. I'm going to have to be careful, I was a little tight in my wetsuit. It was nice to see some familiar faces and meet some new people as well.

My first crab!
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Thanks to Dan and Victor for pulling off yet another great Crabfest.
I had a blast and never even got on the water.
I'm still stuffed.
It was much needed time spent with my NCKA family.
<=>

scubaluis

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2010
Victor and Dan, had a great great time again.
THANK YOU!

Can you give us the sponsors links to their Facebook so we can thank them too.
"If you can not laugh at yourself, make fun of other people"

Stealth Fisha 500
Jackson Kraken
Ocean Kayak
Hobie Adventure
Wilderness System Tandem