Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:37:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jp52
[Today at 04:06:09 PM]

[Today at 03:38:04 PM]

[Today at 02:40:25 PM]

[Today at 02:13:58 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Big newbie mistake!  (Read 7795 times)

Jedmo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Being overly confident on my yak, yes, I finally did it. I actually flipped my outback
at Fort Ross last Monday right after BAMIV. Thank God for Jon being so close by
who lend me a hand  so I can get back on my kayak. Thanks also to hightide for
the assist.
Well, this is what happened. After a few hours on the water, the swell once again
started getting higher and higher. My first reaction was I am so ready this time
because I had taken my meds for the motion sickness. Maybe I thought about it
so much that I started feeling sick once again and out of nowhere I hurled once
again. Next thing I know, I was in the water. I did not panic or anything but I was
like, what just happened? I sat there for a little while trying to evaluate what I did
wrong. My conclusion was that I was on the wrong side of the boat when I got sick. The swell came at my right side as I was getting sick on the left side of the
kayak. Big lesson learned on my part. Again, thank God I had on my farmer john and of course my pfd on. My donation to the big blue was only an extra fish stringer,straps for the wheelez and my favorite shear for cutting bait.

If I can share anything I have learned from all of this. NEVER!NEVER!NEVER! GO
OUT ALONE BY YOURSELF. I don't care if you are ready or you have everything
you need to go out on the sea, a buddy is a must and the more the merrier.

Thanks again my hero Jon and hightide for saving my behind.

Jedmo
1st place GS3 2009
7th place AOTY 2009

Yakattack

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Glad to hear that you made it out ok Jed.

Northern Boy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile my name is phil and i'm addicted to fishing
  • Date Registered: Mar 2007
Seems like this is a rite of passage we have to go through!

Glad you're OK.

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Glad you made it out safe.
I go out alone quite often. I think most important is everyone should practice getting back on their kayak, now known as 'self rescue'.
If you have a hand on your yak you should be able to right it and get back on in all but the most extreme conditions. If it is in a bad location then swim it to a better one. Anyone should be able to right their kayak from underneath, from topside, from the bow or from the stern. One should practice getting back on the kayak at all points too, not just the middle.
My approach is that I rely on no one but myself. If someone is there to lend a hand then fine, so be it. NEVER count on it. I think this approach makes it safe for everyone who goes out with or without others.
Not practicing is just inviting trouble.
Practice, practice, practice.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 08:04:08 PM by Tote »
<=>

e2g

• Sea Lion
  • 53 lb seabass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
even with buddies around, you MUST be able to get back on the horse solo.  Fog can seperate you from your buds, and especially coming and going, folks tend to string out.  "wheres Jedmo?"  "I think hes in front of us, lets paddle faster."

If you can, start in warm water; a lake, pool whatever.  Then you will be willing to try all kinds of things cuz its not freakin cold.  Later try in cold water, then fully loaded etc.

Winner 2011 MBK Derby
Winner 2009 Fishermans Warehouse Santa Cruz Tournament
Winner 2008 MBK Derby

CaptainKayak

• Do you consider lingcod a filthy animal?
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Sorry to hear you lost some gear but I'm glad your okay Jed! This is will happen to me too. I have got to go out and practice self rescue.
I wouldn't go so far as to call a lingcod filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a lingcod's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Again, thank God I had on my farmer john and of course my pfd on

You got that right! ALWAYS dress for immersion - especially on the big blue :smt002 Having a whistle strapped to your PFD is good to have. Blow it and your buddy (or someone else) will hear from a distance and best thing about it: it's cheap, small/compact, it does not need batteries and it works even though it gets soaked :smt002

Glad you made it and thanks for sharing your experience = so others may learn from it :smt045
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 10:12:05 PM by Mooch »

Fish Master1

• If it bleeds I can kill it.
  • Manatee
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
I tend to chum the water A little bit too. :smt009.. Practice self rescue and start bringing A plastic bag to chum. Its alot easy :smt002er!
..........Sincerly A-Hull Muggle.

Timojam

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Jed, glad you made it back safely.  I relish my alone time on the big blue and never think twice about going solo, but you did get my attention so I headed out to Freshwater Lagoon for some dunking.  I have an O.B.  Dressed in my usual wet suit attire with my yak mostly rigged, sans fishing pole, I started rocking back and forth until she tipped.  This was my first baptism, 60 degree water.  I was surprised at how much effort it took to tip, then surprised even more once I reached the point of no return--it was like a body slam.  My ob was fairly easy to right, but getting back into it took a lot of effort.  After three more tips I began to finesse the remount with less effort.  I remembered the advice from someone who said when getting in, to pull the yak vertical then scissor kick when the yak drops down flat in the water--it worked, but it would have been difficult had there been a fishfinder and poles in the way.  Bottom line-don't tip over :smt005  I know we all will drink the salt water at some time, the key is to make it home to post so all of NKCA can enjoy it

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I have this half Gi Joe/Half Medic Gene that makes me carry the damndest things with me.  Whistle being one, but one of those space blankets.  There small, can cover your entire body if you get hyporthermic, and becuase they are a huge piece of aluminum foil, it makes it easier for some one to see you if you need help.  Best of all,  they are cheap, about 2-4 dollars depending where you buy them.  No reason everyone couldn't have one. 
Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2008
Is motion sickness common with kayaking?  Again, I'm new to this and am trying to figure out all the information I can.  If I know what to expect, it's easier for me to prepare :)

goldenarrow

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Some people get seasick and some don't.  You cant tell until you try.  I get sick sometimes but the more I go the less I get sick.

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2008
joy.  i'm really not a fan of vomit :)

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
but it would have been difficult had there been a fishfinder and poles in the way

Another reason to keep your kayak set-up simple. Overloading it with a bait tank, milk crate and all of that other stuff can make your kayak top heavy and will be harder for you to unflip.

...Just my 2 cents.

Eric B

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
joy.  i'm really not a fan of vomit

You should enjoy catching cabezone, then...

But don't worry...  it all gets washed off in the surf back at the beach.

anything