Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:25:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:06:12 AM]

[Today at 10:05:24 AM]

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Wetsuits....safety vs comfort  (Read 4799 times)

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
My Hydrus Supernova still feels snug around the neck.

On the wrist gaskets, Kokatat recommended that I shove a can or bottle in them, a bit larger than my wrists, to let them stretch out a bit.  It took several days, but it worked.  Still snug, but not too tight.
Thanks Tinker, roger that... :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

benuntu

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2017
I've been looking at the 3mm wetsuits, mostly for comfort.  It's mainly a safety consideration for me, for the worst case scenario of losing/sinking my boat and being far from shore.  I'm a strong swimmer and ab dive from time to time, but how much warmth is 3mm going to provide in terms of minutes?  After diving for 30 minutes in my 7mm ab wetsuit, I'm burning up and have to unzip the neck to let some water in!

The only times I've been on the ocean on a kayak was in Trinidad, and I wore shorts.  The first day was rough enough that it was almost pointless trying to paddle around the head, but I would have tried if I'd been in a wetsuit.  The second day it was glass in the morning and stayed that way for most of the afternoon...and in shorts I was HOT.  I want to be safe, but also comfortable.  Is that possible, or do I have to choose just one?
Vibe Sea Ghost 130
F&S Eagle Talon 120
Old Town Saranac 146 (aka the Tank)

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
I've been looking at the 3mm wetsuits, mostly for comfort.  It's mainly a safety consideration for me, for the worst case scenario of losing/sinking my boat and being far from shore.  I'm a strong swimmer and ab dive from time to time, but how much warmth is 3mm going to provide in terms of minutes?  After diving for 30 minutes in my 7mm ab wetsuit, I'm burning up and have to unzip the neck to let some water in!

The only times I've been on the ocean on a kayak was in Trinidad, and I wore shorts.  The first day was rough enough that it was almost pointless trying to paddle around the head, but I would have tried if I'd been in a wetsuit.  The second day it was glass in the morning and stayed that way for most of the afternoon...and in shorts I was HOT.  I want to be safe, but also comfortable.  Is that possible, or do I have to choose just one?

Whats your budget?
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

Der_Huntsman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017

I have a 5mm farmer john style suit I use for fishing. Lots of guys will probably give you better advice than me, but I have gone in the drink and was in it upwards of 20 minutes and felt completely fine. I don't know how long I will last ab diving, but the top that goes over the bottoms doubles up, so it is 10mm from mid thigh to my neck. Only my arms and legs are 5mm. I don't wear the top while fishing and just wear a base layer and a waterproof windbreaker to keep dry. Like I said, I went in the drink with just the bottoms on and was sitting in it for 20 minutes without a single concern for my temperature. I think after an hour and a half to two hours you might start to get cold though.
Formerly known as "MF"

@Der_Huntsman

benuntu

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2017
Vibe Sea Ghost 130
F&S Eagle Talon 120
Old Town Saranac 146 (aka the Tank)

Tinker

People always want to be comfortable, but you need to be safe in the water.  If you get hot in your immersion gear, pour some of that cold seawater on you - that'll cool you down.

Get something appropriate for the water temperature!

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
My Hydrus Supernova still feels snug around the neck.
On the wrist gaskets, Kokatat recommended that I shove a can or bottle in them, a bit larger than my wrists, to let them stretch out a bit.  It took several days, but it worked.  Still snug, but not too tight.
The night before going fishing, I stuff a plastic Foldgers coffee can in the neck and Nerf footballs in the wrists. Feels much better in the morning.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

anything